PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

The KonMarie method

Options

Comments

• snoozer
    snoozer Posts: 3,588 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Re: jogging pants, I find the best way to do this, especially if they are a bit thick is - both legs together then fold in the sticky out bit at the crotch so that they are rectangular from top to bottom, fold the bottom of the legs up to halfway, and do the same to the top, repeat, then fold them together. It means they go into a neat fold, they're not too bulky that they keep trying to unravel and they stand up quite well.

Hope that helps.
  • jinny
    jinny Posts: 1,889 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi and welcome Clutterfree
    I can relate to 'Cathy Cuboard syndome' I often looked tidy until you looked in hidy places.
    I like you would be tidy in some areas like focusing on getting an imacculate bathroom but laundry piled up in front of washer with a sink full of dishes all day. Focusing on just one area whilst another stays messy. Also sitting around reading lots of books on organising and decluttering whilst chaos around me.:o
    This book is the only one that has worked and got me tidy
    nothing short of magic:T
    happy easter everyone:EasterBun:easter:
    ”Pour yourself a drink, (tea for me now)
    Put on some lipstick
    and pull yourself together”
    - Elizabeth Taylor
  • NouveauRiche
    Options
    jinny wrote: »
    Hi and welcome Clutterfree
    I can relate to 'Cathy Cuboard syndome' I often looked tidy until you looked in hidy places.
    I like you would be tidy in some areas like focusing on getting an imacculate bathroom but laundry piled up in front of washer with a sink full of dishes all day. Focusing on just one area whilst another stays messy. Also sitting around reading lots of books on organising and decluttering whilst chaos around me.:o
    This book is the only one that has worked and got me tidy
    nothing short of magic:T
    happy easter everyone:EasterBun:easter:

jinny - I soooo relate to your post - I think we must be twins separated at birth!
    My house can be an absolute tip, (but my cupboards and drawers have always been tidy) and yet my bathroom always looks like it's ready for a photo shoot. My friends and family can never decide if I'm eccentric or just plain crackers!
  • iQueen
    iQueen Posts: 810 Forumite
    edited 3 April 2015 at 12:30PM
    Options
    Hi Everyone,
    Just spent the past week reading this entire thread! Phew!

Contrary to my user name, my house is full to bursting with clutter. Ha ha! Mine too. But it's dwindling now. :)

When I joined MSE it was to post on a thread to rid our homes of clutter, hence my user name. Almost 8 years later, I am still not free of clutter. I've been trying to de-clutter for over 8 years too. MK's method is the only one that has properly motivated me. All my de-clutter books, apart from MK's, have been kondoed!

I've not got the Marie Kondo book but I am tempted to buy it. I thought long and hard before allowing it into my house, after reading a lot about MK online - it seemed to contradict her advice. I'm SO glad I bought it - it actually makes discarding excess and sorting the house out, EXCITING, and do-able! :j
    About a year ago I watched a YouTube video on folding tops and undies the Kondo way. I did everyone's drawers and hubby told me it'd be a fad and I'd never keep it up.
    He was wrong! A year on I still use the folding technique and store vertically in colour order so I am proof that the system works long term. Thanks for letting us know that it works really long-term. :T
    Although I have done the folding technique for a year, I have not done the discarding, so that is now my mission. Definitely get the book, not only will it help you to become enthusiastic about getting rid of stuff, it changes your mindset about excess in other areas of life. :dance:

Years ago I watched Anthea Turner's Perfect Housewife. I always remember her going to a reasonably tidy home and saying to the lady "but you don't have a problem, everything seems in order". The lady then opened her cupboards and everything was crammed in there out of sight! Anthea nicknamed her Cathy Cupboards! I can totally relate to that, but now I have so much stuff it is spilling over into cardboard boxes. This is often the case. :rotfl:Actually, much of my stuff never made it into my (still) empty cupboards and drawers!

It is starting to get me down - enough is enough! Visual clutter really affects me - it clutters my mind, paralysing action and thought. :(

I am a hoarder and I need to stop. I thought that I was a hoarder, but I've discovered that I don't buy, collect or 'save', I just haven't 'got round' to discarding unneeded stuff, which I did regularly, previously! Now, I'm motivated, I have no problem discarding - can't get rid of stuff quickly enough! :rotfl:

Look forward to sharing with you and finally becoming clutter free in both name and nature!

xx

The best advice I had, is to stop non-essentials coming into the home - then, at least it will not get worse. I have been doing this, for over 5 years.

In the the past 3 months, I have joyfully been able to discard excess clothes, books and bedding. I still find the process really exhilerating, because results are instantaneous. I've even been able to ditch some random sentimental things, that I have [STRIKE]tripped over[/STRIKE] come across!

I'm following MK's list, however, I have become so intolerant of clutter now, that I will just 'do' a bag, box or drawer as soon as it annoys me. My laundry basket is empty, for the first time ever! Yay.

Go for it, Clutterfree!
    Needs, NOT wants!
    No food waste since November 2010. :j
    No debts.
  • jinny
    jinny Posts: 1,889 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    edited 3 April 2015 at 1:26PM
    Options
    Hi N RICHE

I have an interest in mental health issues due to a family member affected by it. I read lots of articles and medical papers to keep updated. I read something about mild ocd and attention deficit disorder one of the symptoms was hyper focusing on unimportant issues in thought or actions whilst disregarding important ones.
    It struck a cord with me. I can't stand for instance lots of clutter on windowsills and coffee tables.
    However would have no trouble climbing into bed over a pile of clothes ect. Remotes have to be tidy and straightened as well as curtains have to be even spaced when open. I could live with not vacuuming and dusting for days though.

I'm not just saying this but this book has helped me a lot.
    I have a little routine each morning and evening and its so much easier being tidy. I know it's difficult when you are shattered each evening but it's so much better to do the dishes and tidy up before bed. I used to regularly leave them until next day or half heartedly steep them overnight. I just get myself into gear and JUST DO IT! As the Nike ad says. If I have left dishes facing them next day is depressing.
    I use a timer now to get jobs done it really helps.
    When I start to cook anything now
    Ive started to first fill the washing up bowl with hot soapy water to fling things in and definitely tidy as I go.
    ”Pour yourself a drink, (tea for me now)
    Put on some lipstick
    and pull yourself together”
    - Elizabeth Taylor
  • Igamogam
    Igamogam Posts: 6,024 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud! First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Anybody using zapper to off load books DVDs etc and make a bit of money ....there is and an extra 20% added for this weekend only
    Be the change you want to see -with apologies to Gandhi :o
    In gardens, beauty is a by-product. The main business is sex and death. ~Sam Llewelyn
    'On the internet no one knows you are a cat' :) ;)
  • Igamogam
    Igamogam Posts: 6,024 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud! First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Well I am kondoing with earnest and a bit of renewed vigour - not sure where its come from - maybe being released by the stuff I am waving bye bye too:D Steady stream of fr**glers calling to collect stuff that otherwise I think would have been wheelie binned - I am happy its being kept out of landfill:) Boot is filling up with stuff for CS tomorrow. Some stuff set aside for selling and a pile for recycle centre ( electricals/electronics - OH dept). Old garden furniture destined for log burner and some boxes of stuff to take to work week on Monday. Then there is some general konomo going straight to wheelie bin. I have even managed to bin some sentimental stuff:eek: namely a ceramic glazed plant pot that my mother brought back from one of her many travels - nice blue and white with a saucer - unfortunately frost got it years ago and the glaze has come off pot. No idea why I was keeping it. I thought it reminded me of my dear mum who died very young, younger than I am now, but I picked it up and realised I no longer saw her when I looked at it - pot in bin and saucer now under a plant that had a nasty plastic one:)

I am not discarding in the traditional sense of The Great KM, but I am kondoing. IYSWIM:D

One shed almost empty. When it is it will go on Fr**cycle and if not wanted, it will be chopped for fire wood:)
    Be the change you want to see -with apologies to Gandhi :o
    In gardens, beauty is a by-product. The main business is sex and death. ~Sam Llewelyn
    'On the internet no one knows you are a cat' :) ;)
  • Clutterfree
    Clutterfree Posts: 3,678 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Photogenic
    Options
    My big wake up call was when my hubby said that I'd end up like my step-mum.
    She was the biggest hoarder ever! However, she had a large 5 bedroom Georgian townhouse, with a basement (that alone was almost large as the downstairs of our home!) so she could use several rooms to store her things. I live in a small cottage which is bursting at the seams.

When she died in September 2012 it was down to my brother and I to sort through it all. It was a mammoth task. For example, she had hoarded lots of packets of facial/baby wipes in a cupboard for make up removal. I didn't count how many packets there were, but I gave half to my S-I-L and kept half for myself to use. 2 and a half years after her death I am finally using up the last packet of those wipes! :eek:
    I was also so sad to find lots of things that she had "kept for best" so never had the enjoyment from them.

I recall on one of the hoarding programmes that I watched that the majority of us hoard for psychological reasons. The most common reason is fear of abandonment. We hoard because even if people leave us, "things" can't leave us unless we choose to get rid of them.
    I am sure this was the case with my step-mum - she was adopted.
    I think it is probably true with me too because my mum left when I was 8 years old.

2 weeks ago I took 6 dustbin sacks full to the charity shop and that was before KonMarie so hopefully I will have lots more to discard with this new method.

I must get the book ordered.
    Take care xx
    :heart: Ageing is a privilege not everyone gets.
  • mrs-moneypenny
    mrs-moneypenny Posts: 15,519 Forumite
    Options
    Clutter free the link to the book was posted somewhere on this thread I listened to the whole thing via YouTube, it took about 5 hours. So if you don't want to buy it that's an option.
    SPC~12 ot 124

In a world that has decided that it's going to lose its mind, be more kind my friend, try to Be More Kind
  • Clutterfree
    Clutterfree Posts: 3,678 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Clutter free the link to the book was posted somewhere on this thread I listened to the whole thing via YouTube, it took about 5 hours. So if you don't want to buy it that's an option.

Thanks, but I tried the link and it no longer works. :(
    :heart: Ageing is a privilege not everyone gets.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure