🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Submit your suggestions via this form or post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Samsung S4 playing up

Options
Zola.
Zola. Posts: 2,204 Forumite
First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
So...my S4 is in trouble, somethings up with the lock button.... potentially stuck in a bit. It cant be pressed because it puts the phone into an endless resetting loop. Its now completely unusable and in a drawer at home.

I took it to a local shop to try and get it fixed and the guy said he couldn't look at it as he thinks its a problem with a board and may need a little soldering, along with a button replacement. The guy said he could send it away and it would take two weeks, costing £70, so I thought hmm, I will contact Samsung and see.

So... now Samsung are going to take a look at it once I send it off, they said it may be protected under warranty, but if they found water damage or that it had been damaged from being dropped I wouldn't be covered.

The only thing which is giving me doubt is the screen has been replaced about 6 months ago after the phone was stood on at football in my bag.... the screen replacement is quite obvious as the main button is black and the cover is white. The phone itself has been in a case for its whole life though and is pretty much in brand new condition.

I am not sure if its gonna be covered, time will tell!

Anyone else had a similar experience?

Comments

• Quiet_Spark
    Quiet_Spark Posts: 1,093 Forumite
    edited 1 December 2014 at 3:54PM
    Options
    If the screen replacement was a non Samsung repair (which it sounds like it was), then your warranty was voided at that point (a genuine screen would have matched the colour of the home button).
    Understeer is when you hit a wall with the front of your car
    Oversteer is when you hit a wall with the back of your car
    Horsepower is how fast your car hits the wall
    Torque is how far your car sends the wall across the field once you've hit it
  • Rusty!
    Rusty! Posts: 2,076 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Yeah what they said. Waste of time sending it to Samsung, they wont touch a device that's been messed with.
  • Zola.
    Options
    It is a genuine Samsung front cover on it , I know what you are saying though :/
  • Quiet_Spark
    Options
    Zola. wrote: »
    It is a genuine Samsung front cover on it , I know what you are saying though :/
    If it was a genuine part, why didn't the last repairer get one in the right colour?
    A genuine S4 screen would have set you back at least £130 six months ago as it comes as a whole part (front cover, glass, LCD display, and digitizer).
  • Zola.
    Options
    It was £100 for me online, but I think it came with the two buttons and i perhaps gave him the black one. Not sure to be honest. Maybe it was just the screen and digitiser only, dont remember.

He did make a comment at the time that its not the right colour but I told him not to worry as long as the phone is sorted.
  • Quiet_Spark
    edited 1 December 2014 at 4:29PM
    Options
    Maybe it was just the screen and digitiser only, dont remember.
    Unlikely as they are all bonded together.
    As Rusty said earlier, no point in sending it to Samsung now as they won't touch it until they have fitted genuine parts themselves and the cost will end up being far more than what you can buy a brand new handset for.

You're probably better off ebaying it for spares/repair and buying a new one.
  • Zola.
    Options
    nightmare, they have sent a bag out for me to send the phone back to them. I wonder if it is worth emailing them to explain the cover or is that just a waste of time.

I would probably be better off letting the local phone repair company fix it if Samsung wont touch it.
  • Quiet_Spark
    Options
    I wonder if it is worth emailing them to explain the cover or is that just a waste of time.
    It wasn't just the cover that got replaced though, you got someone to do a whole screen assembly replacement.
    If you do email them, they will simply tell you that they won't be interested in touching it until they fit all genuine parts themselves and that anything they do will be chargeable as the warranty is now void.

I would probably be better off letting the local phone repair company fix it if Samsung wont touch it.
    Samsung will fix it, although the parts and labour will end up coming to more than what the handset is worth as you voided the warranty by allowing a non Samsung agent to repair it the last time around.
    If the local phone guy says he can do it (or possibly do it as he doesn't know if he can) for £70 then you may as well go down that route.
  • Zola.
    Options
    Think that makes sense yeah, ill just not bother sending it off.

I guess I would be delaying the inevitable!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 8 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.2K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family
  • 248.6K Travel & Transport