We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Can a supplier leave you without supply for 2 days?

Options

Comments

• lstar337
    lstar337 Posts: 3,442 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    ic wrote: »
    A landlord is not expected to be a qualified electrician.
    No, but they are capable of hiring one. From a safety perspective, I would think it would make sense for landlords to have everything checked and certified each time a new tenant moves in. Gas safety checks are required, and electricity can be equally dangerous.
    ic wrote: »
    At the end of the day, the only people qualified or legally allowed to touch the meter and the connections into it are the electricity suppliers.
    No need to touch it. A qualified electrician can just give it a visual inspection and report any issues.
  • lstar337
    Options
    sacsquacco wrote: »
    Theres no excuse for energy theft
    Istar337
    You should know by my previous post what my thoughts are on energy theft! I have posted many times on the subject. I am dead against it for the cost it adds to my bill and tge safety issues.
    you need to direct your anger , not at Eon, but the owners of the meters and cables , thats the local district network operator in your area.
    I wasn't really angry about it, just trying to help to get it sorted asap as I wanted to make sure he had power for Christmas. I was venting a little at eon and WPD as they seemed to have such a relaxed attitude about it all.

They re the ones who sort these fiddles out. New occupiers would nt know about a prepay fiddle but they would know that their credit is nt going down much at at all, maybe just paying off the weekly standing charges but they certainly would nt have to feed the meter much
    I don't know why he hadnt spotted that. He told me they have been topping up £10 a week, so maybe they just built up a huge credit? The only other thing I can think is that as the flat is E7 that maybe the tamper only supplied one of the fuse boxes, either the off or on peak side.
  • lstar337
    Options
    My brother has phoned to say the power is back on now. The landlord failed to get an electrician so my brother just went ahead and called somebody out of the yellow pages. The guy said the CU's were a mess and re-wired the lot. He certified it and WPD reset the breaker.

Seems to me like my brother was lucky, not only did the place not catch fire, but eon have agreed that the tamper was in place before they moved in and will not incur any charges. Seems to me that more should be in place to make sure rental properties are checked before new tenants move in. I'm sure my brother will be more cautious in the future. Maybe if he moves in the future, he can ask for the meter to be inspected when he gives his opening reading.
  • giraffe69
    giraffe69 Posts: 3,564 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    The landlord failed to get an electrician so my brother just went ahead and called somebody out of the yellow pages.

He shouldn't give up on expecting the landlord to pay for this.
  • lstar337
    Options
    giraffe69 wrote: »
    He shouldn't give up on expecting the landlord to pay for this.
    Luckily the landlord offered to pick up the bill for the electricians work, so there was no need to press him for it.

Makes me greatful for our letting agent, electrical and gas inspections happen yearly.
  • JC_Derby
    Options
    Istar337 you need to direct your anger , not at Eon, but the owners of the meters and cables , thats the local district network operator in your area. They re the ones who sort these fiddles out. New occupiers would nt know about a prepay fiddle but they would know that their credit is nt going down much at at all, maybe just paying off the weekly standing charges but they certainly would nt have to feed the meter much
    Sacsquacco - The DNO are NOT the owners of the meter and if by cables you mean the tailing between the cutout and the meter they are also NOT the owner of that.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 29 December 2014 at 1:46AM
    Options
    JC_Derby wrote: »
    Sacsquacco - The DNO are NOT the owners of the meter and if by cables you mean the tailing between the cutout and the meter they are also NOT the owner of that.
    OK then, who are the "owners " ? the suppliers direct their standing charges as rent to the DNO, that includes the meters and the cables up to the meter .
    I ve just found a bypassed meter, similar to the OPs relative, where the new occupiers (students ) have moved into a property with an incredibly dangerous bypass link in place with bare wires and screws open right next to the credit key on the prepay. Scottish Power, the supplier ,who are as duff as Eon are at sorting RPU issues have nt done anything in 3 months. They did what Eon did, simply phone up us lot probably G4S, and the DNO to pop along with a new meter and screw it in. you have got to remember that Eon, EDF Scot Power and Npower are dreadful foreign owned companies who spend virtually nothing on revenue protection in the name of greater revenue. Its a national disgrace that this state of affairs is allowed to continue by OFGEM. Its happening all over the UK, at least that photo showed did nt have bare live wires and screws on display. If I can figure out how to post a photo I ll send this photo of a proper killer meter to show whats going off. ( better not tho because it will show the idiots how to attempt it )
  • JC_Derby
    Options
    According to the ena document 'guidance on service termination issues'
    DNO equipment is service cable, cut out and DNO Earth terminal
    Supplier equipment is meter tails cut out to time switch and meter to time switch, comms hub, meter and time switch
    Customer equipment is meter tails between meter/ time switch and customer equipment, customer isolating switch, customer fuse box, customer Earth lead, meter board and meterbox.

As an aside my friends in rpu say that bg are also very bad at pursuing cases of bypassing etc.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Newbie
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    edited 29 December 2014 at 7:19PM
    Options
    JC_Derby wrote: »
    According to the ena document 'guidance on service termination issues'
    DNO equipment is service cable, cut out and DNO Earth terminal
    Supplier equipment is meter tails cut out to time switch and meter to time switch, comms hub, meter and time switch
    Customer equipment is meter tails between meter/ time switch and customer equipment, customer isolating switch, customer fuse box, customer Earth lead, meter board and meterbox.

As an aside my friends in rpu say that bg are also very bad at pursuing cases of bypassing etc.
    Your friends are badly mistaken about BG being poor at RPU. Thats rubbish advice from your mate. BG are the only supplier to run a properly run multi million pound turnover business. They have a training centre where thousands of RPU officers learn the ropes. We ve seen them in action lately on the TV a couple of times They do concentrate on the gas side tho and pass the electric over to our lot at G4S..now we are rubbish as expected. You will be guaranteed not to see much of the abysmal efforts of the likes of Npower ( I was advised by a top BG RPU man that they are the worst ) EDF, EON and of course, useless Scot Power.
    I found a good one today at a house which had just been burgled, I made his day by finding the electric bypassed as well. This was a Spark Energy supplied house.. Still trying to get in touch with their RPU., my head office are looking for their phone number as they ve never had it before.. I bet they dont even have one
    The DNO people ,or their contractors change the meters not the suppliers. In my area its Northern Powergrid for electric and National Grid or their contractors for gas meters.
  • lvf
    lvf Posts: 145 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I made his day by finding the electric bypassed as well.

Does it not frighten you a bit finding them? Like you notice the bypass and the occupant waiting behind you with a lead pipe to knock you out? :rotfl:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.2K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 249K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure