PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Make do, Mend and Minimise in 2015

Options

Comments

• janb5
    janb5 Posts: 2,624 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    edited 12 April 2015 at 10:20PM
    Options
    Hi All,

Here to confess a very senior moment.

I made the lovely Vhalla`s/Viv Ginger Cheesecake and mistakenly put in crystallized ginger instead of stem ginger. Oh dear! Nothing I can do at this time as shops are shut and those that might have been open wouldn't sell stem ginger. So I have tried to mask the taste with some honey !

We shall see!

I kept thinking something was wrong but couldn't figure what it was!

This is to be included for the 4 cakes I make for my son`s work every week (paid) !
  • sammy_kaye18
    sammy_kaye18 Posts: 3,674 Forumite
    Homepage Hero Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    I used to read your blog too Sammy. I thought how lovely it was that you had a garden after living in the flat without. :)

Just a thought Sammy. Don't want to entice you into spending if you're trying your best not to but Parks Promotions website are having their last fling sale of seeds and they start at 5p a pack. Lots and lots of veg, flowers and herbs within the 25p-49p bracket. Might be handy if you know another gardener who would share. ;)
    . :j

Basil, chives, mint, cress and swede all ordered now for the pricely sim of £2.39 :-) think thats my garden finished now really - thank you cheerfulness

I have just sorted my front garden out so now am going to sort the back garden when the nice weather kicks in. So expect lots of gardening blog updates

MsSnowy - where in Wales?? Im port talbot :-)
    Making Changes To Save My Life
    Current weightloss - 2lbs (week 1)
  • cheerfulness4
    cheerfulness4 Posts: 2,874 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Aren't there a lot of you in Wales? I didn't realise before. :)

Well, I think buying those seeds was a wise investment girls. I've been very pleased with the germination of those I've bought, and I bought quite a few. Went back recently for a second batch as most were edibles first time round. I just had to grab some of those sweet pea bargains a few weeks back along with quite a few other bits. :o

Must catch up with my spends yesterday, lots of YS bready bargains. For now I'm off downstairs to give the kitchen a good clean, Gtech the lounge and then have a leisurely breakfast with DH when he gets in from work at 8am.

My M, M & M jobs today are:

Make the drawer dividers for my wardrobe drawers
    (Still have my banana box ready for this job. :D )

Recycle the pile of clothes fettled out over the last week.
    (the space I've created :eek: )

Get DH to dig over Raised Bed 1, all 3'x6' of it. :D
    (our miniature allotment :rotfl: )

Right, once all the anti-aging creams have gone on (:cool:) I'll be ready to face the day. ;)
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 17,413 Forumite
    First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Good morning fellow MD,M,&M's :) Had a rotten night as I have started to cultivate a bit of a cold , too much casting of clouts before the may is out :):):) as my old Ma-in-law used to say :)

I spent a pleasant hour yesterday removing the clapped out lace trim round the neck of a nightie of mine It used to irritate the bejesus out of me every time I wore it. I liked the nightie, but the lace was very scratchy. I have a feeling that I have some cotton broiderie anglaise trim in my sewing box that I shall dig out at some point this week and hand sew round the neck of my denuded nightie :) so thats my mend for this week sorted :)

I have bought all of my top-up April shopping ,(hopefully) yesterday using up my W8rose £6.00 voucher. so its definitely make do for the rest of this month :)

Just have to minimise my 'clutter drawers' in the kitchen
    Hope you all have a great week i shall be in and out all this week as the DGS are still on holiday from school so I am a whirling dervish this week :):):)
    Onwards and upwards chums
    JackieO xxx
    P.S can't find the celery soup recipe Cheerfullness any chance you could repost as I have a good sized celery languishing in the fridge doing nothing at the moment :)
  • good_advice
    good_advice Posts: 2,653 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post Mortgage-free Glee! Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Morning
    Just finnished the last of my stock of Umbongo juice. I had several cartons @ 14p each with the use of vouchers.

watching the BBC breakfast news.

Looking forward to the plenty of sunshine and warmer weather for the next couple of days. So happy the cold of winter has passed.
    The secret to success is making very small, yet constant changes.:)
  • silvasava
    silvasava Posts: 4,433 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Morning All
    Having a little lie in with DH, a cuppa and the cat as we've both been up at the crack of sparrows for the last 3 days. My job list hasn't moved & I'll be adding to it today, Wednesday looks to be a scorcher so I'm going to take my duvet to the launderette for its annual wash! I'll also finish power washing the patio by the house. Better get my bum out of bed & get a move on!
    GQ & Samantha - I'm another one who say's Hooley - I also use my mum's expression 'mizzleing' heavier than a mist and lighter than a drizzle lol
    Small victories - sometimes they are all you can hope for but sometimes they are all you need - be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle
  • vhalla1478
    vhalla1478 Posts: 490 Forumite
    Options
    Morning All,

Just a quickie as I'm looking after the grandchildren (only 6 of them!!) this morning.

I had to smile about your ginger glitch, Jan - you never know, you might have created a masterpiece.

Just in case Cheerfulness doesn't get back onto here until later, here is the celery soup recipe again, Jackie - we can't have your celery wilting. Although I have used celery when it has been decidedly limp in this recipe and it has turned out fine.

Celery Soup 4-6 servings

Knob of butter, small head of celery, trimmed and roughly chopped, large potato peeled and chopped, litre stock or 500ml stock, 500ml milk, salt and pepper, grated nutmeg.

Melt the butter in a large saucepan and gently stew the vegetables in it until well coated. Add the stock, bring to the boil, cover the pan and cook steadily for 45 minutes or until the celery is soft. Sieve or whizz, add the milk now if you are using milk, stir well and heat through. Taste and add salt and pepper and a little freshly grated nutmeg. croutons go well with this.

Must fly need to wash my hair before I face the tribe. Have a good day, Everyone.

Viv xx
  • cheerfulness4
    Options
    Thanks Viv. Just to remind, page 1 has most of the recipes listed with links to click on, soups included. ;)
  • camelot1001
    camelot1001 Posts: 6,025 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Ooh, you are all busy, I made risotto last night with some sad looking veg which was very tasty.
    Put my newly painted wicker chair up in my room, I think it may be a bit big but I'll see. Cheerfulness, I think it was you that asked, yes I do quite a lot of furniture 'upcycling', the last was a little table that I think was one of a nest I saw at the tip. The chaps very kindly let me have it, I painted the legs white, sanded the top and varnished it and it looks great as a bedside table.

There are a few bits here that I have done, the most I have paid is £10 for a chest of drawers but the best is DDs dressing table that was free (the only problem was that the knobs cost £8 each!).

Off to make lunch.
  • cheerfulness4
    Options
    Camelot- thats the beauty of freebies, you can afford to be indulgent with the accessories. ;)
    I've been wittering about beginning my revamping of our pieces but the weather is getting right for opening the windows and getting down to it. I've not much idea of what I'm doing though so quite nervous.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure