🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

JSA and Sanctions

Options
I need help with the following questions:

don’t accept or keep to your Claimant Commitment
don’t go to a Jobcentre Plus when asked
turn down a job or training course
don’t apply for any jobs you’re told about
don’t take part in any interviews you’re invited to
don’t go to any training booked for you or take part in employment schemes
leave your last job or training without good reason or because of your behaviour

• While on JSA I would look for work, if I am inviting for an interview in the period I am on training booked or employment schemes, can I attend the interview without being sanctioned? Would I need to inform JSA I am attending interview on ……..

• GP may not give me continued fit notes or I might fail WCA, resulting in me claiming couple JSA (as partner looks after our two kids 9 and 4). Can I mention the health problems when claiming JSA (have letters from consultants) would I be sanctioned for being honest to future employers?

I know employers don’t ask questions but I know it’s best to be honest to future employers but I fear JSA may get sanctioned.

Basically, what happens to people who don’t score 15 points in ESA and have to claim JSA because of health problems? In this case you have to be honest to the future employers.

I have a disability which can be seen, I know employers shouldn’t discriminate me (equality act) but I know it might be a factor in employment.

• Partner looks after young children, school runs etc, and would she be expected to work up to 40 hours?

Thank you

Comments

• nannytone_2
    nannytone_2 Posts: 12,952 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    you have already been given all this information.
    have you considered your partner working whilst you take care of the children. after all, they are in school for the better part of the day
  • tazwhoever
    tazwhoever Posts: 1,326 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    thank you nannytone, my question is can i be honest when i claim jsa with the health problems?

there is no law to say, i mustn't tell my future employer! would jsa be sanctioned?

the reason i am asking, i normally go sick more than two periods in a year (but medicals fail people who are so disabled).

as for partner working, it will be far better if i go and work (thanks for your suggestion)
  • nannytone_2
    Options
    if you want to restrict the hours you work or the type of job you do, then you really need to tell them.
    if you dont and you refuse a job/interview/course then they will sanction you.
    you are now asked to sign a claimant commitment and agree to 35 hours of job seeking activity every week.
    i thought you had a live claim for ESA ... why are you getting so caught up with JSA right now?
  • tazwhoever
    tazwhoever Posts: 1,326 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I fear GP might not give me continued fit note and stories I have heard about Atos medicals failing claimants.

Thanks again
  • mro
    mro Posts: 813 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    nannytone wrote: »
    if you want to restrict the hours you work or the type of job you do, then you really need to tell them.
    if you dont and you refuse a job/interview/course then they will sanction you.
    you are now asked to sign a claimant commitment and agree to 35 hours of job seeking activity every week.
    i thought you had a live claim for ESA ... why are you getting so caught up with JSA right now?
    They are not asked to do 35 hours of job seeking activity every week.
  • nannytone_2
    Options
    a friend of mine was made redundant in november ( he started a job last week!) had to show 35 hours of job seeking activity ( not applying for jobs for 35 hours, but time spent preparing and researchiong alternative routes back into work)
    my daughter is a job centre manager and her customers are also expected to make job seeking full time in the same manner
  • mro
    mro Posts: 813 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    nannytone wrote: »
    a friend of mine was made redundant in november ( he started a job last week!) had to show 35 hours of job seeking activity ( not applying for jobs for 35 hours, but time spent preparing and researchiong alternative routes back into work)
    my daughter is a job centre manager and her customers are also expected to make job seeking full time in the same manner
    I've got no idea how that could or would apply to many unemployed or how it could be reasonably written into an agreement in their circumstances.

I don't know what they are being told, but I don't believe it is written in an agreement.
  • nannytone_2
    Options
    it is called the 'claimant commitment' and it replaces the job seekers agreement.
    new claims have been using it for several months and existing claimants are being moved ober to it
  • Another_not_new_user
    Options
    You asked a similar question in 2012, in exactly the same circumstances. Both seem focussed on telling employers you are unfit to work for them. Why would you want to do that? If your GP decides not to issue a further fit note and says you are fit for work, you are fit for work. Lots of people with disabilities work. But if you are going into an interview saying you are disabled, unfit for work and expect to be unfit a lot - you aren't even trying to get work, are you? People who have no disabilities can get sick twice a year or more. Surely you would prefer to be in work, and isn't that the employers decision to make, without you going out of your way to make sure they don't employ you?
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport