Rock Law - Can I go back now?

Options
124»

Comments

• magpiecottage
    Options
    Unless and until the Legal Ombudsman says otherwise, I would still submit complaints to it.

I suspect that, if you can get the complaint upheld, you will have rights against the insurer under the Third Parties (Rights Against Insurers) Act 2010.
  • Legal_Ombudsman
    Legal_Ombudsman Posts: 79 Organisation Representative
    edited 19 November 2015 at 4:26PM
    Options
    We are still accepting complaints against Rock Law Ltd without customers first having to complain to Rock Law.

You can contact us on 0300 555 0333 or at www.legalombudsman.org.uk/cmc
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official organisation representative of the Legal Ombudsman service. MSE has given permission for me to post. You can see my name on the organisations with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com"
  • racchy1
    racchy1 Posts: 5 Forumite
    edited 23 January 2016 at 2:13AM
    Options
    I consider myself pretty smart on matters such as this but I fell for the Rock Law claim that they could see details of who owed me PPI. Having my own business for 25 years and having a lot of PPI with credit card companies / store cards etc. back in the '90's (also as a 'card tart' I changed cards regularly), I was on the PPI scam early when I broke my leg and found none of them paid out.

I took what I thought was all the companies who'd fraudulently taken PPI from me to court over a decade ago and won a lot back as a result, but I was surprised when I was contacted last year by Barclays, representing a store card that I had in 1998 and telling me that I was due over £600 back (most of which was interest!). Following their advice, I subsequently claimed and received the full sum even though I didn't even remember I'd had the card!

While I was wondering how many other cards I'd had that I'd forgotten about Rock Law (or their subsidiary company) rung me and told me they could see other companies owed me money. I had no reason to doubt them - not knowing that this was, in fact, a blatant lie.... The rest of the story you can see from the stories above. Even though I realised my mistake within 48 hours I couldn't get anything back - not so much as a phone call! - from Rock Law.

Fortunately however, I'd paid on a credit card and I contacted Lloyds Bank and they put in a chargeback immediately. The did warn me that Rock Law may dispute it and claw it back but they never did. Looking here now I can see why.

Anyway, please remember - if you did pay the £495 on credit card then contact your card provider and tell them you've been scammed.
  • Sazzy82
    Options
    I just wanted to say thanks for the advice on this forum.

I too fell foul of the scam but thankfully was able to claim my money back from my credit company and put the whole thing behind me!

Lesson well and truly learned!!!
  • lindylou536
    Options
    I was caught by this last summer too. £495 paid and now can't contact them. Any ideas? Has anyone had any success? I'm always so careful.....can't believe I did such a ridiculous thing!!
  • magpiecottage
    Options
    Why not follow the guidance from the Legal Ombudsman on this thread?
  • Stevie_Palimo
    Stevie_Palimo Posts: 3,306 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Why not follow the guidance from the Legal Ombudsman on this thread?

Because people have the blinkers on in these situations and rarely look for the correct details/information, I find that it is heat of the moment whereby people will not check things properly in the first instance, The advice offered here should be absorbed and acted upon rather than writing further posts stating what do I do.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure