Buyer asking for refund but returned item lost in post

Options
Buyer wants a refund for an item she claims was sent back to me but I never received it and she never contacted me to say that she was sending it back - this is Amazon not Ebay.
She posted it 2nd class.
What do I do? who makes a claim assuming she has a POP?

Comments

• Marktheshark
    Options
    Beware of any unsolicited to be signed for packages or letters.
    Once they work out they need a tracking number, advise on the (get stuff for nothing forum) _(text changed) is to send another package to obtain a tracking number.
    I do Contracts, all day every day.
  • RHemmings
    RHemmings Posts: 3,467 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Beware of any unsolicited to be signed for packages or letters.
    Once they work out they need a tracking number, advise on the (get stuff for nothing forum) _(text changed) is to send another package to obtain a tracking number.

Isn't there a risk that providing that they have the tracking number, that they'll most likely win any dispute through ebay? Whether or not the seller collects and signs for the 'replacement' package or not?
  • Avoriaz
    Avoriaz Posts: 39,110 Forumite
    Options
    RHemmings wrote: »
    Isn't there a risk that providing that they have the tracking number, that they'll most likely win any dispute through ebay? Whether or not the seller collects and signs for the 'replacement' package or not?
    They won't win a dispute through eBay no matter what they do.

This relates to an Amazon transaction. :D
  • F&L
    F&L Posts: 570 Forumite
    Options
    If they open an A-Z claim there is an option under it that item has been returned but seller has not refunded. In several years I've had two of these opened and both times Amazon funded the refund. These were both cases where the buyer declined to send me proof that the item had been returned.

I personally ask the buyer to send me proof of postage for the returned item and would refund if they sent it. Not once has a buyer ever sent me any proof and apart from two A-Z claims I've never heard from other buyers again.

As always on Amazon your metrics need to be ok to risk an A-Z claim.
  • celestius
    celestius Posts: 1,090 Forumite
    PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    I have asked her when it was posted and whether she kept the POP and waiting to hear back.

My metrics are just over 96%
  • RHemmings
    RHemmings Posts: 3,467 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Avoriaz wrote: »
    They won't win a dispute through eBay no matter what they do.

This relates to an Amazon transaction. :D

What are the rules for Amazon then?
  • celestius
    PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    F&L wrote: »
    If they open an A-Z claim there is an option under it that item has been returned but seller has not refunded. In several years I've had two of these opened and both times Amazon funded the refund. These were both cases where the buyer declined to send me proof that the item had been returned.

I personally ask the buyer to send me proof of postage for the returned item and would refund if they sent it. Not once has a buyer ever sent me any proof and apart from two A-Z claims I've never heard from other buyers again.

As always on Amazon your metrics need to be ok to risk an A-Z claim.

The buyer has not answered my question regarding POP so I assume she has none - I would refund her but at the very least a receipt from the Post Office would be good.
    So she has opened an A-Z claim instead.
    Is it just a waiting game now to see what Amazon decides?
  • F&L
    Options
    I would just respond to the A-Z claim stating that you have not received the return and buyer has not provided you with the proof of posting that you asked for. They will probably close the claim within a day and refund the buyer at their expense through a no fault refund.
  • celestius
    PPI Party Pooper
    edited 1 January 2015 at 5:54PM
    Options
    F&L wrote: »
    I would just respond to the A-Z claim stating that you have not received the return and buyer has not provided you with the proof of posting that you asked for. They will probably close the claim within a day and refund the buyer at their expense through a no fault refund.

You were right, Amazon refunded the buyer and sent me this message:
    Your account will not be debited for the refund amount because you are not at fault for this claim.

However I am not happy because the buyer has now left me a negative, saying I sent the wrong item out and kept the return and her money.
    In fact the buyer ordered 2 different sizes and apparently decided to send one back - the one which did not arrive. Not only that but she has now asked to return the other one out of spite.
    What are my options? Any chance of getting the feedback removed?
    I have accepted her return request however if it has been used or damaged what can I do?!
  • F&L
    Options
    I wouldn’t worry about the negative feedback as a buyer opening a claim and/or leaving neg fb only counts once on your metrics. Amazon so rarely remove neg fb that it’s best to either leave it alone or add a follow-up comment that the return wasn’t received and the buyer was unable to provide proof that it had been posted.

Items have to returned in the condition they were received. I rarely get used items returned but when I have I’ve made a partial refund based on what the resale value is as not new. Only once has a buyer complained when I’ve done so and opened an A-Z claim which again Amazon funded. This type of buyer will be keen to get their refund quickly so I would process it on the day you receive it back. She'd had one easy refund and will expect the other to go smoothly too!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure