Taking home undrunk wine from a restaurant

Options
If you order a bottle of wine in a restaurant and you do not finish it with your meal, can you take the wine home with you once you have paid the bill?

I have had a look around online and all I can find is answers with regards to the laws in the USA but nothing on the law in UK/England.

Can anyone advise please :beer:

Comments

• Exile_geordie
    Options
    They will only have an 'On' license - which allows them to sell alcohol for consumption in the restaurant and not an 'Off' license to sell alcohol for consumption off their premises and could get in trouble for letting someone do so.

Of course if you stick in your bag who is going to know?

I would also like to add that I read the title as taking undrunk wife home...
    Dont rock the boat
    Dont rock the boat ,baby
  • marlot
    marlot Posts: 4,939 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    A little restaurant near me even ran after me to say I'd forgotten to the half finished bottle. We're now regulars there.
  • frugalmacdugal
    Options
    Hi,

gee whizz, must've been a big bottle, a Nabuchadnezzar?, if unable to finish it.

A standard bottle is just over a pint, two glasses each for a couple having a romantic meal.

bottles-of-wine-in-sizes1.jpg
  • JournalGirl
    Options
    Hi,

gee whizz, must've been a big bottle, a Nabuchadnezzar?, if unable to finish it.

A standard bottle is just over a pint, two glasses each for a couple having a romantic meal.

bottles-of-wine-in-sizes1.jpg

You're assuming it was the first bottle ;-)
  • frugalmacdugal
    frugalmacdugal Posts: 10,077 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 21 December 2014 at 8:56AM
    Options
    Hi,

ah, yes, :o, oops.

gg56676401.jpg
  • mttylad
    mttylad Posts: 1,519 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    If I ever paid for a bottle in a restaurant and did not drink it all I would not concern myself with the restaurants licensing conditions and would be taking my bottle of wine home with me as I have paid for it.
  • hcb42
    hcb42 Posts: 5,962 Forumite
    Options
    I have never encountered this dilemma...
  • notanewuser
    Options
    Hi,

[/IMG]

A standard bottle is a pint and a half (isn) and provides 6 standard glasses.................
    Trying to be a man is a waste of a woman
  • 19lottie82
    19lottie82 Posts: 6,027 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    mttylad wrote: »
    If I ever paid for a bottle in a restaurant and did not drink it all I would not concern myself with the restaurants licensing conditions and would be taking my bottle of wine home with me as I have paid for it.

That's fair and well but bear in mind you would be breaking the law and the restaurant would be within their rights to report you to the police.
  • Kantankrus_Mare
    Options
    In the restaurant I used to work in, I never had a problem with anyone taking home left over wine.

Cant see how not having an "off" license makes any difference as the wine has been paid for and mostly drunk on the premises.

Might be different if a full bottle was being purchased to take away.
    Make £10 a Day Feb .....£75.... March... £65......April...£90.....May £20.....June £35.......July £60
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure