PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.
We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Advice on moving out of London

Options
1235»

Comments

• happy35
    happy35 Posts: 1,616 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I live in a large market town, it has a lot of newcomers from the uk and also different parts on the world. I live in a very accepting place of individuality although some of my neighbouring towns are less so
    I know this is too far north for you, but I just wanted to say that sometimes it is individual towns in areas that are more suited to a move from London than a particular county in general
  • Nargleblast
    Nargleblast Posts: 10,762 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Caterina - two words. County Durham.

We moved here from the Peterborough area 12 years ago and have never regretted it. Try it for a short break and see what it has to.offer - you can get on a train at Kings Cross direct to Durham itself.
    One life - your life - live it!
  • GreyQueen
    GreyQueen Posts: 13,008 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Options
    :) There was a large disapora of Londoners into my home town in the sixties and this caused some amusing cultural clashes at the time, between the cheeky cockney sparrers and the more-reserved locals, until we learned each others' funny little ways and how to rub along. There were several gags circulating which mocked both sides, one of my favourite ones was;

Q. What does a Londoner think when he sees a pile of milk bottles?
    A. That he's found a cow's nest.

But we also say You can always tell a local man. Well, you can tell him, but he won't pay a blind bit of attention.

The country-city mashup certainly gave my smallish hometown a more urban vibe, but Mum's side of the family are mostly in East London. Some of the have been known to twock cars, unfortunately, but they're mostly OK.

I'm very at ease in the countryside and know a lot of rural-applicable stuff, so blend easily into most company. I was on a common on the city edges on Saturday, propped up on a piebald pony, nattering away to its gypsy owner. We then went to look at the dismembered chickens which the fox had taken overnight........I don't fuss about such things and it was an interesting conversation.

I think that travelling widely, and perhaps renting in a prospective area, would be the ideal way to test the waters and see if an area suits you.
    Every increased possession loads us with a new weariness.
    John Ruskin
    Veni, vidi, eradici
    (I came, I saw, I kondo'd)
  • Caterina
    Caterina Posts: 5,919 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Caterina - two words. County Durham.

That would be an interesting return to the roots for DH, whose Grandfather was from County Durham! :)
    Finally I'm an OAP and can travel free (in London at least!).
  • tootallulah
    Options
    Hi Caterina I moved from very near where you live u to a market town in North Notts earlier this year BUT I had bought a house here ten years ago so I knew what I was moving to. I agree with the idea of renting your house out, I have rented out my London flat because if in the end I don't settle further north I need a base in London and the way house prices are there would be no way of getting back in the housing market. At the minute I am enjoying not living in London, though I am a frequent visitor. I live close to the centre of town up here and the transport links are excellent. I am also close to Nottingham, Leeds and York if I fancy a bigger town and London is only an hour and twenty minutes away. I have made good friends here and feel a strong sense of community.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport