Switch to Santander 123 from my HSBC cuurent account.

edited 30 November -1 at 1:00AM in Budgeting & Bank Accounts
24 replies 3.1K views

Replies

• SystemSystem Forumite
    177.9K Posts
    10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    The old bank forwards credits sent to your old account on for 13 months.
    pollypenny wrote: »
    Quick question: how reliable is the switching service for credits such as salary and/or pensions?

We have a 123 account for the DDs and the interest, serviced from our HSBC account at the moment. However, we intend to switch from the latter to Nationwide Flex + soon.
  • f0xh0lesf0xh0les Forumite
    4.8K Posts
    Seventh Anniversary 1,000 Posts Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    I switched from HSBC graduate account about 8 years ago, I still have their credit card (as they were the only people silly enough to want to offer me one). So you can have the card without having any other account with them.
    MFW#65 Aug 21 = £81,500.00 next target = £80k in December 2021 Daily interest £4.02 next target = sub £4
    E/F £19,000 but I still need a new roof and an extension and the loft boarding out.
    NSTurtle # 2 🐢 🐢 No Turtle gets left behind.
  • milliemillie Forumite
    1.1K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts
    ✭✭✭
    I switched via Top cash back at the beginning of December it all went very smoothly and took 9 days all the cards, online access documents and pin numbers were received before the transfer day. My husbands works pension was credited on day one and all other credits and direct debits have gone out OK. I have transferred money to another account and that too was instant. No problems so far and not expecting any,
  • buglawtonbuglawton Forumite
    9.2K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭
    Using the Santander credit card is a strong part of the deal, with 3% off supermarket shopping, rail fares and petrol. Not so good for those who prefer to be cautious about CC spending though.
  • anoncolanoncol Forumite
    982 Posts
    buglawton wrote: »
    Using the Santander credit card is a strong part of the deal, with 3% off supermarket shopping, rail fares and petrol. Not so good for those who prefer to be cautious about CC spending though.

This was our first cc. It does change the way you think about budgeting and cash flow. You must make sure you auto pay it all off. It really cleared the current account to just have bills in. Much easier to follow.
  • colstencolsten Forumite
    17.6K Posts
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Using the Santander credit card is a strong part of the deal, with 3% off supermarket shopping, rail fares and petrol.

123 doesn't pay 3% cashback on supermarkets.
    You can earn:
    1% cashback at all major supermarkets
    2% cashback at all major department stores
    3% cashback at all major petrol stations, and on National Rail and Transport for London travel (on combined spend of up to £300 a month)
    Not so good for those who prefer to be cautious about CC spending though.
    why not?
  • colstencolsten Forumite
    17.6K Posts
    10,000 Posts Seventh Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    anoncol wrote: »
    You must make sure you auto pay it all off.

I suppose this is something desirable for any CC, nothing specific to the 123 CC?
  • edited 31 December 2014 at 7:54PM
    ramenkidramenkid Forumite
    127 Posts
    edited 31 December 2014 at 7:54PM
    I have just applied for the Santander 123 current account online. After one minute getting the confirmation email (3 working days to let me know whether the application is succefsful), I got another email to tell me that the application has been DECLINED!!! How can they said it's been considered 'carefully' after only one minute?
    Having carefully considered your application we regret that we are unable to offer you an account at the present time and your application has been declined.
    I can't think of the reasons why they would reject my application as I have a stable job/income and current account is always in credit. Credit cards are paid in full each month. The only possible reason for rejection is my address - I live in a block of flats but the automated address finder doesn't use have my address in full. ie. My address is 'Flat X, 8 XXXXX' Road but address finder usually shows '8 XXXXX Road' only, no flat number whilst there are 10 flats at this address. I manually input my full address with my flat number which may not match the bank's or Experian's record? I remember I had same problem in the past with the address issue.

If I apply online again with the automated address rather than entering it manually, will it appear twice on my credit report and ruin it?

Would it be better to call Santander and point it out and see whether they can re-consider my application? Would they be able to correct it on the phone and amend my application? I am indeed very surprised I got turned down!!:(

Thanks again peeps and Happy New Year to you all!
  • anoncolanoncol Forumite
    982 Posts
    colsten wrote: »
    I suppose this is something desirable for any CC, nothing specific to the 123 CC?

Yes, indeed.
  • YorkshireBoyYorkshireBoy Forumite
    31.5K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ramenkid wrote: »
    How can they said it's been considered 'carefully' after only one minute?
    They're probably using computers or summat! ;)
    Would it be more sensible just to call Santander and point it out and see whether they can re-consider my application?
    Writing may be better? Don't forget they use address details obtained from several areas...your own application data, from the CRAs, and also from the FPAs. What I'd suggest you consider doing is to change all your personal details with your banks to the EXACT address format that the council's ER department submit to the CRAs.
This discussion has been closed.
LATEST NEWS AND GUIDES

Balance transfer credit cards

Shift existing card debt to 0% interest for up to 31 months

MSE Guides