how to deal with 10 year old debt

Options
hi, i would be gratefull for any advice. i am on long term esa support group benefit, i have five defaults that i am paying off at between £5 and £10 per month, they range from £400 to £7000 owing so i know i will be paying them for ever, the agencies i pay are happy with my payments and i am up to date. my problem now is that i received a letter yesterday from MK recoveries telling me i owe £2777 for a hire purchase i had over ten years ago, i have not payed or had any contact until now. MK recoveries allready handle one of the debts that i currently pay so i dont know if this makes any differance. i dont know how or if i should respond, is the debt still valid after all this time, what do i tell them if they phone me regarding this debt. any help please. sorry about spellings and thank you in advance for your advice

Comments

• rockm87
    rockm87 Posts: 847 Forumite
    Wedding Day Wonder
    Options
    Have you check your online credit report? Maybe getting together all details of your debt, and creating a budget on how you are paying them off will be helpful?

If you post a statement of affairs on here, there are lots of people with good advice.

Why are you paying so little on your debts? You need to be in a position to pay more, so sorting yourself our will help.

Dont resign to the fact you will just be paying out forever!!
    Total Debt in Feb 2015 - £6,052 | DEBT FREE 26/05/2017
    Swagbucks £200 Valued Opinions £100
    Dave Ramsey Baby Step 2 | Mr Money Mustache Addict
  • brez22
    brez22 Posts: 23 Forumite
    Options
    thanks for your reply. i only get £224 per fortnight as i cant work due to disability, i juggle money around to pay what i am paying. i just wanted to know about old debts
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure