Best way to travel to USA

Options

Comments

• PeacefulWaters
    Options
    Here's a link to the South West USA thread.

Well worth a read.

You can fly to LA, San Francisco, San Diego, Las Vegas or Phoenix and start a driving loop from there. Best trip I've ever done!
  • ACG
    ACG Posts: 23,730 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    Thanks for all of the posts.

Its handy to know the cheaper times of the year also - appreciate that blindman thanks. At least that narrows down one thing.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • dearlouise
    Options
    You're jumping across a large country too much there. Stick to one coast at a time. 2-3 weeks wouldn't be enough.
    I did the east coast in 4 weeks, driving mostly, saw 13 states, it was exhausting...
  • richardw
    richardw Posts: 19,458 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    If you want to avoid Heathrow, there are some summer peak services from MAN to the US which start in June.
    Posts are not advice and must not be relied upon.
  • duchy
    duchy Posts: 19,511 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Xmas Saver!
    Options
    California has some very good beaches......going to Miami just to chill on a beach would be a lot of travelling for just another beach.

I'd suggest that one visit to the U.S. won't be enough and you'll be back anyway so rather than cramming too much in and missing out as your time in each place is too short cut back a bit .
    I Would Rather Climb A Mountain Than Crawl Into A Hole

MSE Florida wedding .....no problem
  • EssexExile
    EssexExile Posts: 6,141 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Virgin from Manchester are great but limited where they go. Like many have said, limit yourself, it's a big country, you'll go again. As for advice where to go, that's really personal. I've been to many of the cities you mention, the only reason I go to them is because they have airports! As soon as I'm there it's off to wide open spaces. But reading your post I think you're different.

Anecdote warning: We were in wildest Utah a while ago just going where the will took us (& the Alamo rental car). We were in a Dairy Queen (small town, one real restaurant, long queue) & got talking to an English couple on their honeymoon. His father had booked everything so they were driving hundreds of miles a day & seeing nothing. Be flexible, there's rarely any need to book accommodation but if you feel the need you can always book the next night on-line.

September is great but don't go to Colorado or Utah in May & June 'cos I don't want to meet any other Brits & I booked first.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
  • duchy
    duchy Posts: 19,511 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Xmas Saver!
    Options
    Ha ha first time I've ever heard Utah described as wild

It's the only place MaccyD,s had to brew me a pot of coffee as they don't have much demand for it (Provo) and let's not even mention trying to buy beer in this university town lol
    I Would Rather Climb A Mountain Than Crawl Into A Hole

MSE Florida wedding .....no problem
  • ACG
    ACG Posts: 23,730 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    The problem is im 30, the gf is moaning about wanting a kid next year so the chances of being able to do anything like this anytime in the next decade is pretty slim - so I want to cram as much in as I can but at the same time I dont want to miss everything.

Appreciate what everyone is saying about flying back and forth being impractical but im not going to get the opportunity to do it again any time soon so if its well planned we might get most of it in. Im happy to knock New york off the list but I do want to go to Miami. Where theres a will and all that.
    I am a Mortgage Adviser
    You should note that this site doesn't check my status as a mortgage adviser, so you need to take my word for it. This signature is here as I follow MSE's Mortgage Adviser Code of Conduct. Any posts on here are for information and discussion purposes only and shouldn't be seen as financial advice.
  • John259
    John259 Posts: 1,085 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    EssexExile wrote: »
    Virgin from Manchester are great but limited where they go.
    I think KLM do feeder flights from Manchester to Amsterdam (Schiphol). I've used that system many times from Norwich Airport and it's so much better than having to travel down to Heathrow or Gatwick.
    As soon as I'm there it's off to wide open spaces.
    Me too!
    We were in a Dairy Queen...
    I could probably commit a serious sin right now for a DQ bacon double cheeseburger, fries and a large dipped cone.

While I definitely agree with the advice to limit the trip to one area, in many parts of the USA the drive between places can be as enjoyable and sometimes as scenic as the places themselves. A few examples include the Pacific Coast Highway of course, plus the Beartooth Highway northeast of Yellowstone and the Blue Ridge Parkway in the east. There are even some very scenic Interstates such as I-70 through the Front Range of the Rockies west of Denver, I-15 throughout most of its length, and I-84 alongside the Columbia River in Oregon.
    "Such an enormous country, you realize when you cross it" - Jack Kerouac
  • PeacefulWaters
    Options
    John259 wrote: »
    I think KLM do feeder flights from Manchester to Amsterdam (Schiphol). I've used that system many times from Norwich Airport and it's so much better than having to travel down to Heathrow or Gatwick.

Me too!

I could probably commit a serious sin right now for a DQ bacon double cheeseburger, fries and a large dipped cone.

While I definitely agree with the advice to limit the trip to one area, in many parts of the USA the drive between places can be as enjoyable and sometimes as scenic as the places themselves. A few examples include the Pacific Coast Highway of course, plus the Beartooth Highway northeast of Yellowstone and the Blue Ridge Parkway in the east. There are even some very scenic Interstates such as I-70 through the Front Range of the Rockies west of Denver, I-15 throughout most of its length, and I-84 alongside the Columbia River in Oregon.
    You probably just lined up 2016 for me.

Utah in 2015 though.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family