PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Christmas Eve Meal Ideas

Options
124»

Comments

• CAT££
    CAT££ Posts: 341 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    MrsAtobe wrote: »
    Ham, home made pineapple sauce, cauliflower cheese and a jacket spud. I actually look forward more to that than turkey on Christmas day.

You could then do a turkey and ham pie for Boxing day.

Great minds think alike :T How do you make your pineapple sauce? Sounds delish.....
    Cat :wave:
  • lizifee
    lizifee Posts: 22 Forumite
    Options
    My Fil is fussy with food, very traditional, no sauces, nothing spicy so it limits me a bit. He would like a pie but I may make that out of the turkey leftovers.

A nice meal could be: Place in an oven dish with some olive oil, salmon, garlic, onions, vegetable stock, parsley, green beans, cherry tomatoes and some chopped potatoes. Cover it in tinfoil and let it bake for half an hour or so - very simple and tasty!
  • Tillytrotter1
    Options
    Thank you all for taking the time to post some great ideas. I think I may go for gammon, chips and salady stuff (even though fil hates salad, but hey we all need to compromise) but would also love the recipe for the pineapple chutney please.
  • Tillytrotter1
    Options
    meritaten wrote: »
    our traditional Christmas Eve meal in our house has always been 'Steak and Chips' with ALL the sides! either Sirloin or Rump steak, home made chips, battered onion rings (homemade), mushrooms, peas, a little green salad (lettuce, cucumber and cress) Tomato wedge and loads of Pepper sauce (Shwartz - apparently they make it better than me). I don't do starter or dessert - the main is so big!

I'm going to do this New Years Eve, even ordered a chip pan so I can make proper chips again, so looking forward to it! Bizarrely though my OH doesn't like my hm onion rings and prefers the frozen supermarket ones as he finds the onions too hard. Go figure!
  • meritaten
    meritaten Posts: 24,158 Forumite
    edited 1 December 2014 at 10:28PM
    Options
    Parboil the onions for a few mins or bung in microwave for a minute or so until they begin to soften! I like the thick chunky ones and sometimes the onion doesn't quite 'cook' enough unless you pre cook before battering.
    I love the Christmas eve meal - I don't particularly like 'Roast Dinner', so this is the highlight of Christmas meals for me.
    I hope this helps - because to me, the onion rings are one of the best bits!
  • DODO_2
    DODO_2 Posts: 1,529 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    a fish/seafood platter - prawns, salmon, crab with warm bread and champers

no cooking required except to warm the bread
  • ScarletRibbons
    Options
    We usually have scampi and chips, but I would like a chinese takeaway this year.
  • Tillytrotter1
    Options
    meritaten wrote: »
    Parboil the onions for a few mins or bung in microwave for a minute or so until they begin to soften! I like the thick chunky ones and sometimes the onion doesn't quite 'cook' enough unless you pre cook before battering.
    I love the Christmas eve meal - I don't particularly like 'Roast Dinner', so this is the highlight of Christmas meals for me.
    I hope this helps - because to me, the onion rings are one of the best bits!

Thanks Meritaten, I agree, they are one of the best bits so I will follow your advice and see if it does the trick!
  • FunkyFairy
    Options
    We always have roast duck christmas eve
  • Prudent
    Prudent Posts: 11,450 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Another votes for the cottage pie too as it can be made in advance. If you top half with sweet potato and the other half with normal potato it gives a pretty colour contrast.
    Frugal Living Challenge 2024 CROFT Crafting: £84/300, R (visiting daughter): £145/£500 Outside activities: £114/244 (Allotment), Outside 2 (Mud monsters et al) £127 F(Family visits): £50/500 Tummy (food budget): Aiming to use full budget monthly of £200
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure