PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Christmas Eve Meal Ideas

Options

Comments

• DigForVictory
    DigForVictory Posts: 11,906 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Something simple - cottage pie? With mash that allows the idea of hoof prints in the snow to be floated.
    That way, when there are snowy bootprints (flour a welly, carefully), the imaginations have been primed as well as stomachs filled.
    Deliberately set up "a tradition" for the little ones!
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Cold finger buffet. Saves cooking!

I'd go with this - and the leftovers and what you don't use are then available to be served with cold turkey for Xmas Day tea. That way you keep it easy on Xmas Eve night and make it easy for scoffers/nibblers and tea-time the next day.
  • Poddly
    Poddly Posts: 197 Forumite
    Options
    Our tradition has always been Chinese duck and pancakes, with other oriental nibbles. Just whack duck in oven, warm pancakes, cut up spring onions and cucumber. Sometimes do (ready made) fried rice as well. Lots of cheats/shortcuts as I will have already spent the day prepping food for the next day. Might not suit your family though.
  • bossymoo
    bossymoo Posts: 6,924 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    We tend to have those things that you never get round to on xmas day, so we start on the cheese and pickles with crackers, salad, maybe sneak a bit of gammon too, in some nice rolls warm from the oven.
    Bossymoo

Away with the fairies :beer:
  • calicocat
    calicocat Posts: 5,698 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Chutzpah Haggler
    Options
    I second the cottage pie....

Or a takeaway. Not too much fuss and effort. Xmas eve should be for relaxing in my book....as much as possible anyhow.
    Yep...still at it, working out how to retire early.:D....... Going to have to rethink that scenario as have been screwed over by the company. A work in progress.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    As there will be lots of meat on Christmas Day and also Boxing Day etc. we usually plump for Fish or a Veggie dish on Christmas Eve. Salmon is really nice cos you can do lots of different things with it and make it as simple or complicated as you like.
  • Brambleberry
    Options
    Why oh why have I never thought of hoof-prints-in-the-snow shepherd's pie? What a lovely idea!

We always used to have a "something with chips" meal for Christmas eve, varying the something each year.
    ***Mortgage Free Oct 2018 - Debt Free again (after detour) June 2022***
    Never underestimate the power of a beautiful spreadsheet
  • Tillytrotter1
    Options
    Thank you for all the lovely ideas, they all sound fab. I really like the idea of hoof prints in the cottage pie as that's exactly what I want to do, establish new traditions for the little ones. Plus I could make the base ahead and freeze. Some great ideas to choose from so thanks again.
  • betterlife
    Options
    we normally start the gammon ham, and have it with mash or hm chips, salad and pickles, however made start something new this year, depends if i have to do last minute shopping. one year i did do a family chrismas brunch and made homemade waffles, american pancakes, blueberry muffins ect and served with fresh strawberries, maple syrup, crispy bacon, was very much enjoyed by everyone x
    One day I will live in a cabin in the woods
  • meritaten
    meritaten Posts: 24,158 Forumite
    Options
    our traditional Christmas Eve meal in our house has always been 'Steak and Chips' with ALL the sides! either Sirloin or Rump steak, home made chips, battered onion rings (homemade), mushrooms, peas, a little green salad (lettuce, cucumber and cress) Tomato wedge and loads of Pepper sauce (Shwartz - apparently they make it better than me). I don't do starter or dessert - the main is so big!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure