just want to keep fit

Options
I don't have a weight problem (9st 3lbs, 5'8"), but I know I'm not as fit as I should be.

Are there any websites out there that could give me ideas as to how to improve my fitness? I've looked at my fitness pal, but it's very weight-loss oriented.
No longer a spouse, or trailing, but MSE won't allow me to change my username...

Comments

• hop3y
    hop3y Posts: 517 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Get a bike and download Strava.
  • jjlandlord
    jjlandlord Posts: 5,099 Forumite
    Options
    Eat correctly, don't drink too much, don't smoke.

Try to walk as much as possible, take the stairs (daily).
    Do push ups, abs at home (daily).

Ride a bike, or go jogging, or both (at least weekly).

The key is to keep at it.
  • fairy_lights
    Options
    What sort of activities (if any) do you currently do?
    Because you don't need to lose any weight the world is your fitness oyster really.
    Couch to 5k might be a good place to start as you will easily able to see your fitness levels improve.
  • trailingspouse
    Options
    I'm not currently doing any 'real' fitness activities at all. I was doing Pilates once a week until about 4 months ago, but the instructor irritated me (perfectly sensible while we were a group of women, but when a man joined she got ridiculously silly, and spent all her time making sure he was doing it right and not paying any attention to the rest of us!!). I work from home, so not even the option of cycling to work! I feel stiff when I get out of bed, have a niggly back, I don't feel as energetic as I'd like to. Etc.

However, we live in a 4-storey house, so plenty of running up and down stairs.

I would like to improve my suppleness, my stamina, my strength and my overall fitness. When I was younger I was quite sporty, and loved running - I still enjoy it, but I suspect my knees don't.

What I'm looking for I suppose is an online personal trainer - some sort of training program that will build me up from doing nothing, and keep me on track. Also a variety of ideas so that I can ring the changes depending on the weather, the time available, and to avoid boredom.
    No longer a spouse, or trailing, but MSE won't allow me to change my username...
  • jjlandlord
    jjlandlord Posts: 5,099 Forumite
    Options
    If you work from home, you should allocate time daily to go out for a walk or cycle.
    When you go out to the supermarket or shops you could also walk/cycle there.
  • donglemouse
    Options
    couch25k could be an option - it would give you a goal to aim for and ease you back into running, if you build it up slowly your knees might be fine
  • Angry_Bear
    Angry_Bear Posts: 2,021 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    You could try http://www.mapmyfitness.com
    It also has an app that you can use to track cycling, walking running etc (uses GPS location but doesn't need your data on all the time).

You can create and track your own goals or join "challenges". You can log activities like swimming manually or auto-log things like running.

The basic version is free :money:, although there is an ad-free paid version if you like the free version enough.

If you ever do decide to use myfitnesspal you can link them so the exercise gets copied across automatically (this only seems to work mapmyfitness -> myfitnesspal, not the other way round).
    Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?
    ― Sir Terry Pratchett, 1948-2015
  • whatmichaelsays
    Options
    I'm not currently doing any 'real' fitness activities at all. I was doing Pilates once a week until about 4 months ago, but the instructor irritated me (perfectly sensible while we were a group of women, but when a man joined she got ridiculously silly, and spent all her time making sure he was doing it right and not paying any attention to the rest of us!!). I work from home, so not even the option of cycling to work! I feel stiff when I get out of bed, have a niggly back, I don't feel as energetic as I'd like to. Etc.

However, we live in a 4-storey house, so plenty of running up and down stairs.

I would like to improve my suppleness, my stamina, my strength and my overall fitness. When I was younger I was quite sporty, and loved running - I still enjoy it, but I suspect my knees don't.

What I'm looking for I suppose is an online personal trainer - some sort of training program that will build me up from doing nothing, and keep me on track. Also a variety of ideas so that I can ring the changes depending on the weather, the time available, and to avoid boredom.

Adidas MiCoach might be what you're looking for.

You set a particular goal (ie, I want to run 10k in under 50 mins in x weeks time) and it creates a workout plan for you to follow.

It's free on a smartphone and, although the equipment to compliment it is expensive (heart rate monitors and such like), you don't need it for a lot of activities.
    Hi, we’ve had to remove your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
  • Bravo_Zulu
    Options
    Runner's World website do some excellent running training programmes for free
    Debt Free 03 Dec 2014/£25k repaid
    Mortgage: Dec 2014: £98,392.77. Jan 2018: £78,000. Nov 2018: £74,736. July 2019: 70,000

*Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans*
  • trailingspouse
    Options
    Many thanks. Will have a look at the websites suggested.

I've found a Pilates class locally with a different instructor, so that'll get me back doing something every week (I find if I don't do Pilates or similar my back suffers). I've also started doing a few bends and stretches (basically Pilates again) every morning to get my body moving first thing.

Will add to that as the evenings lengthen - we're not far from the canal and I enjoy walking there but not so easy when it's dark. I'd got into the routine of taking a 1/2 hour walk 2-3 times a week during the summer, but haven't done it for ages.

I basically have to just get my finger out and go and do something, and I suspect it really doesn't matter too much what it is!!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure