MSE News: Church of England proposes school savings clubs

Replies

• SystemSystem Forumite
    177.9K Posts
    10,000 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭✭✭✭
    They will have to offer a Sharia-compliant option too.
  • Kendall80Kendall80 Forumite
    939 Posts
    Sixth Anniversary 500 Posts Name Dropper
    ✭✭✭
    bylromarha wrote: »
    Saving is just for kids at Christian schools then?

Maybe they can take a pound and make it into 5000?
  • puk999puk999 Forumite
    547 Posts
    Ninth Anniversary 500 Posts
    ✭✭
    I am all for children getting better financial education. I feel this should be done state-wide as part of the national curriculum though.

The church is in the business of believing in invisible sky daddies, and pretending to be the moral authority based on an ancient and barbaric book. I'm not quite getting the correlation between them and personal finance education.

The cynic in me says the Archbishop has jumped on the current bandwagon of payday lending disgust for purposes of promoting his church as much as anything else.

I also wonder whether the CofE will collect together all the kids' £1s and invest it in weapons companies and Wonga like before?
  • roxy28roxy28 Forumite
    670 Posts
    Ninth Anniversary
    ✭✭
    jjlandlord wrote: »
    They can do what they want at CoE schools, but they should stay well clear of state schools.

If a question about CoE schools say in a quiz, was asked i would have given the wrong answer about it being a state school, i thought it was----ah well.

Not likley to be asked anyway, just a bit of observation.
    :T
  • Torry_QuineTorry_Quine Forumite
    18.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 10,000 Posts Name Dropper Bake Off Boss!
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think this is a very good idea. The church is often accused of not looking after the needs of the local community and this is a perfect way of doing that.
    Lost my soulmate so life is empty.

I can bear pain myself, he said softly, but I couldna bear yours. That would take more strength than I have -
    Diana Gabaldon, Outlander
  • I wonder if they will have to pay FSCS levies....or even if the money will fall under the FSCS?

Who has heard of a dishonest priest......
  • patannepatanne Forumite
    1.3K Posts
    We had savings accounts back at school in the fifties too. This sounds great but the problem as usual will be that parents who are likely to save will encourage their children to save and those that don't save will not. Only education about money etc will actually make a real difference.
  • edited 13 November 2014 at 4:34PM
    jjlandlordjjlandlord
    5.1K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 13 November 2014 at 4:34PM
    bylromarha wrote: »
    Saving is just for kids at Christian schools then?

No, the Church of England is just for their members. (nice straw man argument by the way)

It is not appropriate for religious organisations, or political parties, to run activities in community/state schools.
  • ErrataErrata Forumite
    38.2K Posts
    10,000 Posts Combo Breaker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    puk999 wrote: »
    I am all for children getting better financial education. I feel this should be done state-wide as part of the national curriculum though.

[/URL]?

Really? Isn't it the parent's responsibility to educate their children in the ways of the world?
    .................:)....I'm smiling because I have no idea what's going on ...:)
  • jjlandlordjjlandlord
    5.1K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭
    Errata wrote: »
    Really? Isn't it the parent's responsibility to educate their children in the ways of the world?

No, it's the Church's :D
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides

54 ways to ‘DIY it’

According to the MSE Forum

MSE Team Blog

£10 Christmas bonus

For benefits recipients

MSE News

Lidl '£10 off £40 spend' voucher

Via Metro or Daily Mail. Excludes NI

MSE Deals