12-24 weeks pregnant (part 4)

Options

Comments

• rinroo
    rinroo Posts: 945 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    We had a boys name agreed which was going to be Noah, although I loved Stanley and Ernest, DH hated them :D

We're having a girl and cannot agree on a name. We've had a nickname ever since the boys were young for a girl and everyone friends/family refer to the baby as this nickname but I'm not so sure I want to call it her. I love Penelope, Mabel and Delilah but DH hates them also.

I'm a sucker for really old fashioned names :o
  • skintbuthappy81
    Options
    rinroo wrote: »
    We had a boys name agreed which was going to be Noah, although I loved Stanley and Ernest, DH hated them :D

We're having a girl and cannot agree on a name. We've had a nickname ever since the boys were young for a girl and everyone friends/family refer to the baby as this nickname but I'm not so sure I want to call it her. I love Penelope, Mabel and Delilah but DH hates them also.

I'm a sucker for really old fashioned names :o

Just out of interest what's the nickname you call her? It isn't Bea as in Beatrice is it?? (There is a reason I say this, I haven't lost the plot just yet)
    Married 1st October 2015:heartpuls

1st Baby due June 2016 :happylove
  • dinky_dragon
    dinky_dragon Posts: 145 Forumite
    Options
    Penelope was going to be our girls name if thats what we were having, and Mabel was on our list too! I love old fashioned names too, just struggling to think of boys names we can agree on. I love Monty and Albie but OH won't entertain either of them....boooooooo x
    :p Proud Mummy to Ruby :p
    born 02/01/09 5lb 2
  • rinroo
    Options
    Just out of interest what's the nickname you call her? It isn't Bea as in Beatrice is it?? (There is a reason I say this, I haven't lost the plot just yet)

It's not a nickname as such, it's an actual name Daisy.

The story behind it is so cringy though. When we were pregnant with DS1 dh said if the baby was a girl we'd have to call her Daisy as she'd be a little cow like me (he means this jokingly, in an affectionate way) as I can be a horror sometimes when I'm "hangry" and a bit of moody Cow in general :o Then when we were pregnant with DS2 dh and family began referred to bump as Daisy until the baby was born and he was obviously not a Daisy :D So when we began ttc with this baby everyone referred to us having a little Daisy and continue to do so now we know we're having a girl.

I can't imagine anyone calling her any different but I don't actually like the name. I wanted something a little more substantial for a name.
  • rinroo
    Options
    Penelope was going to be our girls name if thats what we were having, and Mabel was on our list too! I love old fashioned names too, just struggling to think of boys names we can agree on. I love Monty and Albie but OH won't entertain either of them....boooooooo x

:j I'm so glad i'm not the only one who love old fashioned names, people in work look at me like i've gone mad when I say what I love.

I love Monty. I love Barnaby and Hector too.
  • skintbuthappy81
    Options
    It's not a nickname as such, it's an actual name Daisy.

The story behind it is so cringy though. When we were pregnant with DS1 dh said if the baby was a girl we'd have to call her Daisy as she'd be a little cow like me (he means this jokingly, in an affectionate way) as I can be a horror sometimes when I'm "hangry" and a bit of moody Cow in general :o Then when we were pregnant with DS2 dh and family began referred to bump as Daisy until the baby was born and he was obviously not a Daisy :D So when we began ttc with this baby everyone referred to us having a little Daisy and continue to do so now we know we're having a girl.

I can't imagine anyone calling her any different but I don't actually like the name. I wanted something a little more substantial for a name.

Awww I think Daisy is such a cute name!!

When we had our scan (at Salford) a couple came in to the waiting room after finding out they were having a girl, they kept calling the baby Bea so a random woman asked them if that was going to be her name and they said the same as you, that it wasn't but that the girl loved old fashioned names and this had stuck. (I felt I had to explain as I wondered if the girl in question was yourself and also to prevent me looking a bit crazy :o)
    Married 1st October 2015:heartpuls

1st Baby due June 2016 :happylove
  • pigpen
    pigpen Posts: 41,013 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Delilah

I have a Delilah.. OH still dislikes it but he liked Gabrielle which was used as a middle name because I hated it so much.

My Delilah met Samson on Monday.. made my week!!

My grand-daughter has Beatrice as a middle name and DD calls her Bea.

I like really old fashioned names usually ending in 'a' and flower names.. kind of running out at girl number 9.. OH like awful common boring names..

Boys name has been sorted for about 15 years.. OH has zero input.
    LB moment 10/06 Debt Free date 6/6/14
    Hope to be debt free until the day I die
    Mortgage-free Wannabee (05/08/30)
    6/6/14 £72,454.65 (5.65% int.)
    08/12/2023 £33602.00 (4.81% int.)
  • ThinkPink
    ThinkPink Posts: 893 Forumite
    Options
    Have you not opened the envelope yet pigpen?

I found the cutest little baby hat that I must have bought for a friend when she had her baby but for some reason never gave it to her, will keep it now for baby! Won't be buying anything for a while yet, but have started to think about what I want! I used to work in mothercare so already know a few things i wasn, like I want a crib rather than moses basket, and a cot bed rather than cot.
  • pigpen
    pigpen Posts: 41,013 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Nope.. OH and I have decided not to.

We have the wicker basket from Mothercare which we got for the 5 year old.. the new ones are a bit smaller but it is absolutely beautiful. Moses baskets are really dodgy.. you cant carry them with a sleeping baby in (my dil dropped my grandboy down the stairs trying!) the sides jst crumple when an older child tries peeping in and they are tiny by comparison.

Our crib and the basket are usable for at least 6 months.. I had mine in the swinging cribs until they were at least 8 months some were nearly a year! I did lock the swinging motion though.

I tried clearing bedroom space for the baby stuff today.. and went upstairs.. got in bed and slept for an hour!
    LB moment 10/06 Debt Free date 6/6/14
    Hope to be debt free until the day I die
    Mortgage-free Wannabee (05/08/30)
    6/6/14 £72,454.65 (5.65% int.)
    08/12/2023 £33602.00 (4.81% int.)
  • ThinkPink
    ThinkPink Posts: 893 Forumite
    Options
    I think I'll go for a swinging crib and hope baby stays in it for 6 months, then it will go into its room. I'm thinking if we get a carry cot as part of our pram baby could sleep in that when we are downstairs.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.4K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback