Widening an already dropped kerb

Just moved into a 1930's semi with a single width dropped kerb, but a 2 1/2 car width front drive (opened up with no fence/hedge/wall), the original single width drop looks like it was done years ago, whats the process for getting it widened please?

I remember years ago it was the councils job and they had to do it (and you pay them). Would i need to apply, and get them to do it, or could i get it done myself?

Thanks

Comments

• WestonDave
    WestonDave Posts: 5,154 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler
    Process varies but if you look on your council website for "footway crossing" you should find the details. Some councils have an approved contractor you have to use, others have a list you can choose from, but either way you will have to get permission to expand it - that will depend on highway safety (so for example you wouldn't be allowed to extend it too close to a junction).
    Adventure before Dementia!
  • DTDfanBoy
    DTDfanBoy Posts: 1,704 Forumite
    They'll also look closely at the on street parking situation, if there's not enough parking on street they won't let you widen the dropped kerb.
  • DTDfanBoy wrote: »
    They'll also look closely at the on street parking situation, if there's not enough parking on street they won't let you widen the dropped kerb.

That makes no sense as if you drop the curb reducing the parking on the street by one car, but this allows an extra car or two to park off road surely it's no loss or even a benefit to them?
  • WestonDave
    WestonDave Posts: 5,154 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler
    When we asked to widen ours they were happy to agree because it reduced the ability for cars to park both sides of a road that wasn't fully 3 cars wide. With us putting our drive in, they can now only park opposite which leaves 1+ car widths for vehicles to get down. It will simply depend on local conditions and requirements.
    Adventure before Dementia!
  • DTDfanBoy
    DTDfanBoy Posts: 1,704 Forumite
    Plumber90 wrote: »
    That makes no sense as if you drop the curb reducing the parking on the street by one car, but this allows an extra car or two to park off road surely it's no loss or even a benefit to them?

Not necessarily, I can park four cars in front of my house, if I were to widen the dropped kerb I could still only fit four cars but there would be one space less on the street.
  • Ectophile
    Ectophile Posts: 7,328 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Plumber90 wrote: »

At some point before I bought my house, the driveway was widened to fit two cars on, but with the original dropped kerb. It isn't a problem - I just drive on diagonally. I can still get both cars in and out.
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
  • Furts
    Furts Posts: 4,474 Forumite
    DTDfanBoy wrote: »

And if one applies for planning permission to my local authority there is a policy of a maximum parking per home of 1.5 cars, and a maximum garage space of 1 car. I have not asked how they tally this against dropped kerb applications, but I if suspect multiple cars will be parked then the dropped kerb application will be refused.
  • cyclonebri1
    cyclonebri1 Posts: 12,827 Forumite
    Furts wrote: »
    And if one applies for planning permission to my local authority there is a policy of a maximum parking per home of 1.5 cars, and a maximum garage space of 1 car. I have not asked how they tally this against dropped kerb applications, but I if suspect multiple cars will be parked then the dropped kerb application will be refused.

I haven't heard that, but I guess it's down to location and parking density, up here it's not an issue.

But what furts says is important, ie, it requires a planning permission application and widening is treated as a new dropped kerb.

Across the country charges by various councils differ massively, when I was looking at mine, (never did it because of the cost), If I lived in Northumberland it would cost under £500, here in Derbs, near on £2k.

And no, the council don';t have to be the ones to do it, they have a list of approved contrators that are allowed.
    I like the thanks button, but ,please, an I agree button.

Will the grammar and spelling police respect I do make grammatical errors, and have carp spelling, no need to remind me.;)

Always expect the unexpected:eek:and then you won't be dissapointed
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport