Three choices in life; Give up, Give in or Give all you've got!!

Options

Comments

• please-let-me-be-lucky
    Options
    DH has been awarded his benefits again :j. 3 weeks post medical assessment, the letter has finally arrived. I didn’t really think they wouldn’t be renewed, but I’ve heard so many horror stories I didn’t want to count my chickens.

Halloween was great fun yesterday. We decorated the house and the boys carved some ace pumpkins. DS2 went out trick or treating with a friend and his Mum, while the rest of us stayed in to answer the door. DH was heard saying “take a couple of packets each” :eek: so he was then banned from giving out sweets for the rest of the night :rotfl:.

We used the tickets to the farm that I won today, and had a fab time. Even the grumpy teen thought it was great :T. We held small animals, fed meerkats, the boys bounced on trampolines, did spooky haunted trails etc etc. Would have been £38 for a family ticket :eek:, but brilliant value for £0 :D.
    Debts @ LBM £23,729.31. Debts @ 08/04/2016 £0 :j
    Best win so far - holiday to Florida
  • Chrystal
    Chrystal Posts: 1,852 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    Glad everything went well with DH benefits... agree that it can be dire getting them renewed sometimes. :eek:

Sounds as though the kids had a brill time and the farm sounds great... and fabulous value for £0 :D
    I Believe.....
    That it isn't always enough, to be forgiven by others.
    Sometimes, you have to learn to forgive yourself.

Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery
    Today is a gift. That's why it is called the present.

happiness isn't achieved by getting extra things,
    but by getting rid of the things that make you unhappy
  • beanielou
    beanielou Posts: 90,322 Ambassador
    Academoney Grad I'm a Volunteer Ambassador Mortgage-free Glee! Name Dropper
    Options
    :j :j :j :j :j :j :j
    I am a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on Mortgage Free Wannabe & Local Money Saving Scotland & Disability Money Matters. If you need any help on those boards, do let me know.Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any post you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button , or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own & not the official line of Money Saving Expert.

Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/14.**Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** MFW. Finally mortgage free O2/ 2021****
    "A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.

***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    ***Keep plodding*** Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    One debt remaining. Home improvement loan.
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    Great news on the benefits renewal and the free farm visit :T
    Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 😱 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017 :T 🎉
    EMERGENCY FUND 1 = £50/£5,000. EMERGENCY FUND 2 = £10/£5,000.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
    HOLIDAY MONEY = £0 TIME LEFT TO PAY OFF MORTGAGE = 5 YEARS 1 MONTHS
  • Bubblesmum
    Bubblesmum Posts: 1,710 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Fantastic benefit news

Farm visit sounds fab
    As a dear MSE friend says “keep plodding” or
    What does the saying say.... When life hands you lemons, crack open the Gin......
    Or as my Mum would instil, brush yourself down, tomorrow is another day or
    Fake it, to you Make It

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/discussion/5681736/dancing-through-the-rain-with-a-smile-and-good-cheer#latest
  • pennywisepoundstupid
    Options
    Glad to hear everything has gone smoothly regarding DH benefits.

Farm sounds fun, fantastic that it was free and grumpy teenager enjoyed it as well.

xx
    Mortgage Jan 2023 9yrs 11mths £61,389 Mortgage overpayment £1867/£3600 Mortgage Jan 2022 11yrs 6mths £69.996 Mortgage overpayment £3132/£3600
  • Sun_Addict
    Sun_Addict Posts: 21,308 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Thank goodness DH's benefits are sorted - and rightly so! Must be a big relief. Unfortunately the genuine cases have to suffer because of the benefit cheats and it's not fair. When Mr SA had to go for his assessment last year you could spot the malingerers in the waiting room straight off.

The free farm park visit sounds fab, glad everyone enjoyed it xx
    Christmas Savings 2024 £252.38/£600 April NSD:2 April Surveys £
  • please-let-me-be-lucky
    Options
    Thanks all :D.

Can’t sleep. DH is snoring, but really it’s the numbers whirring in my mind keeping me awake. We have around £40 to last 9 days which also has to cover food and diesel. I have transferred the £1.94 in my TCB account, cleared out the few pounds I’d left in Paypal, and yesterday I cashed out £50 from YouGov, but that takes up to 4 weeks to arrive so won’t help immediately. I have a bag of clothes DS2 has outgrown to weigh in, but will only get a pound or two. Have saved the better bits for ebay and will get them listed this weekend.

Out of ideas now :(.
  • pennywisepoundstupid
    Options
    Oh honey, can you raid any change pots? Have you any nectar points that could be used for groceries? Do you do E-rewards surveys they pay out in nectar points and go on your card within 24hrs. Have you any gift voucher that you can sell on ebay, I've sold homebase ones in the past and almost got the full value for them. I will rack my brain for more ideas.
    Mortgage Jan 2023 9yrs 11mths £61,389 Mortgage overpayment £1867/£3600 Mortgage Jan 2022 11yrs 6mths £69.996 Mortgage overpayment £3132/£3600
  • please-let-me-be-lucky
    Options
    Oh honey, can you raid any change pots? Have you any nectar points that could be used for groceries? Do you do E-rewards surveys they pay out in nectar points and go on your card within 24hrs. Have you any gift voucher that you can sell on ebay, I've sold homebase ones in the past and almost got the full value for them. I will rack my brain for more ideas.

Many thanks for such a thoughtful reply Penny. I don’t have a necter card as I never shop at Sainsbugs. I do have £40 of N3xt giftcards from my birthday that I could sell though. Thanks for the idea :beer:. I also found 5p while looking for the vouchers :money::rotfl:.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.3K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 248K Travel & Transport