NatWest - Arrgghhhh

Hi,
I transferred my account a few years ago to a 'Private Account' @ £220 a year (I am sure it was cheaper but he ho). This was beneficial at the time as I had a loan and the lower APR paid for the fees.

I cancelled it earlier this year but NatWest seem to have ‘lost’ my letters. Anyway, this was cancelled eventually after this year’s £220 was deducted but I was told I would get a refund. Nothing happened so I called and was told that I couldn’t get the full refund as I had not cancelled on time. I explained that I had sent the letter on time but this had got ‘lost’. I had written a second letter, which had also ‘got lost’. She accepted this and said that she would arrange a refund but her second issue was that they could only write the cheque in my maiden name (I understand the reasons why). I told her that this was ok as I still have a bank account in that name.

Weeks later no cheque. I rang again and explained the situation again. I would get a phone call. Ten days later nothing. I rang again. I will be called within 48 hours but apparently I had had a refund of £18 which was paid to my bank account (I hadn’t noticed this as I was looking for £220).

Not really looking for any advise just needed a moan and some witty comments.

Arrrrrggggghhhhhhh!!!!!

Comments

• I would write to NatWest CUstomer Relations unit, or email them. The bank have had about half a dozen chances to respond and failed. Customer Relations Unit will investigate it thoroughly and get all available information. Write all of it chronologically down and send it or email it. The address is on the NatWest website under contact us. They would have a record of the person stating that they would agree to a FULL refund.
    I have not worked for NatWest Bank since February 2009

This username is no longer active.
  • emmalt
    emmalt Posts: 152 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I am giving them until the end of the week to respond and then I will sit down and write a VERY long letter.

There are a few other things that have gone on that have annoyed me like my switch card being cancelled without my knowledge (it still had two years to go) and trying to get an answer why was impossible - turned out we think that they changed the 'look' of the card so cancelled my card so I could have a new one. What a waste of my money!).

The thing is, when I call there is never any record of my last call. Thankfully I remember the name of the person who told me I would get a refund and the last person i spoke to.
  • morganlefay
    morganlefay Posts: 1,220 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Thanks for your rant...I have banked with Natwest for 47 years and have found them good, UNTIL lately (is it due to RBS takeover I wonder) I too pay £220 annually for not very much. PLease will you tell me what bank you switched to, and how are you finding them ? I am thinking of Nationwide as I have their Credit Card for using in Europe (thanks Martin !) but keep putting it off, tho Natwest have done some dreadful things to me lately. I am cheered by knowing that others are having doubts about Natwest too, tho my fear is that any Bank I switch to might be just as bad.....:confused:
  • I actually think RBS taking over natwest has had a positive effect. Remember end of day banking when cash ALWAYS went in overnight? that ended. Branch closure programme by NatWest Group was stopped and RBS have opened 5 more branches just this year. NatWest Group were not a competitive brand, but NatWest now is a very competitive brand in the market. To be honest RBS Well done, you have done NatWest well.
    BUT, emma, I share your frustration with the issuing of new cards without any prior knowledge. I am tempted to say to say that their was a problem with the chip design, but do not know. The record of calls would exist and can be verified. I would still suggest going through customer relations because I do think you have been messed around to be honest.
    I have not worked for NatWest Bank since February 2009

This username is no longer active.
  • RibAd
    RibAd Posts: 343 Forumite
    I agree with NWstaffmember.... take it above and beyond to Customer Relations Unit. They will take it seriously and seek to resolve it in good time
  • emmalt
    Hi All,

An update.

I rang Natwest on Friday and after being put on hold - I don't know how many times- I was finally put through to a lady who told me that I should see a refund for the full amount either today or tomorrow (nothing yet). I will not go into the details as to what actually happened as I will be writing a letter of complaint about the whole catalogue of events which I will post.

morganlefay,

I am interested to see that you have been a happy Natwest customer until recently. I have also always been happy with them until recently but in the last six months have been frustrated with the service. I hold a joint account with Lloyds with my husband (it was his account) who have also p***** me off recently as they treated me like a little naughty girl when I complained about bank charges. When my husband complained they refunded him, no questions asked.
  • emmalt
    I actually think RBS taking over natwest has had a positive effect. Remember end of day banking when cash ALWAYS went in overnight? that ended. Branch closure programme by NatWest Group was stopped and RBS have opened 5 more branches just this year. NatWest Group were not a competitive brand, but NatWest now is a very competitive brand in the market. To be honest RBS Well done, you have done NatWest well.
    BUT, emma, I share your frustration with the issuing of new cards without any prior knowledge. I am tempted to say to say that their was a problem with the chip design, but do not know. The record of calls would exist and can be verified. I would still suggest going through customer relations because I do think you have been messed around to be honest.

Sorry for being thick but I don't remember end of day banking when cash ALWAYS went in overnight? Not sure what this actually means. This might be because I never used to have any cash :rotfl:

Also, out of curiosity, where have the new branches opened?
  • RibAd wrote: »
    I agree with NWstaffmember.... take it above and beyond to Customer Relations Unit. They will take it seriously and seek to resolve it in good time
    You have chased around enough so I would refer this to the Ombudsman. I expect you'd get the refund plus a bit extra for the hassle you've had. I followed this approach with Barclaycard and got £100 for the hassle which I was happy with.
  • Dylanwing
    Dylanwing Posts: 2,015 Forumite
    I think that you have to exhaust the NW complaints procedure first. Once you are hacked off with the call centre doing nothing, you write a 'Final Letter', and at that point the complaint gets looked at, and normally actioned. Quite why you can't seem to get anything done at a lower level escapes me, it seems to be staff working to a script, and Managers unable or unwilling to use any discretion. Sorry NWstaffmember, I know a lot of you try really hard, but something is clearly failing in the process.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure