PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Claire's OS house deposit quest!

Options

Comments

• NewShadow
    NewShadow Posts: 6,858 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    Not a stupid question.

On the treadmill, obviously it tells you - minus your warm up distance (walking or jogging). You can use the distance and recorded time to work out your minutes per mile (I aim for a 10 minute mile for a relaxed run, but not quite there today)

Outside I run where I know - I listen to music and zone out when I run so have to be somewhere I know and that's safe (no roads/cars/weirdos) - today was here: http://www.city-runs.co.uk/img/routes/butepk.pdf It's close to home and work, and popular with runners so fairly safe in the middle of the day. Plus beautiful.

I did the red loop, walked/jogged (intervals) it once to warm up and remember it, then ran it, then walked it again to cool down while I drank some water.

If I do it again three times next week, then the week after I'll aim to do red and purple in a figure 8.

I don't like the orange route as its quite overgrown and there're a lot of dog walkers up that way (so have to watch your feet).

Ultimately I should be doing red, purple and blue. Twice. In about 45 minutes...but that might take a while... maybe by christmas :rotfl:
    That sounds like a classic case of premature extrapolation.

House Bought July 2020 - 19 years 0 months remaining on term
    Next Step: Bathroom renovation booked for January 2021
    Goal: Keep the bigger picture in mind...
  • betsycat
    betsycat Posts: 107 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Options
    Also CRANKY40 if you have a smartphone there are lots of apps you can download (RunKeeper, Nike+ Running etc) that will keep track of you as you run and let you know how far/fast... although it can sometimes take the joy out of it :)

Well done NewShadow for getting back out there, you'll be back to your old distances and speeds sooner than you think... once your legs stop saying "what... this again?!" :D
  • NewShadow
    Options
    Breakfast - Melon and 2x satsumas
    Lunch - eggs, spinach, mushroom, (bacon?)
    Dinner - potato wedges, beans, bacon

Big (kilo) pack of bacon misshapes defrosted. I need to cook the pack then either refreeze in portions or work out what I'm cooking this week.

First weigh day on Tuesday - starting last week at 100kg, aiming for 75kg by next christmas.

Sunday is my week prep day, so, to-do:
    • Sort clothes for week (check calendar for meetings and if none dig out jeans :D)
    • Sort a pantsuit to take to work for in locker (last minute meetings)
    • Sort breakfasts (4 tubs oats weighed with sultanas and cinnamon, 4 tubs frozen blueberries and raspberries, 4 bananas, 8 Satsumas, 4 yogurts - not HM this month as Muller light were on offer)
    • Sort lunches (4 potatoes, 2 tins beans, make 600g tub cottage cheese)
    • Cook bacon and portion up
    • Get £5 from ATM for Friday brunch and Eggman (check purses and pockets first as I probably have enough buckshot)
    • Change cat litter
    • Sort a load of laundry to put in machine mid week
    • Shower

• CRANKY40
    CRANKY40 Posts: 5,778 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud! Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Thank you for the info. I walk, but I know roughly how far I get because I know how far I walk in an hour. Is that your cat in your avatar N-S? I have one grey cat like that and we also have a litter tray as she is too much if a lady to dig holes in the garden, sigh. I also have her half sister (same mother, different father so not quite as posh) but she is black not grey.

My savings plan has changed. We're going to Florida for my 50th birthday in 2017 so no holiday in 2016 apart from probably a trip to London to visit my dad. All savings will be for our big adventure. My sister and her husband are coming too :j
  • CyclingLondonSaver
    Options
    Evening all!

Suitably OS day. Started with a shop in Lidl followed by picking up a few bits in Asda that I couldn't get. Total spend of £34 for the week's shop.

I then went for a cycle through the delightful south-east London, followed by brownie making. Just put a Thai beef and aubergine curry into the slow cooker - hopefully it'll be ready for work lunch tomorrow.

Ought to sleep now I suppose. I'm so bad at early nights!
    Fed up of paying off someone else's mortgage so saving for a deposit for my own home :D

As of 20/07/2015: £35000 / £35000 :T :T :j

Now saving for stamp duty and furniture
  • NewShadow
    edited 12 January 2015 at 5:49PM
    Options
    Just put a Thai beef and aubergine curry into the slow cooker

Recipe?
    I know roughly how far I get because I know how far I walk in an hour.

Truth be told I know roughly how far I run in an hour, but it can be hard to keep track when running - on a good day I can run the loop and think it was only 5 minutes, on a bad day I'd swear three years past as I was slogging round (I mean, I must have taken a wrong turning, because this is so much farther than a mile...) - a mile is always somewhere between 10 and 15 minutes - averaging 13... 20 minutes if I need to take a 'scenic stop' to admire the view :rotfl:

I seem to have an unexpected £40 in my account - normally by now its all gone on shopping and bills. I've checked all my DD's have gone, so it seems I've underspend on food this month - can't say I've noticed...

I've just transferred £30 into my savings and will keep an eye on it to make sure I've not missed anything.

Hopefully will be able to move the other 10 as well by the end of the month :)

• CRANKY40
    CRANKY40 Posts: 5,778 Forumite
    Debt-free and Proud! Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I raided the copper jar today, bagged up some silver that I'd traded for real money with my small son but then just left in the cupboard then sorted out the unfiled post to find the £2.80 cheque that my energy supplier sent me before Christmas for reasons best known to themselves. Result....£30.80 paid into the bank.
  • CyclingLondonSaver
    CyclingLondonSaver Posts: 45 Forumite
    edited 13 January 2015 at 12:18AM
    Options
    Evening all! Dastardly day at work today - left my house at 8am and wasn't back till 8pm! Tomorrow will be similar I think.

I picked up final bits for the weekly shop from Waitrose, spending £4.20. No more spending for the rest of the week now, I've got all the necessary ingredients for meals till Saturday. The boyfriend wants to go out for dinner on Thursday but I shall have to refuse - unless he pays! :p

In money-saving news, my sister finally transferred the £20 she owes me for our Dad's birthday present (from October last year!) into my account so that went straight into savings. Still waiting for £20 from my aunt too... I shall have to chase!

Haven't got round to returning my £25 trousers yet, I think I'll have to go on Wednesday after work. That'll go into the savings too. Small sums but it all adds up.
    NewShadow wrote: »
    Recipe?
    Cook an onion and three cloves of garlic for a few minutes and then brown 400-500g of braising steak and a cubed aubergine. Then add a can of coconut milk, two tablespoons of Thai curry paste, a tablespoon of fish sauce (though I left out, don't like it) and some dried chilli if you fancy. Bring that to the boil then tip into the slow cooker and cook on low for 8-9 hours. Comes out deliciously! It's made enough for 3 meals for me with rice or cous cous.
    Fed up of paying off someone else's mortgage so saving for a deposit for my own home :D

• CyclingLondonSaver
    Options
    CRANKY40 wrote: »
    I raided the copper jar today, bagged up some silver that I'd traded for real money with my small son but then just left in the cupboard then sorted out the unfiled post to find the £2.80 cheque that my energy supplier sent me before Christmas for reasons best known to themselves. Result....£30.80 paid into the bank.
    Good stuff! Last year I raided my piggy bank that had been accumulating for ages. Found upwards of £40 in it, from coppers through to £2 coins :D

Banked it all but I wasn't OS or MSE then so probably spent it all on nonsense :eek:

• NewShadow
    Options
    Breakfast - Oats, Banana, Dried fruit
    Lunch - Potato, Cottage cheese, Beans,
    Snack - Yogurt, Grapes, 2 x Satsuma
    Dinner - Bacon omelette, wedges, beans

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.7K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure