Why?

Options
Why are taxis allowed in the bus lane and other commercial drivers are not?

Comments

• jenheiffer
    Options
    Ticked wrote: »
    Why are taxis allowed in the bus lane and other commercial drivers are not?

Because when people take a taxi they're leaving their car at home, same as when they go by bus.
  • Hedgehog99
    Hedgehog99 Posts: 1,425 Forumite
    Options
    Agree with Jen - Taxis are (an expensive form of) public transport.
  • Ticked
    Ticked Posts: 516 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    jenheiffer wrote: »
    Because when people take a taxi they're leaving their car at home, same as when they go by bus.

Ok, so if my neighbour leaves his car at home and I give him a lift, I can drive in the bus lane?
  • Cotta
    Cotta Posts: 3,667 Forumite
    edited 14 November 2014 at 12:33PM
    Options
    Ok, so if my neighbour leaves his car at home and I give him a lift, I can drive in the bus lane?

If you're a registered form of public transport then yes.
  • warmhands.coldheart
    Options
    Did they not trial this in a part of England where the bus lane or something could only be used by buses, Taxi's OR people with more than one person in it with the aim to reduce single occupancy car trips thus encouraging car sharing? I believe it had to be scrapped as people resorted to putting mannequins in the front seat to make it look like there were multiple people in the car ! :rotfl:
  • saverbuyer
    saverbuyer Posts: 2,556 Forumite
    Options

They have car share lanes in America. Shame it doesn't apply here.
  • warmhands.coldheart
    Options
    PS.
    And I wish they would bl00dy well enforce the no driving in Bus Lanes a bit better especially on the Ormeau Road !!
    And don't get me started on Urban Clearways.... I think car drivers are their own worst enemies over here. they are terrible for not following the rules of the road.... EG. there is a junction at the Ormeau Bridge on the way into Belfast and at certain times of the day a light comes on on the traffic lights to indicate NO RIGHT TURN... this is consistently ignored by drivers and it then creatres massive tail backs up the Ormeau Road... When they were doing the road works on the Ravenhill Road/Park Lane the DOE even had a HUGE flashy sign saying NO RIGHT TURN... it was ignored too consistently by drivers again causing tailbacks. these people should be fined or get points on their licence. They are a menace !!
  • saverbuyer
    saverbuyer Posts: 2,556 Forumite
    Options
    PS.
    And I wish they would bl00dy well enforce the no driving in Bus Lanes a bit better especially on the Ormeau Road !!
    And don't get me started on Urban Clearways.... I think car drivers are their own worst enemies over here. they are terrible for not following the rules of the road.... EG. there is a junction at the Ormeau Bridge on the way into Belfast and at certain times of the day a light comes on on the traffic lights to indicate NO RIGHT TURN... this is consistently ignored by drivers and it then creatres massive tail backs up the Ormeau Road... When they were doing the road works on the Ravenhill Road/Park Lane the DOE even had a HUGE flashy sign saying NO RIGHT TURN... it was ignored too consistently by drivers again causing tailbacks. these people should be fined or get points on their licence. They are a menace !!

Couldn't agree more. +100
  • Angry_Bear
    Angry_Bear Posts: 2,021 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    saverbuyer wrote: »
    They have car share lanes in America. Shame it doesn't apply here.
    They have a car share lane in Bristol.
    Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?
    ― Sir Terry Pratchett, 1948-2015
  • qwert_yuiop
    Options
    PS.

You are liable to fine and points if you do this. You need a police person there to enforce it though. A camera would do the job.
    “What means that trump?” Timon of Athens by William Shakespeare
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport