MSE News: Church of England proposes school savings clubs

Options

Comments

• WestonDave
    WestonDave Posts: 5,154 Forumite
    Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Chances are in many areas if this came in the local building society or credit union would do the actual admin - I don't think anyone is proposing that the church manages the funds etc.

Takes me back - I remember taking in money each week which got paid into a TSB savings account.
    Adventure before Dementia!
  • lazer
    lazer Posts: 3,402 Forumite
    Options
    I had a ulster bank henry hippo account in primary school in the 80's!
    Weight loss challenge, lose 15lb in 6 weeks before Christmas.
  • Archi_Bald
    Archi_Bald Posts: 9,681 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I wonder if they will have to pay FSCS levies....or even if the money will fall under the FSCS?

Who has heard of a dishonest priest......
    The proposal is that Credit Unions run this, and they are FSCS protected.

Not sure why they (schools) should not just get on with it, without waiting for a countrywide approach that will never take off. May be some do.
    Errata wrote: »
    Really? Isn't it the parent's responsibility to educate their children in the ways of the world?
    Unfortunately some of them didn't get/want the right education to be able to teach their kids about saving.
  • Errata
    Errata Posts: 38,230 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Archi_Bald wrote: »

Unfortunately some of them didn't get/want the right education to be able to teach their kids about saving.

For goodness sake, it's not rocket science!
    .................:)....I'm smiling because I have no idea what's going on ...:)
  • Pincher
    Pincher Posts: 6,552 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    Not that I have any children, but my lesson to them won't be to save to buy a house, and then save enough for a pension, because it would be lying to them and giving them false hope.

The lesson I would give is treat me nice till my last breath, otherwise you won't be in my Will.
  • callum9999
    callum9999 Posts: 4,392 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    puk999 wrote: »
    I am all for children getting better financial education. I feel this should be done state-wide as part of the national curriculum though.

The church is in the business of believing in invisible sky daddies, and pretending to be the moral authority based on an ancient and barbaric book. I'm not quite getting the correlation between them and personal finance education.

The cynic in me says the Archbishop has jumped on the current bandwagon of payday lending disgust for purposes of promoting his church as much as anything else.

I also wonder whether the CofE will collect together all the kids' £1s and invest it in weapons companies and Wonga like before?

Well that is the whole point of religion!
  • gettingtheresometime
    Options
    Did I dream this or did this actually happen when I was in primary school circa 1976?

I seem to remember buying National Savings stamps at school and then sticking them into a green shield stamp type booklet.....why not revive that scheme
  • jimjames
    jimjames Posts: 17,619 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Errata wrote: »
    Really? Isn't it the parent's responsibility to educate their children in the ways of the world?

Considering some can't even teach their kids to use the toilet, brush teeth or feed properly I think finance is pretty unlikely to be a priority.
    Remember the saying: if it looks too good to be true it almost certainly is.
  • Errata
    Errata Posts: 38,230 Forumite
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    jimjames wrote: »
    Considering some can't even teach their kids to use the toilet, brush teeth or feed properly I think finance is pretty unlikely to be a priority.

Possibly, but parents save every single day otherwise they'd blow all their wages the day they receive them and starve for the rest of the month.
    .................:)....I'm smiling because I have no idea what's going on ...:)
  • Pincher
    Pincher Posts: 6,552 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Options
    My parents were both university educated, and had fairly high status jobs, but they were useless! If I didn't tell them, they wouldn't have even done a will, and then he went cheapskate, and found some solicitor to do one for £99 (probably saw an ad in the local paper) behind our backs, and then we find he gave me a house that wasn't even in his name.

They were hoodwinked by double glazing salesmen, builders and estate agents all their lives, until I grew up and took charge. The only saving grace was that their civil service pension was very good, because they retired in the 1980s. It's pure luck that they didn't have much spare cash, and they actually got more than they paid in on a ten year Sun Life plan because the 80s had high inflation and so high returns.

They just ended up asking me every time they needed anything done in the end.

Educate me? It's the other way around, and half the time they don't really want to listen anyway.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure