sewing machine help needed - complete beginner - I give up

iammumtoone
iammumtoone Posts: 6,377
First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've been Money Tipped!
Forumite
edited 25 January 2015 at 10:23AM in Crafting
I have just treated myself to a sewing machine :j

Spotted it in a charity shop for £30 it's a toyota classic, no idea if that is a good price but I am happy as the money went to a good cause and I have always wanted to learn how to use one.

Can anyone recommend any good websites/books for complete beginners and I mean a complete beginner :o I have no idea where to start don't even know how to thread it. It did come with the original instructions but I suspect these would be written for someone who knows what they are doing!

Also any suggestions on the first (ie easiest) projects to try.

Thanks

Comments

• tootallulah
    tootallulah Posts: 2,197 Forumite
    Hi I would go to You Tube there are loads of "how to" videos there. You do need the instructions to see how to thread the machine and wind the bobbin but that should be pretty simple.
  • iammumtoone
    Forumite
    thank you I have looked at you tube and think I might just be able to thread it now :)

Next question is can anyone recommend what brands of threads are good to buy and where from? (told you I was a complete beginner :o). I don't want cheap ones as its going to be hard enough to learn without having to worrying about the thread keep breaking.

Can't wait to give it a try now. Any other tips that would help a beginner ie how do I sew straight, is it just practice?
  • p00hsticks
    p00hsticks Posts: 12,645
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 10 January 2015 at 7:37PM

Next question is can anyone recommend what brands of threads are good to buy and where from? (told you I was a complete beginner :o). I don't want cheap ones as its going to be hard enough to learn without having to worrying about the thread keep breaking.

I don't really do much sewing these days, but as I remember Sylko was always the premier brand - not sure if you can still get it though
  • tizerbelle
    tizerbelle Posts: 1,813
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Probably one of the easiest things to sew - an envelope cushion cover. There's a video as well as the written instructions.

This site may be of help http://www.tillyandthebuttons.com/p/learn-to-sew.html I've never used it myself, just one of the first I googled!
  • Limara
    Limara Posts: 237
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite

Gutermann thread is very good, buy online from e bay or amazon always get a price and search for cheaper, you will be amazed how much prices vary. If you have a local sewing shop you still may get them delivered for less than you would pay locally.
    Dont be tempted to purchase cheap threads, they are poor quality, fray and break.
    Try searching for your model machine there are also lots of user manuals online you may find one for your machine.
    Also search for free patterns they are available for most things

• PixieDust
    PixieDust Posts: 944
    First Post
    Forumite
    Second vote for Guttermann, try fleabay for the best deals
  • pennib
    pennib Posts: 1,417
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Forumite
    I would go for Guttermann as well. Good for you giving sewing a go.

Here is my latest make. Harry Hare, made from vintage cotton and then handpainted.

https://www.facebook.com/redthreadshed/photos/pcb.584258648385198/584257861718610/?type=1&theater
  • Carfal
    Carfal Posts: 96 Forumite
    Buy some spare thread under-bobbins in the right size for your machine and fill them with black, white and any other colour thread you use a lot. Saves so much time just to pop in the right bobbin rather than having to load it before starting to sew.

As for sewing straight, get some old material and practice, practice, practice. Keep your speed down until you get the feel for the sensitivity of the foot control. If you're really struggling, use striped material, or rule lines onto plain fabric to follow, or practise without thread "sewing" along the lines of writing paper.
  • Katiehound
    Katiehound Posts: 7,513
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Forumite
    Old sheeting is ideal for practising- ask your friends if anyone has any to spare!

You can use the width of the foot as a guide for sewing straight, or stick a strip of masking tape on the base plate to the right of the needle as a line guide.

Always use at least 2 layers of fabric for practice

Have fun!

If you have a craft / sewing/ knitting shop locally ask if any of their customers sew. It is often much easier when you start a craft to have someone to help you out.
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything!
    If you found my posting helpful please hit the "Thanks" button!
    Many thanks
    -Stash busting: 337 in 2022
    Stash busting: in 2023. 120 doggy duvets, 24 shopping bags, 43 dog coats, 2 scrunchies, 10 mittens, 6 bootees, 8 glass cases, 2 A6 notebooks, 59 cards, 6 lavender bags,36 crochet angels,9 woven bones, 1 crochet knee blanket, 1 lined bag,3 owls, 88 pyramid pouches = total 420...£119.50 spent- £114.50 earned= total spend £5. Total earned for 'Dogs for Good' £546.82

2024:23 Doggy duvets, 24 pyramid pouches, 6 hot water bottle covers, 4 knitted beanies, 1 crochet angel= 58 £61 spent!!! already
  • iammumtoone
    Forumite
    UPDATE

I ca't get it to work :( I am not sure if it is me or if it is faulty, maybe this is why someone donated it to the charity shop.

Everytime I use it the top thread reel becomes tangled and I have to re-thread, I am fairly sure I am threading it correctly. I can sew very slowly for about 5-10cm before it happens. The thread that comes up from the bobbin also becomes tangled.

I dont know if it is to do with the bobbin winding, it winds unevenly with more thread at the bottom than top in a cone shape, this is not just me it did this to the last owner as well as all the bobbins it comes with are like this.

I am not sure whether it is worth taking it to someone to look at? It will probably cost more than I paid for it and I don't know if I want to spend anymore on it.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.8K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.3K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 606.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.7K Life & Family
  • 247.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure