Solar Immersion Controls A SHADE GREENER

Options
Hi

I've recently had solar panels fitted by A Shade Greener, I have read all the discussions regarding the pro's and cons going this route, and by in large I am very happy with receiving the free electric and ASG getting the FIT payments etc.

My question relates to the fitting of a solar immersion control, whereby any surplus electricity generated would be routed to my immersion instead of being fed back into the grid.
Am i right in thinking that the export payment ASG receive is calculated as a percentage of the potential output of the system installed and not what is physically exported as a surplus.

I have contacted ASG, regarding whether they would permit me to have an Immersion Control fitted by a contractor, and I was told they do not recommend this as it would invalidate the contract, as they do not like 3rd parties wiring into their system.

Am I right in thinking the only contact with their actual system would be a clip on sensor to measure the current output of the panels, and the actual wiring would be to my own consumer unit and not to the small unit installed by ASG.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    Options
    Err... a diverter switch to the DHW tank immersion has no connection to the solar PV. Just a clamp at YOUR main electricity meter and a connection to YOUR immersion. Generally a simple DIY job if you are familiar with electrics...
  • Cardew
    Cardew Posts: 29,037 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post Rampant Recycler
    Options
    Am i right in thinking that the export payment ASG receive is calculated as a percentage of the potential output of the system installed and not what is physically exported as a surplus.

ASG get the FIT for all electricity generated and you can use all, or none, of that electricity in the house. Therefor what ASG claim for exported electricity is of no interest to you.
  • nerostjames
    nerostjames Posts: 2 Newbie
    edited 11 November 2014 at 6:18PM
    Options
    So going from the two replies received so far, am I right in thinking that

the fitting of a solarimmersion or immersun control or similar will not actually be wired into ASG's system, so therefore the contract would not be invalidated as their solar pv system would not be compromised in regards to third party installing a control.
  • Mister_G
    Mister_G Posts: 1,928 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    Yes, you are quite right. I have a Solarimmersion (other makes are available!) which is just wired into my consumer unit on the supply that feeds the immersion heater. The clip-on sensor just clips around the incoming mains cable feeding the CU.

None of this would be anything to do with ASG.

Maybe they are worried that when (if!) Smart Metering comes in and export units can be monitored, then they may loose out on the export amount - which is currently deemed as 50% of your generated amount.
  • Ashadegreener_representative
    Ashadegreener_representative Posts: 23 Organisation Representative
    Options
    Hi,

You're free to use the electricity generated as you see fit, once it has entered your meter it is yours to use without restriction. However, anything you use or install cannot be connected directly to our system or require it to be amended in any way.

So, providing that the appliance is not fitted to the ASG equipment, we have no objection to its usage.

I must stress that ASG cannot recommend the use of any appliance we have not tested thoroughly ourselves. It is down to the home-owners judgement whether or not a specific appliance would be suitable to their needs.

Hope this helps.
    Official Company Representative
    I am the official company representative of Ashadegreener. MSE has given permission for me to post in response to queries about the company, so that I can help solve issues. You can see my name on the companies with permission to post list. I am not allowed to tout for business at all. If you believe I am please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com This does NOT imply any form of approval of my company or its products by MSE"
  • doningtonphil
    Options
    Surely you would want the diverter only to work when you are generating more than you are using. If you are just monitoring the incoming supply and connecting in to the immersion. How do you know the panels have potentially exported juice that is available to use?
  • Mister_G
    Mister_G Posts: 1,928 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Combo Breaker
    Options
    The Solar Immersion that I have is clever enough to only divert excess power to the immersion when it being generated by the PV.

I believe that's the way the other makes do it as well.

After all, you must get something useful for your £250!
  • Richmc
    Richmc Posts: 146 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker
    edited 17 November 2014 at 11:55AM
    Options
    As somone who has used one of these for three years, and who helped design one I can squash a few myths and suppy some facts.

1) solar diverters are wired on "your side" of the consumer unit or fuse box. Nothing to do with where the inverter is.
    2)they do not affect your generation or feed in tarrif at all.
    3)They only run on EXCESS power that would be fed back to the grid, they do not consume power from the grid. If there is no excess they do NOT switch on, if theres not enough sun to heat your tank you will need to use your gas etc as a back up to top up the hot water.
    4)If you are generally out during the day, even a dull day will slowly heat your water.
    5)Some moden diverters can after the water is hot switch to a second load like a convection heater.
    6)use timers or get appliances that have switch on delays (dish washers/washing machines) and set them for whan the panels will be at there best, BUT remember washing machine on first as it only heats the water at the start of the cycle then set the dishwasher for 1/2 hour later as it heats water twice during its run.
    7) use a slow cooker they can be left on all day using between 70-100W so cook for free.
    8)diverters work by ballancing what comes from or goes to the grid, the net effect is a meter that dosn't move when its heating water.
    9) Get yourself somthing like an Eco Eye Smart PV so you can learn when its best to use apliances and choose when to do ironing etc, it will also keep track of how much your panels are earning for you.
    10) if you are handy with a soldering iron you can build a diverter for around £80, but it must be checked and installed by someone competant. Look for the "open energy forum"
  • niel477
    Options
    Hi there,

Need help. How do you run solarimmersion in relay mode? Has any one tried it? Please explain.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure