multifuel stove repair

Options
hi, I just bought a lovely 30s multifuel godin stove but it was dropped in transit and the top plate has broken. I've looked online for info on replacing parts of stoves etc, but all i can find is about replacing bricks and glass.

Has anyone ever had to replace a whole part for their stove, is it possible? I really want this stove in particular, it looks lovely!

Or, I'd be happy to get it welded back to life, but not if it wouldn't be safe.

Any experience or advice would be really appreciated, thanks!

Comments

• alleycat`
    alleycat` Posts: 1,901 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    I'm afraid that people that can weld cast iron well are few and far between.

If you can find someone in your locale it is possible to get it repaired. It's not a job for the faint hearted and it needs to be done properly or it will crack again once it comes under heat stress.

This is probably your best option.

As to spares. You could try the factory / foundry in France.
  • Greenfires
    Options
    I enquired about a replacement grate for a Godin Colonial stove for one of my customers. The chap at the UK importers told me to sit down before he told me the price!

I'd suggest that failing a repair, the cheapest bet is probably going to be looking for another stove for parts. As alleycat said - not many folks about who can weld cast iron to a good standard.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure