PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The KonMarie method

Options

Comments

• tibawo
    tibawo Posts: 1,189 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I can see the floor!!

Dilemma is dd had guess who out last night and left it out, do I put it away so I can Hoover or will the munchkin just get it back out again as her cousin is coming!
    Go get it!
  • CKgeordieinlondon
    CKgeordieinlondon Posts: 92 Forumite
    edited 17 June 2015 at 4:16PM
    Options
    Hello all back from mu holidays.

What a joy it was to take my ranger rolled clothes out of my bag and pop them in the hotel drawers/shelves.took about 5 minutes .Pre KM I used to just hang what needed hanging and leave the rest in the case.

OH hasn't discovered ranger rolling yet but did fold all his clothes neatly. He was most upset when security rifled through it. Not because he was carrying any contraband, just because they messed up all his neat folds.

What security were curious about were the stone tumblers we'd bought to drink our wine in whilst away. (Forgot to take plastic and you can't take glass on carry on)

Which brings me neatly onto glasses.

We have hundreds. All shapes colours and sizes. Stem , tumbler, communion, sherry,shot you name it we have a glass for it.

I'm also very good at breaking them so we don't have a full set. I'm very happy with this natural wastage and don't care that non of them match.

However you must make sure any guests know how happy you are with your mismatches or wine in tumblers.

I was stunned when my sister bought me a set of wine glasses for christmas,"Because, it would be nice to have a full set"

She's been to my house many times . She's seen the cupboards full of glasses. It's not like I've ever gave her wine in a jam jar or anything.

Also surprised as our present rule has been things that get used up
  • choose_wisely
    Options
    I was one of those aspirational housewives, trying to keep up with SIL who could and still can do everything. I never got my hostess trolley but did have lots of cut glass hors d'oeuvre dishes and covered cheese dishes for when I was entertaining.

The liquer, whiskey, sherry, wine, champagne glasses and tumblers were free with petrol and after spending a good few years in the loft are now washed and ready to join the afore mentioned items in the charity shop.

Last week I took an item from my kitchen drawer which my children didn't recognise. It was a butter curler at one end and a melon baller at the other. It did not go back in the drawer, or even to the charity shop!

I am waiting for someone to help me get two boxes out of a top cupboard. Several years ago I labeled them, so know that they contain 1970's duvet covers, damask table cloths that must be nearly 100 years old, various coloured towels including ruby anniversary unused red ones given to parents in law, again in the 1970's. They are all to go!
  • mrs-moneypenny
    mrs-moneypenny Posts: 15,519 Forumite
    edited 17 June 2015 at 4:44PM
    Options
    Choose wisely a museum could be interested in some of the table cloths! Sounds like we each have little time capsules rapped in various areas of our homes!
    I'm off to spend an hour in the attic and see what I can bring down to kondo.

I've never had a fish kettle or a hostess trolley but my melon baller went to the CS in my last kitchen kondo. (The never used ice cream maker is promised to my DD2 next time she's round) I have lots of mismatched glassware but no sherry ones. I do like sherry but it comes out of a tumbler. I also have lots of stemmed wine glasses but they only come out high days and family occasions so wondering whether they should be kondoed. just looked in the cupboard there are three ice cream sundae glasses!!!! WHY???? I have never in my life Mae anyone an ice cream sundae. Nearest I came was a coke float when the kids were younger and I think they were done in pint glasses.
    Looks like the school fete will have a very healthy bric-à-brac stall this year.
    SPC~12 ot 124

In a world that has decided that it's going to lose its mind, be more kind my friend, try to Be More Kind
  • System
    System Posts: 178,097 Community Admin
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I often wonder if giving stuff to a charity shop is such a good thing. I know the money goes to a good cause but i wonder whether it just sits there in someone elses house adding to their pile of junk.
  • silvasava
    silvasava Posts: 4,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Its beginning to feel like AA here - I am confessing to owning a hostess trolley and using it - there I've said it. i use it when we have friends and family round for dinners 'cos I just put all my veg in the trolley & everyone helps themselves - bit like a carvery lol. Plates nicely warm and gravy kept hot. I have a very small kitchen so its something that will not be kondo'd yet as it still gives me joy ;)
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    My mother-in-law has had a hostess trolley for 30 years and hasn't used it for about 29!
    :p She's keeping it nice so it can be handed down to you, caz!

Grapefruit knives, cake forks, cake servers, pizza cutting wheels, melon ballers, crinkle-cut chip cutters. Those chip cutters where you put a whole spud in and pull the handle down. Slicey things for runner beans, for those who like their runner beans in thin strings. Egg slicers. Cheeseboards with cheesewire and those curly-ended knives. Spaghetti lifters. Spoon rests. Those funny little teacup/teapot combos which keep turning up in the chazzers............. the list is endless, isn't it? :rotfl:

Any fans of Terry Pratchett's Discworld novels here, and have you encountered Anoia (pronounced Annoy-yer), the minor goddess of Things Which Get Stuck in Drawers? I think she makes periodic visitations to many homes. In fact, I feel a turf-out of my cutlery drawer is needed soon.

Been at work using up my scrap paper and pencils for note-taking. Have finished up three pencils in the last seven days, so am getting through them.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • Igamogam
    Igamogam Posts: 6,024 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud! First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    GreyQueen wrote: »
    :)
    No end of household items can fall into this category, especially food service and kitchen implements. Have you ever in your life used a fish kettle or a souffle dish?

Errum Yes and yes

Made jelly in a jelly mould?

Oops yes again!

How many tablecloths do you have and who was prime minister when one of them last had an outing?

Dont have fancy ones only for Christmas but we have wipe clean 'cloth' on most days - I have 2 and change them every couple of weeks.....so I guess that means Cameron ( sadly)
    We won't be barbarians if we say Life's too short to launder tablecloths, polish silver or faddle around with cruets.

No silver cruet though:rotfl:. Fish kettle I used a few times then sold it to a friend who was really keen - I have borrowed it a couple of times since;) And jelly moulds have now gone now children grown up - although 20 something one did want a green jelly bunny for her birthday last year and was sad I had got rid of the mould.........'but dont you keep everything Mum??!!!'

Actually it was the selling of the fish kettle that got us (my close circle of friends) about kitchen gadgets. We all had a clear out then an evening of food made/prepared/cooked by gadgets that we no longer use - pancake makers/panini press /pasta makers/etc etc. Great fun and the end of it we had a swap session and also decided that the appliances and gadgets that we were keeping were available for loan from each other when wanted........created a lot of space in cupboards. So I am the 'keeper of the ice cream maker and pancake maker' and others have waffle makers pop corn .........you get the picture. Really works well :)
    Be the change you want to see -with apologies to Gandhi :o
    In gardens, beauty is a by-product. The main business is sex and death. ~Sam Llewelyn
    'On the internet no one knows you are a cat' :) ;)
  • pigpen
    pigpen Posts: 41,017 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Judi wrote: »
    I often wonder if giving stuff to a charity shop is such a good thing. I know the money goes to a good cause but i wonder whether it just sits there in someone elses house adding to their pile of junk.

Do you really care so long as it is out of your house? If they are daft enough to let it in their house then they can deal with it.. I do wonder occasionally how many times charity shops get money for the same items.. like how many times it is donated and redonated...

80 items thrown at ebeast.
    LB moment 10/06 Debt Free date 6/6/14
    Hope to be debt free until the day I die
    Mortgage-free Wannabee (05/08/30)
    6/6/14 £72,454.65 (5.65% int.)
    08/12/2023 £33602.00 (4.81% int.)
  • greent
    greent Posts: 10,671 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic
    Options
    I have to confess owning a 'Breville-type' sandwich maker (had since 1989 - was free with a catalogue), a George Foreman grill (my second - the first was used and used until it died), a full set of 8 or 10 Waterford crystal glasses (sherry, whisky, red wine, white wine, champagne) with matching decanter and 'nibbles' bowls, another set of Royal Doulton wine glasses (they're my 'everyday' ones (not that I drink wine every day lol!), a cheese knife with a pointy curled end (I got rid of the board), a cake slice, pastry forks, 2 tablecloths (both plain cream) and other kitchen-y stuff which some would be horrified by (and I dread to think *just* how much Denby I have.....) The only things from the above not used are the decanter, nibbles bowls and sherry glasses - but I love them all and they are joyful :D My children all love using pastry/ cake forks to eat cake with - even the 6 year old :D:D

I also have about 2 dozen tumblers - either plain Tesco ones or IKEA pretty ones. We can get through a lot of them before the dishwasher goes on :D As the plain ones break they will not be replaced.

I am having my kitchen refitted later this year and it will be re-KM-d at that time. I truly suspect that there will be very little to go second time around - I love my kitchen and working in it (and my new toy - my bright purple Kitchenaid) and think I've got rid of most extraneous and un-joyful items :)
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/11 £89873 01/13 £52546 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    Net sales 2024: £20
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport