Leaves on pavement

Comments

• littlerock
    littlerock Posts: 1,774 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Council will only collect leaves in their own bags which they do no issue to the public. My problem is my neighbour's tree which overhangs both boundary of our front gardens (gardens are quite small) and well out into the road over the pavement.

At this time of year prevailing winds blow all the leaves from his tree into our garden and onto outside my pavement and as we do not get much sun at this time of year, they soon get very slippery. Last year we swept the leaves on the pavement up into a neat pile outside neighbour's front garden wall. He ignored them. So this year we put them in a black plastic bag and hung it on his railing, under the tree. It got moved, don't know who by.
  • JustinR1979
    JustinR1979 Posts: 1,828 Forumite
    I'd take those from the front into the back and lob those over too. You're lucky it's council, mine are from a neighbour's tree and I don't want to be (caught/seen) lobbing those over.... so I take them to the tip

As for somebody above suggesting that trees were enjoyed.... I don't enjoy my neighbour's tree. I saw it when I bought the house and thought "bugg4h..." I am not a tree fan at all.... but you can only choose so much about the house you buy.

Think I will be :)
    Seems they've all collected outside my place, rest of road looks clear!
    It's alright people say enjoy them etc, but when you've got a row of 100 foot trees in front and behind your house, it's a lot of leaves to clear up - which is one thing, but disposing of them is another.
    Compost is fair suggestion, but only got small gardens and not much of a gardener. Would have enough compost for the whole town too.
    Thanks for the intelligent replies :)
  • Torry_Quine
    Torry_Quine Posts: 18,828 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Bake Off Boss!
    I don't have any trees in my garden but have leaves from trees in neighbours gardens. Clearing them every autumn is a task I could do without but it's not that hard to put them into my garden waste bin. It would never cross my mind that it was anyone's issue but mine to clear them up!
    Lost my soulmate so life is empty.

I can bear pain myself, he said softly, but I couldna bear yours. That would take more strength than I have -
    Diana Gabaldon, Outlander
  • JustinR1979
    I don't have any trees in my garden but have leaves from trees in neighbours gardens. Clearing them every autumn is a task I could do without but it's not that hard to put them into my garden waste bin. It would never cross my mind that it was anyone's issue but mine to clear them up!

What's that got to do with council owned trees filling the pavement in front of your property?
  • Torry_Quine
    What's that got to do with council owned trees filling the pavement in front of your property?

The problem is no different whoever owns the trees surely?;) As for leaves on the pavement,I wouldn't do anything about them.

I can bear pain myself, he said softly, but I couldna bear yours. That would take more strength than I have -
  • JustinR1979
    The problem is no different whoever owns the trees surely?;) As for leaves on the pavement,I wouldn't do anything about them.

You'd leave them to rot your fence?
  • Ruski
    Ruski Posts: 1,628 Forumite
    My sixpence worth: go on the council's website and fill in a form explaining that you're concerned about the possibility of someone falling over on a slippery pavement.
    I did something similar and lo and behold there was a street cleaner along within the week

Maybe it was just luck timing and it would have happened anyway, but either way it may work for you too....

HTH
    Russ
    Perfection takes time: don't expect miracles in a day :D
  • Torry_Quine
    You'd leave them to rot your fence?

If you're bothered then just sweep them away from the fence. They will only be there till the next time the street sweeper comes by.

• Lorian
    Lorian Posts: 5,704 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Photogenic
    wow some people still get a street sweeper?
  • I compost them.
    SECRET OF SUCCESS IN LIFE:
    Patience, patience & patience.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.6K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills