Electricity meter leaking black fluid

Options
davidKnowNotMuch
davidKnowNotMuch Posts: 16 Forumite
First Anniversary Combo Breaker
Hi, I've recently notice black liquid leaking out of our indoor electricity meter. I've looked it up on google and it seems to be a common issue where the wires overheat and the insulation of the wiring melts. Where with E-on for our electric and where going to ring them about it later today. I just want to know who's responsible for electric meter repairs? i'e. who pays and if anyone has had this problem before. We've only been in the house a year and the meter looks quite old.

Comments

• lstar337
    lstar337 Posts: 3,442 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Ring them ASAP, do not wait.

If you can find an emergency number, ring that as you will get heard faster.

Unless of course you would rather be ringing 999 later?

Up to you, but there is a risk of fire. I would not delay.
  • davidKnowNotMuch
    Options
    Will do, cheers
  • brightontraveller
    Options
    Black tar/gunge is not normally sheathing melting? Very likely (Cable Jointing Compound/ pitch) often black sometimes brown used to seal the cut out from water ingress. Normally at ends of incoming supply cable join onto head (bit with suppliers fuse in it) it’s not uncommon when loading is high or on hot days for it to weep run etc

There are a number of things they can do down rate fuse size e.g. if its 100a down to 80a 60 a etc, Replace cable (If the substance is hot and has a strange smell they'd treat as emergency) cost some will do so free some will charge as a new supply? most likely they’ll do nothing though
    ?
  • davidKnowNotMuch
    Options
    I'm sure your description is correct, mine was the novice version lol. Yeah the google searches did kind of advise that hot and smelly was an emergency and cold wasn't as much. - Basically ours is cold and doesn't smell, though their seems to be a fair amount, best described as a daily drip I suppose. So, should I be hitting the panic button and running home to kick down the door, or calm down?
  • lstar337
    lstar337 Posts: 3,442 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    So, should I be hitting the panic button and running home to kick down the door, or calm down?
    I still think it would be best to let your supplier/DNO/meter operator decide whether it is safe of not.

If they replace it you'll likely get a nice new digital meter which will be better for you anyway.
  • davidKnowNotMuch
    Options
    Yeah, I had alook at the date on it, 1994! think we might have moved on by now. :/
  • brightontraveller
    Options
    Personally wouldn’t worry to much about it if its cold and not smelling but For peace of mind you can Call you supplier they might raise a ticket with UK Power who’ll send someone out in a few weeks which they shouldn’t charge for ditto down rating fuse,

You normally have your supplier e.g. British gas, edf etc who bill you then UK Power Networks etc Respocible for cable from the mains cable in the public highway to the Cut-Out/Service Head might make it clearer might not :)

https://www.ukpowernetworks.co.uk/internet/en/help-and-advice/documents/sscr37v2.pdf

The only thing they may charge you for is replacing existing cable (its hit and miss on that one?) but they’d tell you before doing so

Meter is normally suppliers e.g. British gas edf etc not power distribution company so you normally need book them separately some suppliers do it all for you others are a pain
  • davidKnowNotMuch
    Options
    My wife's says their sending someone in the next hour so god knows what she said to them. I did forward the second post from this forum which would have panicked the hell out of her, so that probably did the trick.
  • brightontraveller
    Options
    Tell her to wear rubber gloves improvise a helmet with colander wrapped around with tin foil to stop emf safety goggles if not sunglasses bucket of sand at the ready:)

Interesting to see what they do some have thermal/heat detectors and check heat of cable, get you to put on all appliances check loading etc other drink tea scratch there nuts then sit in there van outside for an hour before driving off to there next job I find they often come in pairs think its because they need someone to chat too in van?
  • davidKnowNotMuch
    Options
    Not sure what I'm fearful of now, the house blowing up or the tea drinking.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.7K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.3K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure