Are mid terraced houses to be avoided?

Replies

• HoraceHorace Forumite
    14.4K Posts
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The first house I lived in when I was married was a mid-terrace built in 1905, there was an entry one side so we didn't hear the neighbours on that side but we did on the other side (they never had a normal conversation they always shouted).

I now live in a small mid-terrace with a parking space outside, no drive way or garage, it has a large back garden and the front garden is moderate. I rarely hear my neighbours - I might hear the one side's washing machine at 2am (it sounds like a jet engine and I have my doors closed and sleep at the front of the house and their machine is at the back), other than that I don't hear anybody.

The house is warm too.
  • I appreciate you can have problem neighbours in any house but my experience of living in a terraced house is its hell and has put me off for life. But mine isn't 10 year old, its an old one. I have two friends in terraces who have experienced problems too - nice quiet neighbours on one side so you never hear them and the family from hell on the other so home feels like a prison.

I'd get a semi detached even if that meant waiting.

If only I could turn the clock back and take my own advice :(
  • edited 8 November 2014 at 3:32AM
    Old_GitOld_Git Forumite
    4.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Mortgage-free Glee! Cashback Cashier
    ✭✭✭✭
    edited 8 November 2014 at 3:32AM
    I inherited an old mid terrace house .Neighbours one side (next to the lounge) students ,neighbours the other side a family .No noise from the students the other side where like the family from hell .
    As for heating £70 per week .

The first house I bought was a 1930s mid terrace .Occasionally I could hear the neighbours having a shag but otherwise it was brilliant .I lived there for 6 years .
    "Do not regret growing older, it's a privilege denied to many"
  • Deep_In_DebtDeep_In_Debt Forumite
    8.6K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Photogenic Mortgage-free Glee!
    ✭✭✭✭
    I live in a mid terrace and have done for many years. I don't hear my neighbours unless they have loud music which is very rare.

I also can't park directly outside my house and like others have suggested, I just take in the shopping that needs to be taken in, lock the car and leave the rest until I go back out again.
    Debt 30k in 2008.:eek::o Cleared all my debt in 2013 and loving being debt free :)
    Mortgage free since 2014 :)
  • Loopy28Loopy28 Forumite
    463 Posts
    Thanks for your replies, I was starting to warm to the idea of this terraced house. However, I looked at the crime map and there have been a few antisocial behaviour reports during some months and this has worried me as it perhaps indicates that there is a problem neighbour somewhere.
  • Old_GitOld_Git Forumite
    4.7K Posts
    Part of the Furniture 1,000 Posts Mortgage-free Glee! Cashback Cashier
    ✭✭✭✭
    Loopy28 wrote: »
    Thanks for your replies, I was starting to warm to the idea of this terraced house. However, I looked at the crime map and there have been a few antisocial behaviour reports during some months and this has worried me as it perhaps indicates that there is a problem neighbour somewhere.

have a word with the local crime prevention officer ,They should know the score .
    "Do not regret growing older, it's a privilege denied to many"
  • I was wary of noise when we moved to a mid terrace last year - being a new build I though the noise insulation may be poor. We NEVER hear anything from our neighbours.

A few months ago the woman next door apologised in advance for her hen party and hoped we wouldn't be disturbed. We saw lots of guests arrive but never heard a peep - either very well behaved or the insulation is fantastic!

And so amazingly warm and toasty.
  • statorstator Forumite
    7.4K Posts
    Tenth Anniversary 1,000 Posts Combo Breaker I've helped Parliament
    ✭✭✭✭
    Could just be a fussy neighbour reporting silly things like "someone moved my bins"
    Changing the world, one sarcastic comment at a time.
  • Pete9501Pete9501 Forumite
    427 Posts
    HildaM wrote: »
    I was wary of noise when we moved to a mid terrace last year - being a new build I though the noise insulation may be poor. We NEVER hear anything from our neighbours.

Same here, can only suggest that far from being poor, recent building standards have ensured modern houses are well insulated and builders have learnt how to isolate noise from next door. Last weekend next door had a party, he said sorry on the Sunday morning. I gave him an odd look and asked why he was saying sorry, we never heard a thing.
    HildaM wrote: »
    And so amazingly warm and toasty.
    We are using 2/3rds of the gas compared to our previous 4 bed detached house that was insulated up the ying yang. We hope to move shortly to a 1925 property, its going to be cold as there is no insulation in the roof :(
  • weeblesimweeblesim Forumite
    36 Posts
    Seventh Anniversary 10 Posts Combo Breaker
    I thought I'd add my opinion. We were originally only looking to buy a semi detached or end terrace house, but eventually viewed a mid terrace and loved it. It was large, cheap and had character so it was a winner for us.

Regarding noise, one side we hear nothing from, the other side we can hear if they have an arguement or shout, but thats few and far between.

Parking can be a bit irritating, ours is on a busy road and has a popular chippy on it (also bad for the waist line!)

I always get shopping delivered, for the price of a monthly delivery saver its worth every penny :)
    Mortgage balance: £[STRIKE]79,061[/STRIKE], £72,400, £68,000 Feb 17
    Current MF date: Jan 2039
    Goal: MF by March 2020
This discussion has been closed.
Latest MSE News and Guides