Help with tax evasion investigation.

Options

Comments

• bluelass
    Options
    My friend has said they have posted pics and on timeline on facebook about doing gigs and parties for a few years. Could the HMRC use this as evidence? The person who made the tip off has mentioned this to them.
    Britain is great but Manchester is greater
  • antonic
    antonic Posts: 1,977 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    bluelass wrote: »
    My friend has said they have posted pics and on timeline on facebook about doing gigs and parties for a few years. Could the HMRC use this as evidence? The person who made the tip off has mentioned this to them.

Yes,

HMRC staff have access to social media sites.
  • le_loup
    le_loup Posts: 4,047 Forumite
    Options
    My friend has said they have posted pics and on timeline on facebook about doing gigs and parties for a few years.
    This friend - if they exist - seems to be a bit of a prune. If you are going to cheat the system, you have to give it a it of thought!
  • lovinituk
    lovinituk Posts: 5,711 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    edited 28 November 2014 at 10:16AM
    Options
    This whole story sounds made up to me. How on earth would you know who made the tip off, let alone that they told HMRC about some Facebook posts.

Are you just attention seeking OP?

Edit to add - another of the OPs threads where they seem to know an awful lot about another supposed anonymous tip off - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5120357&highlight= !!
  • Pennywise
    Pennywise Posts: 13,468 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    If this is real, this guy has been caught. Now it seems they are trying to wriggle out of it, thinking about not declaring everything, etc., which is just going to make things worse. Once you're caught, it's time to hold your hand up, admit you were wrong and make FULL disclosure. Not just disclosure of what you think HMRC know about! Penalties are a lot higher if you don't make full disclosure. If there was, say £5k of tax underpaid, then penalties could well be as low as £2k if full disclosure and cooperation, but could be as high as £5k if they continue to lie and evade. That's a potential bill of £10k when it could have been only £7k effectively as punishment for continuing to lie and making more work for HMRC. When you're in a hole stop digging!
  • purdyoaten
    purdyoaten Posts: 1,159 Forumite
    Options
    None of this rings true to me. HMRC has certainly never revealed any details of information sources to me.
    There are 10 types of people in the world - those who understand binary and those who do not. :doh:
  • RuthnJasper
    Options
    I'm beginning to wonder if the OP is the vengeful ex who has done the reporting and is casting around to try and find out what the likely outcome might be... Forgive my cynicism, I'm just finding the slightly giggly posts and lack of any specific details slightly tiresome now. :(
  • bluelass
    bluelass Posts: 586 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    To those which are saying im the one who did the reporting you are very wrong on all levels. I never said in any of my posts that the HMRC revealed who the informant was. When my friend contacted them about the letter they (HMRC) said they had received information about a possible tax evasion and informed my friend they had seen evidence on my friends Facebook page as they had been told it contained details of gigs on the timeline. Not at any point did the HMRC reveal the gender or name of the informant but they do have to tell the accused a report has been made but will never under any circumstances reveal any details which could identify that person. And my friend is not male as many seem to think ladies can moonlight as well as men. And yes I think my friend should have declared this a while back after all I have to pay my tax and NI contributions like everyone else and I don't have a second income.
  • lovinituk
    lovinituk Posts: 5,711 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    I think you've lost yourself in your own story to be honest!
  • bluelass
    bluelass Posts: 586 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Pennywise wrote: »
    If this is real, this guy has been caught. Now it seems they are trying to wriggle out of it, thinking about not declaring everything, etc., which is just going to make things worse. Once you're caught, it's time to hold your hand up, admit you were wrong and make FULL disclosure. Not just disclosure of what you think HMRC know about! Penalties are a lot higher if you don't make full disclosure. If there was, say £5k of tax underpaid, then penalties could well be as low as £2k if full disclosure and cooperation, but could be as high as £5k if they continue to lie and evade. That's a potential bill of £10k when it could have been only £7k effectively as punishment for continuing to lie and making more work for HMRC. When you're in a hole stop digging!
    Pennywise who on earth said my friend was a man? I never mentioned gender in my posts.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.5K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport