John259 Posts: 1,085 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    "Such an enormous country, you realize when you cross it" - Jack Kerouac
  • ACG
    ACG Posts: 23,730 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    I wouldnt jump on a 6-9 hour flight with a toddler. I dont like people who do that on planes, where you have a kid screaming non stop. Flights are bad enough, to have a kid whaling in the back ground (or worse, close to you) would cap it off... yes I am one of those people.

Thanks for the replies.

I think timing wise a little over 2 weeks should be fine. See what we want to see, a few days relaxing - job done.

Thanks for all of the input, you have put me on the right path. I now have an idea of when to go and a vague idea of the route which im happy with, not to bother with trains or driving anything more than that triangle and in terms of flights it does not matter about flying into one airport and out of another.

I think everything I wanted to know at this stage has been answered :).

Cheers.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • Murphy_The_Cat
    Murphy_The_Cat Posts: 20,967 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 23 December 2014 at 11:58AM
    Options
    ACG wrote: »
    I wouldnt jump on a 6-9 hour flight with a toddler. I dont like people who do that on planes, where you have a kid screaming non stop. Flights are bad enough, to have a kid whaling in the back ground (or worse, close to you) would cap it off... yes I am one of those people.
    I think everything I wanted to know at this stage has been answered :).
    Cheers.

good luck with the holiday planning and I hope that you have a cracking time.

Maybe review your thoughts of parenting and the requirements/demand of your impending family.
    Babies/Toddlers/small children take there cues on how to act and behave from their parents - there is no more reason for a little'un to be unhappy on a long flight than there would be at home or on a car journey.
    Once you are a dad and you're considering taking a family holiday, one valuable piece of advice is to always buy a seat for ACGjnr and have them travel in their car seat, with their cuddlies - it'll cost you a few quid, but it makes all the difference in the world. You'll be able to enjoy family holidays and keep your sanity.

our longest trip to date was 24 hours from leaving home (little village, 2 streetlights) to checking into the madness of Las Vegas late at night. The Kittens were 15 months and 4 years old at the time. We then had a cracking time exploring Nevada, Arizona and California, before having a 16 hour journey home.
    Man-Frankfurt-LA-Salt Lake City was a similar length of time - the next day we went tubing down the Provo river. Wonderful, happy memories.
  • zagfles
    zagfles Posts: 20,323 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    Options
    ACG wrote: »
    Are you sure you really want a child?? Seriously, you don't sound ready!

We took ours on loads of flights when young and believe me, they never spent any time crying at all. In fact I've never experienced any flight with kids screaming "non stop". Or even enough to annoy.

Having said that, and way OT and unsolicited I know - but if there's stuff you want to do/places you want to see before having kids then do not have a kid till you've done them. I was much the same, we had 6 years together before having kids because I wanted to travel. Having kids is life changing and must be what you both want. If it isn't it'll cause resentment, won't be a good environment for the kid, and could easily split you up. I've known people this has happened to.

But having said all that, having kids never stopped us travelling anyway! Though it was obviously a lot more expensive and a bit more restricted. Mind you it doesn't restrict some people at all, read Mr Wangs blog! http://www.thesummerholidayofalifetime.com
  • ACG
    ACG Posts: 23,730 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    Thats a whole different post in itself. We will be fine, I dont get pushed into things I dont want to do (except xmas dinner with the in-laws....).
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    Miami it's a dump.

Stick to the west coast

Save florida for when the kids go to disney
  • duchy
    duchy Posts: 19,511 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Xmas Saver!
    Options
    I absolutely adored Utah, it was a cracking place and one that I;ll definitelt return to in the future.
    The home of Polygamy Porter

Oh I've loved both my visits to Utah -I think it's a beautiful state.
    I Would Rather Climb A Mountain Than Crawl Into A Hole

MSE Florida wedding .....no problem
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family