🗳️ ELECTION 2024: THE MSE LEADERS' DEBATE Got a burning question you want us to ask the party leaders ahead of the general election? Post them on our dedicated Forum board where you can see and upvote other users' questions, or submit your suggestions via this form. Please note that the Forum's rules on avoiding general political discussion still apply across all boards.

Do you earn more or less than the rest of the UK?

Options

Comments

• InsideInsurance
    InsideInsurance Posts: 22,460 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 26 November 2014 at 3:23PM
    Options
    tir21 wrote: »
    Which gives the biggest number

Average or median?

It can be either. Average normally means the mean average number so you add them all up, divide by the count of numbers and you get the mean average.

For median average you write all the numbers in order and pick the middle one. If its an even number of numbers then you take the mean average of the middle two.

The "advantage" of median is that your results are not as skewed by the extreme values, in this case main the people who earn £200m+ a year that can significantly increase the numbers in a small local authority. So with Adur with just under 60,000 people that one persons salary increases the annual average by £3,333 under mean but under median it moves it just one place to the right and will make pennies difference

The headlines say it is based on where the people work and not where they live. I am curious to how they have identified the place of work for people, particularly for the likes of the City of London where clearly very few people who work there live anywhere close by.
  • Hedgehog99
    Hedgehog99 Posts: 1,425 Forumite
    Options
    tir21 wrote: »
    Which gives the biggest number

Average or median?

Three types of average: mean, median & mode.

For things like this, the mode would be good because it's the number that occurs the most, e.g. you could have lots of people on 16k, some on 10k, a few on 6k and several on 100k. If you used the mean, the 100k could skew it so we all looked like we were getting more than we are.
  • agrinnall
    agrinnall Posts: 23,344 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    I earn more than the average in the area where I live but less than the average for the area where my nominal workplace is. What I'm interested to know is why salaries in Copeland (a LA I've never even heard of) are so high, is it because of Sellafield?
  • gingerdad
    gingerdad Posts: 1,919 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Its interesting if you look at Copeland (the red in north west) how one very large empolyer can squew (?) the figures...

as its one of the poorest areas in the country but with one of the highest average salaries for people working in the district (very few of these live in Copeland)

the employer?

Sellafield
    The futures bright the future is Ginger
  • gingerdad
    gingerdad Posts: 1,919 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    agrinnall wrote: »
    I earn more than the average in the area where I live but less than the average for the area where my nominal workplace is. What I'm interested to know is why salaries in Copeland (a LA I've never even heard of) are so high, is it because of Sellafield?

cross posted but yes its sellafield - very few of the workers at sellafield live in copeland, but its amazing how many times the district comes up as the best place to live, as housing costs very low
    The futures bright the future is Ginger
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    These things are always rubbish because they ignore peoples assets and don't include self-employed (who often use accountants to skew their income to reduce tax)
  • Ebe_Scrooge
    Ebe_Scrooge Posts: 7,320 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Mean average is often misleading, because extreme values skew the average.

For example, most people have 2 legs. Some people have 1 or no legs. So if you have 2 legs, you have "more than the average number of legs", since the mean average would be something like 1.9999 legs. This is why median or mode is often more representative.
  • killick_becki
    Options
    Should note that Copeland doesn't only include Sellafield but also includes BAE systems that also pays a decent wage.
  • quidsy
    quidsy Posts: 2,181 Forumite
    Options
    I earn more than City of London Average but still slightly less than men according to that sheet. Off to see the boss about a pay rise.
    I don't respond to stupid so that's why I am ignoring you.

2015 £2 saver #188 = £45
  • szam_
    szam_ Posts: 642 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Above median average, which is a surprise actually.
    Professional Data Monkey

This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 10 Election 2024: The MSE Leaders' Debate
  • 343.9K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.3K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 450K Spending & Discounts
  • 236K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 609.3K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.4K Life & Family