Warm air heating troubles

Options
Hi all,
we moved into a rented property six months ago and it has a warm air heating system, it is a Johnson and Starley Economaire which I have never had any dealings with before, and when we use it it seems we can't have the thermostat on less that 6 before it goes off completely, we got our quarterly gas bill in and it was a terrible £300.00!

We have had a gas engineer out who thought it could be the thermostat and fitted a new one today, but the problem still persists, this system is less than a year old so can't see there being any real problems with it, so am wondering maybe we just aren't using it right??

I tend to switch it on CONT, then put it onto number 6 on the thermostat, I would like it on a lower setting for more comfortable level but as soon as it is put lower- like say on 5 it eventually goes off :/ can anyone help or give any tips or ideas? I truly cant afford to be paying £300 every quarter!!

thanks!

Comments

• Robwiz
    Robwiz Posts: 364 Forumite
    Options
    You need to give us a bit more information. How big is the property - number of rooms and area? (You'll be able to get this from the Energy Performance Certificate which will be online). Is it double glazed? You say the system is a year old, is the property the same age? Also, whereabouts in the country are you? Do you know what room temperatures setting 6 was giving you?

Generally you should set the timer to switch the heat on when you need it because you will be occupying the rooms. And off when the place is empty or you're sleeping.

It's reckoned that gas warm air heating uses around 15-20% less gas than heating to radiators.

I suggest you take daily gas meter readings whilst you're experimenting with the controls and settings. A cubic metre of gas is approximately 11 kWh and costs around 4p. Also, use a thermometer to make sure you're not overheating the place – 21º is reckoned to be adequate and every degree higher uses about 10% more gas.
  • sootica1976
    Options
    The property is 197m2, it is a 3 bed detached bungalow. it has 10 rooms including a large hallway. It is double glazed.
    The property is around 30 years old. Setting 6 is 21.5 degrees. We live just outside Darlington in the North east.
    It is baffling us why we cant turn it down lower than 6, we can turn it higher than 6, but not lower than 6 as it just seems to go off altogether after a while.
    It is not on any timer we just switch it on when needed.
    I have heard that it is cheaper than radiators and this is why I am confused as to the large gas bill.
    It is a good idea to check the gas readings, so will do that.

Thank you so much :)
  • McKneff
    McKneff Posts: 38,825 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Are you sure its not turning off at no 5 because it is warm enough, in time,when the temp drops it will come back on again.

Its how ours works anyway. I love our warm air heating. No waiting for radiators, instant warmth.
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
  • sootica1976
    Options
    This is the thing Mckneff, maybe we arent using it correctly or arent getting it because we have never had this kind of heating before lol
    It just seems when we turn it down after a while it seems to go off and it seems to get really cold really quickly, but as you say this may be how it is meant to work lol
    Thanks x
  • Robwiz
    Options
    Thanks for the extra info. £100 per month is maybe a bit high for your size of house, but as you're enjoying 21.5º comfort it's not excessive. That's assuming of course that the start and end meter readings are both actuals and you haven't been charged a high estimate.

Try easing the setting back just a smidgeon below 6 and see what temperature it settles at and when the heating starts up again.

The air coming out of the vents is probably around 30º so will feel warm. But when the thermostat cuts the fan, the air temperature at the sensor will still be 21-ish. With a thermometer you can check what temperature signals a call for heat again.

We loved the gas warm air heating in our first home. I'd have it any time over radiators.

One further thing – set your heating on 6, read the gas meter then go back after one hour and read the meter again to get an idea how much it's costing you per hour.

Does the system have a time switch/programmer? Could you try it and see what difference it makes to your daily gas use? The great thing about warm air is that it heats up a cold house really quickly – much faster than rads – so you can only run the heating when you need it.
  • sootica1976
    Options
    Thanks Robwiz.
    You are brilliant! I will do as you suggest and see what happens, the system does have a time and we shall try that, the gas readings are actual readings, I too was hoping they weren't lol!
    Thanks again for all your help, you are a diamond!!
  • Robwiz
    Options
    sootica, you're welcome. Please report back your findings so that we know how you've got on. It would also be helpful for anyone who does a search on this topic in future.
  • r2015
    r2015 Posts: 1,136 Forumite
    Home Insurance Hacker! Cashback Cashier
    Options
    I've got warm air heating as well, had it for 23 years and used to love it until Scottish Gas made us increase the ventilation and take the door of the cupboard it is in.

Now my kitchen is draughty and I have to keep the kitchen door closed all the time.

I got cavity wall insulation and I have noticed that it takes longer for the house to cool down when the heating is off (as long as the kitchen door is closed) but my gas consumption does not seem to have reduced all that much because I suspect with the increased ventilation.

Also the flue, which goes through the centre of the house and up to the attic is starting to show signs of corrosion and will need to be replaced in a year or two with a one piece flue because of new regulations, probably costing more than a new heating installation.

Where I live no one wants to service warm air heating as it needs specially trained engineers.

Now I am going to replace the heating with normal radiators.

I have cancelled my maintenance contract with SG saving me £250 a year and will also save £100 a year on the gas wasted on pilot lights.

So if new heating costs £3500 I will get payback in 10 years and it will also make it easier to sell my house if I want, nobody wants to buy a house with warm air heating now.

I have noticed another poster in similar circumstances, it wouldn't surprise me if he lives nearby.

Anyway enough of my ranting, I usually have my thermostat at 6.5 which gives a temp of 21 deg C, if I turn it down to 5 my heating goes off until the temperature drops to 15 deg C that's how thermostats work.

Also it is not a click off and on thermostat, it has a variable resistor so that as the temperature increases the fan slows down, at least mine does.
    over 73 but not over the hill.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport