PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! In order to help keep the Forum a useful, safe and friendly place for our users, discussions around non-MoneySaving matters are not permitted per the Forum rules. While we understand that mentioning house prices may sometimes be relevant to a user's specific MoneySaving situation, we ask that you please avoid veering into broad, general debates about the market, the economy and politics, as these can unfortunately lead to abusive or hateful behaviour. Threads that are found to have derailed into wider discussions may be removed. Users who repeatedly disregard this may have their Forum account banned. Please also avoid posting personally identifiable information, including links to your own online property listing which may reveal your address. Thank you for your understanding.

🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

New apartment...Bill from previous tenant

Options
I moved into a new apartment with my girlfriend at the beginning of November (our tenancy started on the 6th). It's my first time, but my girlfriend has lived on her own for about four years now. We opened an account with Spark for gas and electricity; however, shortly after moving in we began receiving letters from Southern Electric, addressed to 'The Occupier', stating that a gas bill to the value of £10.75 is owed between a period towards the end of October - about two weeks before our tenancy even started.

I ignored and binned the first couple of letters because they were blatantly -- or so I assumed -- not addressed to us due to having only just moved in and given when our tenancy agreement was valid from. However, two further letters received by SSE I have kept and opened (I am not sure of the legal implications of this so hopefully it is not a problem) and they are demanding an overdue payment or else consequences.

The bill is a poultry sum, so if I need to pay it I will, but it's the principal of the matter for which I would rather not.

Ideally I'd call them up, explain the situation and provide proof of our new tenancy to make them go away. I don't really know where we stand or what the best course of action is, so any help will be appreciated!

Comments

• Pixie5740
    Pixie5740 Posts: 14,515 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    You are the occupier so it's perfectly fine for you to open letters address to the occupier. If the bill is for usage before your tenancy started you could forward the letters to your LL or LA as the LL will be liable for the utilities during the period between tenancies. Also contact Spark and tell them you weren't the occupier for the period on the bill.
  • Marktheshark
    Marktheshark Posts: 5,841 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    If they are addresses to the occupier then you have no contract with them.
    Do not give them your name, write no contract return to sender and put them back in the post box.
    Only start worrying if they send a bill in your name.
    I do Contracts, all day every day.
  • kinger101
    kinger101 Posts: 6,296 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    edited 3 January 2015 at 4:33PM
    Options
    You are "the occupier" so the letters were addressed to you. You should have opened them. Phone them up, and tell them when you moved in, and give meter readings for these dates.

It's possible it relates to a short period between changeover from SSE to your current supplier. When you move it, you become the customer of the existing supplier. Changing suppliers does not occur instantaneously. However, if it's not your bill, they'll chase someone else for it.
    "Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance" - Confucius
  • Loopy28
    Loopy28 Posts: 463 Forumite
    Options
    This is quite common and normally occurs when either

-There is a gap between the old tenant moving out and the new one moving in, meaning a small amount of energy has been used, perhaps for viewings/if a fridge has been left running etc. In this case the bill needs to be forwarded to the letting agent or landlord/lady as they are liable.

-Or it could be that meter readings were not given by the previous occupier when moving out or by you when moving in and the energy provider has estimated these. This is uncommon as letting agents are normally careful to do this but worth checking if the reading is estimated or not.

I worked for British Gas many years ago and this was something that used to happen all the time, noone ever ended up paying it and anything under £30 used to be written off as too expensive to take enforcement action on.

Either way, you are not liable and the bill needs to be forwarded to the letting agent or landlord with a cover letter to state it was for the period before you moved in. If you have changed to Spark, has the supplier changed hands yet from Southern Electric? This does not normally happen from the day you move in so you might have to pay Southern Electric from the day you moved in until the date of the supplier transfer.
    45002 Posts: 802 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    You only pay for gas and electric at that address from the date you moved in.

If you get any letters addressed to the previous Tenants.

Just cross the address out.

Write on the Envelope.

Left this address, Return to sender please.

Pop it in a letter box next time you pass one and it will not cost you anything, you don't even need to stick a stamp on it...
    Advice given on Assured and Regulated Tenancy, Further advice should always be sought from a Solicitor....
  • kinger101
    Options
    45002 wrote: »
    You only pay for gas and electric at that address from the date you moved in.

Just cross the address out.

Write on the Envelope.

Left this address, Return to sender please.

Pop it in a letter box next time you pass one and it will not cost you anything, you don't even need to stick a stamp on it...

The letter was not addressed to the previous tenants. It was addressed to the occupier.
    45002 Posts: 802 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    kinger101 wrote:
    The letter was not addressed to the previous tenants. It was addressed to the occupier.

Which is why I said
    45002 wrote: »
    Advice given on Assured and Regulated Tenancy, Further advice should always be sought from a Solicitor....
  • Newlyboughthouse
    Options
    I had this when I moved into my property. The mistake I made was not telling the previous supplier of gas and electric my new meter readings (I guess I was naive enough to think people weren't so unbelievably disorganised to not give final meter readings...)

I thought for a long time that it should be enough to just tell my new supplier so the old supplier kept hassling me. Took forever to sort. Just tell Southern Electric your meter readings when you moved in. You will have a 'deemed contract' with them until you inform them.
  • mcarlin
    Options
    Loopy28 wrote: »
    Either way, you are not liable and the bill needs to be forwarded to the letting agent or landlord with a cover letter to state it was for the period before you moved in. If you have changed to Spark, has the supplier changed hands yet from Southern Electric? This does not normally happen from the day you move in so you might have to pay Southern Electric from the day you moved in until the date of the supplier transfer.

We received our first bill from Spark on 30th November for the period 06/11/2014-30/11/2014, so I presume Spark took over as main energy supplier on the very day our tenancy started. I guess this is evidence enough that SSE have nothing to do with us?

Unfortunately, as I said in the OP, I binned the first two letters (unopened), but I did open and keep the next two. Given the period that Spark started charging us from, would it be enough to just pass on the SSE letters to the landlord to deal with?

Thanks for all your replies - very insightful!
  • kinger101
    Options
    mcarlin wrote: »
    We received our first bill from Spark on 30th November for the period 06/11/2014-30/11/2014, so I presume Spark took over as main energy supplier on the very day our tenancy started. I guess this is evidence enough that SSE have nothing to do with us?

Unfortunately, as I said in the OP, I binned the first two letters (unopened), but I did open and keep the next two. Given the period that Spark started charging us from, would it be enough to just pass on the SSE letters to the landlord to deal with?

Thanks for all your replies - very insightful!

No, inform SSE it's not your debt. Your responsibility ends there. You LL may not act on the letters, in which case SSE will still send you more letters.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 11 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.1K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family