We'd like to remind Forumites to please avoid political debate on the Forum. This is to keep it a safe and useful space for MoneySaving discussions. Threads that are - or become - political in nature may be removed in line with the Forum’s rules. Thank you for your understanding.

Do you earn more or less than the rest of the UK?

Options
13»

Comments

• gingerdad
    gingerdad Posts: 1,919 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Should note that Copeland doesn't only include Sellafield but also includes BAE systems that also pays a decent wage.

BAE systems is in Barrow not Copeland
    The futures bright the future is Ginger
  • InsideInsurance
    Options
    quidsy wrote: »
    I earn more than City of London Average but still slightly less than men according to that sheet. Off to see the boss about a pay rise.

Plenty of Pret and Eat staff in the City pulling down those banker's bonuses
  • XRAT
    XRAT Posts: 240 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    City of London, only a Grand a week??? It just goes to show each office worker must have a whole team of cleaners to drag that average down.
    Bonuses and expenses clearly aren't included then!
  • noelphobic
    noelphobic Posts: 2,297 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Until the end of June last year I was about 3k above the local average (female, employed full time). Commuting costs tiny - office about 3 miles away, free car park on site. Final salary pension scheme, up to 6 months full sick pay, 6 weeks holiday per year plus option to 'buy' an extra week, flexi-time (earliest start 7.30, latest finish 6ish, in theory could take up to 2.5 hours for lunch, start 9.30, finish 3.30.)

Presently about 3k below the local average (still female - last time I looked - now employed part time). Commuting costs astronomical, in relation to salary - office about 15 miles away, parking costs around £20 per week. Pension scheme not worth paying into. Working every evening.

Took voluntary redundancy from last job and reasonably generous package means money isn't the most important factor when looking for work. Much happier now and job satisfaction so much better.

For everything else, there's Mastercard. :D
    3 stone down, 3 more to go
  • starrystarry
    Options
    Interesting reading. I live & work in the same area and earn approx £10k above the average (or median or whatever it is) for full time workers.
  • aileth
    aileth Posts: 2,822 Forumite
    Options
    About £100-150 more a week than average FT female in our area, although I hardly live in a plush business city, probably have more Job Centres here than offices!
  • davetrousers
    Options
    XRAT wrote: »
    City of London, only a Grand a week??? It just goes to show each office worker must have a whole team of cleaners to drag that average down.
    Bonuses and expenses clearly aren't included then!

Exactly. Too many people seem to think that an average is somehow indicative of something. An average in isolation is an overly simplistic usage of statistics.

• Ozzuk
    Ozzuk Posts: 1,884 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    I earn a million times more than the average male, plus I have a spaceship. And my dad is bigger than yours.

(though actually, I've never met my dad so that last part could be wrong.).
  • topaztiger1983
    Options
    I earn way less than the average in Rotherham, but I am comfortable with what I earn
  • Sanne
    Sanne Posts: 523 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    Options
    £250 more a week than the average female (FT) and still £190 more than the average male (FT) - that's where I work.
    Nearly on £350 more than the average female (FT) in the district I live in - you can tell I'm working in a city (not London) but don't live there. Also, I'm certain the area I actually live in has got a higher income, judging by the properties being sold for between £1m and £2m so I'm sure it's dragged down by more deprived areas.

Though... we're renting and are paying significantly more than a lot of people pay on their mortgage, which would explain why others still seem to be better off!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 12 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 344.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.4K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450.1K Spending & Discounts
  • 236.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.7K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.6K Life & Family
  • 248.9K Travel & Transport