PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Make do, Mend and Minimise in 2015

Options

Comments

• Effyb4
    Effyb4 Posts: 258 Forumite
    Options
    I have been a very busy bunny in the garden today. First I moved the raised bed we use as a vegetable patch, because next door have put up a huge monstrosity at the end of the garden and where it used to be is in complete shade now.

I have also planted garlic and peppers. I know it is a bit late, but I have also planted some raspberry canes. There is still lots to do though.
    £1000 Emergency Fund #175 - £598/£1000
    PAYDBX 16 #134 - £2139.00/£6961.85
    Roadkill Rebel #22 85p
  • HOWMUCH
    HOWMUCH Posts: 1,296 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Hello everyone, it's been a lovely sunny yet breezy day here so lots of washing done and dried. Went out in the garden, enjoyed the YS goat cheese tarts which only worked out about 50p for 2, tonight we will be having left over M'sons fresh made pizza I get the 10inch thin base you get 2 for £4 but we only use Half 2 slices each so it does us 2 meals last night we had salad and garlic bread with it, tonight it will be the rest of the garlic bread and jacket potatoes. Also had an hour knitting the aran sweater for DGS and I've cut out a pair on dungarees from an old stripey shirt( from great grandad) for DGS . A friend has given me an old plastic plant trough so I'm going to sow some lettuce seeds and putting on the windowsill of my daughters conservatory. Enjoy the rest of the weekend peeps.
    Why pay full price when you may get it YS ;)
  • vhalla1478
    vhalla1478 Posts: 490 Forumite
    Options
    Good Evening, Folks, it sounds as if some of us have had another productive day. My washing dried in no time at all, although I did have to keep a beady eye on the bedding as it twisted around the line; all ironed and in the airing cupboard now.

I'm happy to say that my summer clothes haven't shrunk in the wardrobe :beer:, so apart from a couple of tops and a new pair of jeans, I shan't have too much expense there.

I used up some remaining mushrooms in a risotto today - filling and cheap!

This recipe is lovely as a first course as the weather improves, is quick and easy to do and is lowish in calories - perfect!

Cheshire Cheese Salad with Rocket and Strawberries - serves 4

50 grams rocket, 230 grams strawberries, 40 grams hazelnuts, toasted and chopped.

For the Dressing

2 tbsp. sunflower oil, 2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil, half a teaspoon of sugar, salt and freshly ground pepper.

Divide the rocket leaves between 4 plates, hull and slice the strawberries and scatter on top of the rocket. Break the cheese into small pieces and divide between the portions. Whisk together the dressing ingredients, drizzle over the salad and scatter the chopped nuts on top.

I've never known this recipe not to go down well.

Have a pleasant evening, Everyone.

Viv xx
  • Hard_Up_Hester
    Hard_Up_Hester Posts: 4,656 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Woohoo, I made £50 on ebay, selling stuff I found whilst decluttering my sewing room.
    Chin up, Titus out.
  • ginnyknit
    ginnyknit Posts: 3,718 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Well done Hester, its good to have money thats not already spoken for isnt it. I have done well on fleabay over the last year. I have things I have stashed away and will never use so pop them on even if its only 99p it all helps.

Decided to get my a** into gear and actually make the pillowcases I need and as Hubby spends so much time in bed I will make him some quilt covers too as his are more shabby than chic. Im past the days when it was nice for things to match now its about having to change his covers every few days as his meds make him sweat. The french make quilt covers with a flap at the bottom which tucks under the end of the mattress so I might just do that.

I bought a silky table runner in a Cs the other day for £1 and am going to turn it into a handbag. I have one good leather bag (Cs of course) and an everyday bag both of which are worn after 8 years of use so really need something new.
    Clearing the junk to travel light
    Saving every single penny.
    I will get my caravan
  • cheerfulness4
    cheerfulness4 Posts: 2,874 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    You've reminded me about my peppers, effy. Must get those sown. :)

Dashing around picking up Grandkiddies this morning and delivering them back to their mum. Trying to squeeze some more time just for us but life is speeding up as the weather gets better. So much to do.
    if this garden is to be as productive and beautiful as we want we've got to work super hard over the next few weeks.

All this tidying and reorganising I've been doing has turned up another batch of seeds I stored away so I've now found my Crimson flowered broad beans. :D

SuperSpaghetti for dinner today with rocket salad. (Its a frugal recipe of bacon, garlic, onions, tomato and cheese pasta sauce if you've not come across it on the net). Tea will be finishing off the last YS torilla wraps I pulled from the freezer earlier in the week with tuna mayo salad filling.

Will catch up pisting my spends later when I get home after all the running round.
  • jinny
    jinny Posts: 1,889 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi cheerfulness
    Ive done a super spaggetti sauce for years using tin tomato, bacon and onion. I'm interested in the creamy cheese sauce version. Do you bake it like lasagne? Could you post the recipe please.
    Thanks in advance.
    ”Pour yourself a drink, (tea for me now)
    Put on some lipstick
    and pull yourself together”
    - Elizabeth Taylor
  • 7roland8
    7roland8 Posts: 3,601 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Rose Wood - great idea to update your dressing gown's cuffs. Mine always get like that but I never thought to do that - thanks.
    Great opportunities to help others seldom come, but small ones surround us every day. -- Sally Koch
  • kittym
    kittym Posts: 47 Forumite
    Options
    Cheerfulness your last sentence on post made me chuckle no end.( Must be my warped sense of humour)

I have been unpicking a crochet blanket for the last hour to use the wool for an autumn wreath that I am making. Pies are cooking in the oven.
    Still no gardening as the wind is still blowing wildly. I don't know where the warm sunshine went to but it didn't come by me.
    Can't wait to watch Poldark tonight it looks great! Added bonus that he's
    a bit of a dish....

Anyway have a super day what ever you are doing. x
  • vhalla1478
    vhalla1478 Posts: 490 Forumite
    Options
    Good Morning, Folks,

Kittym - I'm pleased that someone else can't do any gardening because of the wind; I've been feeling guilty that so many seem to be out there gardening away. And thank you for the reminder about Poldark - I'm looking forward to that.

I do hope you have the time to post your spaghetti recipe, Cheerfulness, I always am interested in new methods for basic ingredients.

Here's a twist on rice pudding; nice enough to give to guests.

Rice Meringue - serves 4

3 ounces pudding rice, pint of milk, 3 tbsp sugar, ounce butter, 3 egg yolks, 3 egg whites, half tsp vanilla essence or a vanilla pod, 3-4 tbsp. caster sugar for the meringue.

Cook the rice with the milk and vanilla pod/essence in the top of a double boiler until the rice has absorbed the milk and is quite tender. Let it cool a little. Remove the vanilla pod if you are using one. Stir in butter, sugar and well-beaten egg yolks. Turn the mixture into a buttered oven dish.

Make the meringue topping by beating up the egg whites until firm, adding the caster sugar by degrees until the mixture is stiff and shiny. Spread it over the rice lightly but evenly, put the dish in a moderate oven, 180 degrees/gas 4 for half an hour. If the meringue seems to be browning too much, reduce heat a little and give the pudding some extra time at a lower heat.

Have a good day, All.

Viv xx
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family