PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Christmas Eve Meal Ideas

Options

Comments

• Horizon81
    Horizon81 Posts: 1,594 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Fish n chips! There was a big queue in my local chippy last year on Christmas Eve full of like minded people taking the easy option.
  • Pippapotomus
    Options
    Another vote for fish and chips from the chippie here! Every year on Christmas Eve, after we get home from the panto my sister and her husband come round and bring half the chip shop back with them.
    I always end up cooking for masses, so my kitchen is covered with stuff prepped for the following day and impossible to cook in.
  • nickyhutch
    nickyhutch Posts: 7,596 Forumite
    Options
    We had an Indian takeout (delivered) for years, then 5 or 6y ears ago got ourselves invited to friends of my sister across the road for pie and pea supper. It's grown into a huge, busy gathering with more gorgeous, home cooked food (and wine) than you can imagine. A great new tradition ;-)
    ******** Never be a spectator of unfairness or stupidity *******
    "Always be calm and polite, and have the materials to make a bomb"
  • Sparkly_Lady
    Options
    We always have a lasagna with salad and garlic bread on Christmas eve. Its easy to prepare in advance and, assuming you cleared up earlier, creates very little washing up.
  • luxor4t
    luxor4t Posts: 11,125 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Photogenic First Post
    Options
    CH27 wrote: »
    We always have a buffet on christmas eve.
    The leftovers do us for nibbles for a couple of day after.

Snap.

I run round all day doing the prep for next day, and all the daft last minute stuff until 6pm.

We all change into red, sparkly or Christmas jumpers, DH warms up the buffet, I set out jolly holly paper plates and then we eat, talk, play games or watch seasonal dvds or tv until it is time to go to the candle lit Christmas carol service which ends at midnight.

We've done this since DS2 was old enough to stay awake long enough.
    I can cook and sew, make flowers grow.
  • MrsAtobe
    MrsAtobe Posts: 1,404 Forumite
    Options
    Ham, home made pineapple sauce, cauliflower cheese and a jacket spud. I actually look forward more to that than turkey on Christmas day.

You could then do a turkey and ham pie for Boxing day.
    Good enough is good enough, and I am more than good enough!:j

If all else fails, remember, keep calm and hug a spaniel!
  • pollys
    pollys Posts: 1,756 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Mortgage-free Glee!
    Options
    We always have crackers and cheese, hummus, dips and breadsticks, crisps, crusty bread, pizza, onion bahjis, samosas etc an easy buffet served on the coffee table and eaten round the fire.

Polly
    MFW 1/5/08 £45,789 Cleared mortgage 1/02/13
    Weight loss challenge. At target weight.
  • fairy3
    fairy3 Posts: 511 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper First Anniversary
    Options
    Another vote for chilli here - I start it on the 23rd then pop jackets in, do nachos with dips and rice on the day. Sits in a covered pan and everyone helps themselves. Leftovers sit in fridge for 'hangover and lazy food'.
    January 2020 Grocery challenge £119.45/£200 :)
    February 2020 Grocery challenge £195.22 /£200
    March 2020 - gone to pot...
    April 2020 - £339.45/£200
    May 2020 - £194.99/£300
  • Pooky
    Pooky Posts: 7,023 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    We're another buffet family here - HM sausage rolls, a bowl of HM coleslaw (left overs get used on boxing day with cold meats), cheeses, pickles, a big plate of veg chunks for dipping into dips (HM peanut satay, curried mayo and some apple chill jam if we have any left from earlier in the season).

I always cook my Christmas meats on Christmas eve and get the veg prepped so it's nice not to have to cook (and it's easy to clear up a few platters and plates) We normally play a game whilst we're picking or watch a film.....it's part of our Christmas tradition and has been since DD's were tiny - they're now 16 and 19 and I'd dare not change it, they love it.
    "Start every day off with a smile and get it over with" - W. C. Field.
  • CAT££
    CAT££ Posts: 341 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Hi

We have a few slices of Christmas ham, jacket potato and either cauliflower cheese or braised red cabbage.

**LO braised cabbage goes with our Christmas dinner, and LO ham gets made into a turkey & ham pie on boxing day**
    Cat :wave:
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport