»

MSE News: TalkTalk to take over Tesco broadband and home phone customers

New Post Advanced Search

Welcome to the new MSE Forum!

If you were registered on the old Forum BEFORE 6th February 2020, you will need to reset your password (here) before you are able to log in. When you've reset your password, you can close this message with the 'X' in the top-right corner to make it disappear. If you need any help getting started, click here.

MSE News: TalkTalk to take over Tesco broadband and home phone customers

edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Phones & TV
22 replies 4.4K views
Former_MSE_PalomaFormer_MSE_Paloma News reporter
531 posts
I've been Money Tipped! Newshound!
edited 30 November -1 at 12:00AM in Phones & TV
"Tesco broadband and homephone customers will be moved to TalkTalk over the coming months, while it now owns Blinkbox ..."
Read the full story:

TalkTalk to take over Tesco broadband and home phone customers

OfficialStamp.gif

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.

Replies

• I've already received my email from Blinkbox telling me they're now part of the TalkTalk family... and a reasonable FAQ. Apparently they're going to continue with the Clubcard points, but I can't see that lasting long term.

It'd be really good if they maintain the ability to download purchases - it's the one feature that sets them apart from other providers as they're almost all identical on price.
  • their info page says if you move away, cancel charges still apply? isn't a change of ISP a major change to a contract, allowing opt outs?
    Long time away from MSE, been dealing real life stuff..
    Sometimes seen lurking on the compers forum :-)
  • EctophileEctophile
    4.1K posts
    Forumite
    Eighth Anniversary 2500 Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    their info page says if you move away, cancel charges still apply? isn't a change of ISP a major change to a contract, allowing opt outs?

Only if they change the contract. If the service remains exactly the same, and at the same price, then nothing has changed except the name.
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
  • chanz4chanz4
    10.2K posts
    Forumite
    Tenth Anniversary 10000 Posts Xmas Saver!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If they don't give the free broadband which is the perk for Tesco bank customers, I will term. Mind you would never have talktalk, as when used to work for bt anovo they were crap
    Don't put your trust into an Experian score - it is not a number any bank will ever use & it is generally a waste of money to purchase it. They are also selling you insurance you dont need.
  • chanz4chanz4
    10.2K posts
    Forumite
    Tenth Anniversary 10000 Posts Xmas Saver!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wonder if they will sell Tesco mobile, was going to upgrade tom
    Don't put your trust into an Experian score - it is not a number any bank will ever use & it is generally a waste of money to purchase it. They are also selling you insurance you dont need.
  • robin58robin58
    2.8K posts
    Forumite
    chanz4 wrote: »

Unlike a fixed price for a broadband service, Tesco can make more money out of the telephone service as people tend to chat longer on a mobile, hence more income.
    The more I live, the more I learn.
    The more I learn, the more I grow.
    The more I grow, the more I see.
    The more I see, the more I know.
    The more I know, the more I see,
    How little I know.!! ;)
  • I've read they are remaining committed to Tesco Mobile. Probably one of the only things that is making them money currently.
  • I am wondering what will happen to the bought copies of movies on blinkbox if they ever decide to close it down
  • jon81ukjon81uk
    832 posts
    Forumite
    500 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    I've already received my email from Blinkbox telling me they're now part of the TalkTalk family... and a reasonable FAQ. Apparently they're going to continue with the Clubcard points, but I can't see that lasting long term.

It'd be really good if they maintain the ability to download purchases - it's the one feature that sets them apart from other providers as they're almost all identical on price.

iTunes is probably the only other major one where the focus is on downloadable copies rather than streaming.
  • cw18cw18
    8.1K posts
    Forumite
    Part of the Furniture 5000 Posts Photogenic
    ✭✭✭✭
    chanz4 wrote: »
    I've read they are remaining committed to Tesco Mobile. Probably one of the only things that is making them money currently.
    Bit torn on this one.

I have a Tesco Mobile contract, which I'm tied to until March 2016. I'm actually having problems with major time lag on text messages between my OH and myself every couple of weeks (no-one else - need to check if he's the only person I text regularly on the network he uses), and I know it's not the handset (second suggestion from Tesco - after they put all the blame onto his network/handset and said the solution would be for him to request a replacement SIM) as I've been with them almost 3 years and changed handset (totally different make which also required a SIM change) almost a year ago. So in some respects I'd like to get away from the Tesco/O2 network to see if that solves the problem,

But I have my home phone and broadband with TalkTalk, and (whilst rarely having had a problem in the 7 years I've been with them) have intentionally kept my mobile with a different provider so that the chances of losing everything at once is as small as possible..

Not sure who Tesco would sell their mobile network out to though, given they piggy-back on O2?
    Cheryl
This discussion has been closed.

Quick links

Essential Money | Who & Where are you? | Work & Benefits | Household and travel | Shopping & Freebies | About MSE | The MoneySavers Arms