Retention deals from sim only to contract

Options
shaggy
shaggy Posts: 1,030 Forumite
First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
Hello all. Long story short. I've always been on a sim only deal since the networks made 18 then 24 month contracts the norm and have always bought my mobiles sim free (usually second hand a few months after release when prices stabilise)

I've been working out that this is not always the cheapest approach to get the latest greatest mobile. I know of several people who are on contracts and EE retentions have given them iPhone or other latest mobile for £25-30 per month on two years.

So, as I am not currently on ee where I know my friends have got this sort of deal, is to get myself on an ee sim only contract, ideally on a 30 day one not 12 months, and a few months down the line try my luck with retentions to see if I can get whatever mobile for around 25-30 per month.

Question is has anyone moved from sim only to contract and got a decent phone at a good monthly rate or am I just better off sticking with whatever is a good sim only deal at the moment.

Comments

• Collabora
    Collabora Posts: 1,360 Forumite
    Options
    If you dont mind an iPhone 5c then you can get an unlocked one from Giffgaff for as little as £9 if you pay an upfront fee, then you can either get a giffgaff goodiebag or sim only deal or get a full giff gaff package for £12 and the phone will still remain unlocked even after placing any sim in it
  • AndyPK
    AndyPK Posts: 4,241 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I don't think your going to get a free mobile, if you try to cancel a £10 / month sim only deal.

They will just say, ok bye.

I notice iphone 5s on ebay are £300 ish, but don't know what you have now.
  • Collabora
    Options
    iPhone 5c from Giffgaff unlocked is £299 to buy outright
  • AndyPK
    AndyPK Posts: 4,241 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    The c is the coloured plastic cheap one.

What size memory
  • Collabora
    Options
    AndyPK wrote: »
    The c is the coloured plastic cheap one.

What size memory

8GB but is a great phone
  • shaggy
    shaggy Posts: 1,030 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    AndyPK wrote: »
    I don't think your going to get a free mobile, if you try to cancel a £10 / month sim only deal.

They will just say, ok bye.

I notice iphone 5s on ebay are £300 ish, but don't know what you have now.

I agree, but my mins/data usage usually means £15-£20 sim only contracts.

Have just got myself a Note 4 Sim Free second hand and taking into account the price paid + cost of sim only per month it works out roughly the same as a two year contract for £30 per month.

I change phones a lot, usually once every 12 months and figured getting on a contract might work out cheaper as long as I can get some sort of retention deal!!
  • Collabora
    Options
    shaggy wrote: »
    I agree, but my mins/data usage usually means £15-£20 sim only contracts.

Have just got myself a Note 4 Sim Free second hand and taking into account the price paid + cost of sim only per month it works out roughly the same as a two year contract for £30 per month.

I change phones a lot, usually once every 12 months and figured getting on a contract might work out cheaper as long as I can get some sort of retention deal!!

well try o2 refresh or tesco mobile anytime upgrade. how this works is you pay your monthly bill as normal, but this is in 2 parts a small free for phone and then a small part for airtime. you pay for the phone over 24 months and then its yours and your monthly bill is reduced so you just pay for airtime, this allows you to upgrade your phone at anytime during the 24 months, as long as you pay the remaining amount of the phone part of contract and the airtim is untouched

http://www.o2.co.uk/refresh

http://shop.tescomobile.com/anytime-upgrade#what-is-anytime-upgrade
  • robbies_gal
    robbies_gal Posts: 7,895 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    dont think you'll get anything good just for being on a simo for a few months
    What goes around-comes around
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.9K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.5K Travel & Transport