Beware £13 bottle of Grants Scotch

Options
I was in Asda in Poole this evening to get a bottle of scotch. I looked at the rows on display and my eyes settled on a bottle of Grants. Asda price £13.

Not a bad price for Grants, thought I, and put it in my basket.

But when I got to my sisters house, I took it out of the bag and was about to open it when I thought there was something wrong. On closer inspection, the 'bottle of Grants' was actually only a 50cl bottle instead of the usual 70cl.

The bottle went back into the bag and immediately back to Asda. They never raised a query on why I was returning it. After I got my cash back, I went and looked again at the whisky on the shelves. There were three bottles - 1 litre, 70cl and 50cl, all on different shelves. The 70cl was £14 and the 50cl £13!

So they've reduced the size of a normal bottle by about 25% and knocked a quid off the price. I wonder how many people have fallen for this deceitful little trick?
"There are not enough superlatives in the English language to describe a 'Princess Coronation' locomotive in full cry. We shall never see their like again". O S Nock

Comments

• Farway
    Farway Posts: 13,290 Forumite
    Homepage Hero First Post Name Dropper Photogenic
    Options
    Probably loads, and the major supermarkets still wonder why the straight forward shops, such as Lidl & Aldi are taking their trade
    Eight out of ten owners who expressed a preference said their cats preferred other peoples gardens
  • wiogs
    wiogs Posts: 2,744 Forumite
    Options
    I was in Asda in Poole this evening to get a bottle of scotch. I looked at the rows on display and my eyes settled on a bottle of Grants. Asda price £13.

But when I got to my sisters house, I took it out of the bag and was about to open it when I thought there was something wrong. On closer inspection, the 'bottle of Grants' was actually only a 50cl bottle instead of the usual 70cl.

The bottle went back into the bag and immediately back to Asda. They never raised a query on why I was returning it. After I got my cash back, I went and looked again at the whisky on the shelves. There were three bottles - 1 litre, 70cl and 50cl, all on different shelves. The 70cl was £14 and the 50cl £13!

So they've reduced the size of a normal bottle by about 25% and knocked a quid off the price. I wonder how many people have fallen for this deceitful little trick?

Possibly people who don't pay enough attention to what they are buying.

Deceitful? I think not.
  • zygurat789
    zygurat789 Posts: 4,263 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    70cl Grants is currently only £12 in Sainsbobs.

I bought mine a few weeks ago when it was even cheaper at £10 instead of £17

They currently have 70cl Teachers for £10

The big supermarkets will tell you it is marketing and that their marketing depts increase their sales.
    Well now we are able to shop, countrywide, with a supermarket who just prices their goods at a reasonable margin and doesn't have a sophisticated marketing dept and we can show the big supermarkets that their marketing depts. with their yoyo prices actually cost them sales
    The only thing that is constant is change.
  • maninthestreet
    Options

You didn't notice that the bottle was much smaller? 28.5% smaller should be rather obvious.
    "You were only supposed to blow the bl**dy doors off!!"
  • Torry_Quine
    Torry_Quine Posts: 18,840 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    You didn't notice that the bottle was much smaller? 28.5% smaller should be rather obvious.

^^ This.

OP That size is nothing new, it's always been called a half-bottle
    Lost my soulmate so life is empty.

I can bear pain myself, he said softly, but I couldna bear yours. That would take more strength than I have -
    Diana Gabaldon, Outlander
  • poppasmurf_bewdley
    Options
    ^^ This.

OP That size is nothing new, it's always been called a half-bottle

A half bottle is 35cl and a completely different shape. This 50cl bottle is the same design and shape as a 70cl bottle and, in my opinion, designed to deceive.

And as another OP pointed out, 28.5% smaller for about 7.5% less money.
    "There are not enough superlatives in the English language to describe a 'Princess Coronation' locomotive in full cry. We shall never see their like again". O S Nock
  • Torry_Quine
    Torry_Quine Posts: 18,840 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Bake Off Boss!
    Options
    A half bottle is 35cl and a completely different shape. This 50cl bottle is the same design and shape as a 70cl bottle and, in my opinion, designed to deceive.

And as another OP pointed out, 28.5% smaller for about 7.5% less money.

OK, my mistake.

How though did you miss it being so much smaller?
    Lost my soulmate so life is empty.

I can bear pain myself, he said softly, but I couldna bear yours. That would take more strength than I have -
    Diana Gabaldon, Outlander
  • poppasmurf_bewdley
    Options
    OK, my mistake.

How though did you miss it being so much smaller?

The 50cl bottle is almost as tall as the 70cl bottle and was on a separate shelf, away from the other 70cl bottles, and had a large sign saying 'Asda price £13', making it appear to be a special price.

I admit it was my mistake not to have looked more closely. A mistake I shall not make again. In my opinion, all designed to deceive.

I normally shop in Lidl, and only used Asda in this instance as I'm staying with relatives and the store is just around the corner from them.
  • scotsbob
    scotsbob Posts: 4,632 Forumite
    edited 20 December 2014 at 11:39PM
    Options
    I went and looked again at the whisky on the shelves. There were three bottles - 1 litre, 70cl and 50cl, all on different shelves.

That's three bottles, all containing different amounts, on three different shelves.

Not your fault then. Must be someone else to blame.
  • poppasmurf_bewdley
    poppasmurf_bewdley Posts: 5,910 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    edited 20 December 2014 at 11:44PM
    Options
    scotsbob wrote: »
    "Three different sized bottles on three different shelves."

Not your fault then. Must be someone else to blame.

To quote what I have already said above:

I admit it was my mistake not to have looked more closely. A mistake I shall not make again. In my opinion, all designed to deceive.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.6K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.2K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure