PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

March 2015 Grocery Challenge

Options

Comments

• bargainhunterss
    Options
    I think it'll be easier to do that theresamum2 because then it's easier to set realistic goals and you're not setting yourself up to fail (that's my logic anyway!)
    Every act of kindness, no matter how small, isn’t wasted ❤️
    "It’ll be alright in the end, and if it’s not alright - it’s not the end"
    Every pound we spend is a vote for the sort of world we want

2021 wins - 1
  • just_the_two_of_us
    just_the_two_of_us Posts: 1,142 Forumite
    edited 24 February 2015 at 2:41PM
    Options
    Hi - just updated my spends for Feb and wish to aim for £200 total for March - broken down into up to £160 for food and £40 for cleaning stuff. The latter will be used only if good offers can be had/needed!

Really pleased to come under in Feb and just hope I haven't missed anything - off to check recent receipts! Had DS home for a few days so additional spends went a little awry but it was so good to have him home.

ETA found lots of unaccounted for receipts - so end result for Feb is overspend food but Total spend is under the £200 so still really pleased!
    July 16 £95/£200
    Nov 16 £0/£200

"To be beautiful means to be yourself. You don't need to be accepted by others. You need to accept yourself." Thich Nhat Hahn
  • theresamum2
    Options
    Thank you bargainhunterss im also trying to use whats in my cupboards and freezer as well. im going to write a list going to go shopping this friday and see what happens :)
    Mum to two girls chloe & Lily-Rose
  • davidsdesire
    Options
    i would like to join as well. My goal amount is $350USD which is (ok, so I need to learn how to make the Pound sign!) $195pounds. I will spend an additional $100 on sale items -corned beef, cabbage, bangers, potatoes--all on good sale this month for St Paddy's Day--apparently we have a huge Irish ancestry population in Boston. :) I'll be baking my own scones and soda bread...they things they sell in the shops as scones and soda bread are disgusting. :)
  • skintmum2012
    Options
    £110 spent today which is dogs food for the month and my frozen food shop I buy frozen for the days when I am to busy to cook they would have been Mac Donalds days not that long ago so getting better that's £110 plus £45 on least so 155 of a 300 budget leaving me 145 for the month .
    February GC £261.97/24 NSDS 10/12
    march 300/290 NSD 12/6
    ARPIL 300/ 238.23 NSD'S 10/3

• Bobarella
    Bobarella Posts: 10,824 Forumite
    Savvy Shopper! I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Hi All
    March spends will begin for us this Friday. Sticking with £200 for March which works for my annual goal of £2400.

Bob
    " Your vibe attracts your tribe":D

Debt neutral :) 27/03/17 from £40k:eek: in the hole 2012.
    Roadkill 17 £56.58 2016-£62.28 2015- £84.20)
    RYSAW17 £1900 2016 £2,535.16 2015 £1027.20
  • Hello,

Would it be possible to add me on the list to the value of £225 thats for two humans and 1 dog. My food shopping month starts on the 28th! Were away from the 19th March so will be missing a weeks of this price. Hoping to use that spare money for food when were camping in Wales!

Nessy
    Nessy x

March GC - £4.50/£200
    House Savings - £2951/£18000
  • oldtractor
    oldtractor Posts: 2,262 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    Can I join please? I'm going to keep all receipts to see whay I spend on.
  • joedenise
    joedenise Posts: 16,561 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi, I'm back in again for March. Although DH has already been paid I do the GC from 1st of month. I'm going for £250 again and anything left over will go into Christmas or bulk buy budget. I have one more shop in February so will be back again next week.

Denise
  • joedenise
    joedenise Posts: 16,561 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    WantToBeSE wrote: »
    I haven't bought any meat this month, as i am trying to eat less of it, but am quickly running out of meal ideas. Any vegetarians around that can suggest meals for me? I have plenty of beans, lentils and some tofu and plenty of spices and herbs.

I do have some bacon and pork in the freezer to use up this month, but i normally stock my freezer up every month at the butcher. Meals like spah bol/chilli/roast dinner will last us 2-3 meals, but i am unsure how to accomplish this with veggie based meals. I cant eat quorn as it gives me a funny tummy too, and hate TVP mince.

I'd make a crap vegetarian!

I would suggest you have a look at Jack Monroe's website (https://www.agirlcalledjack.com) or perhaps try to borrow one of her books from the library.

Loads of cheap veggie meals in there, mainly using beans.

I used to do a kind of spag bol years ago where I just finely chopped (or grated) up loads of veg, onion, carrot, mushroom, courgette, aubergine or whatever was in the fridge and fry it all together until soft and then add a tin of chopped tomatoes. Even my kids liked it (probably because the veg was so finely chopped you couldn't see what anything was, LOL!).

Denise
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport