Three choices in life; Give up, Give in or Give all you've got!!

Options

Comments

• please-let-me-be-lucky
    Options
    Thanks for that EE. I think I will see a mortgage advisor as our mortgage is small and I think we may be able to sort it so we pay it ourselves!

To explain, our mortgage was for approximately £150k when DH had his accident. Due to a :mad: loop hole, tha insurance people paid out around £130k not the whole mortgage amount. Our balance stands at just over £18k today and the monthly payment is £208, of which we paid £170 this month, so the SMI met the £38.
    I haven’t changed the mortgage in years because of everything that’s gone on and for fear of upsetting the apple cart. If DWP were no longer involved, I would hope that we could get a better deal for our remaining 9 year term?? I need to see if that’s possible and then I can make a more informed decision.

Beanie, I hadn’t heard of Dynamic Earth, so will look into that, thank you :A. A trip to Edinburgh wouldn’t be complete without a trip to the Hard Rock :D.

In other money news, I forgot to say yesterday that I went through top c@shback to book the hotel. It’s tracking at just over £12 :T. I also won £25 on the lottery last night :D.

Arg0s have sent me a £5 off voucher, no minimum spend. Will see if I can use that towards a Christmas gift.
    Debts @ LBM £23,729.31. Debts @ 08/04/2016 £0 :j
    Best win so far - holiday to Florida
  • Sun_Addict
    Sun_Addict Posts: 21,506 Forumite
    First Post Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary
    Options
    Is the mortgage thing just for those who get help from DWP? We don't get any help with mortgage costs.
    I get knocked down but I get up again (Chumbawamba, Tubthumping)
  • please-let-me-be-lucky
    Options
    Yes SA, it’s part of low income benefits. For us, it’s part of DH’s income related ESA Xx
  • Sun_Addict
    Options
    Thank goodness, nothing for me to worry about then. I did wonder why the government were getting involved with mortgages. Thanks for the clarification xx
  • Eager_Elephant
    Options
    Thanks for that EE. I think I will see a mortgage advisor as our mortgage is small and I think we may be able to sort it so we pay it ourselves!

To explain, our mortgage was for approximately £150k when DH had his accident. Due to a :mad: loop hole, tha insurance people paid out around £130k not the whole mortgage amount. Our balance stands at just over £18k today and the monthly payment is £208, of which we paid £170 this month, so the SMI met the £38.
    I haven’t changed the mortgage in years because of everything that’s gone on and for fear of upsetting the apple cart. If DWP were no longer involved, I would hope that we could get a better deal for our remaining 9 year term?? I need to see if that’s possible and then I can make a more informed decision.

PLMBL, you sound like you are in a good position to take on the whole mortgage payment.

I think a lot of people will be uncomfortable with having a debt secured on their home although I appreciate it is the only way for a lot of people.

I just hope people get the advice they need to make an informed choice.

I can see why the Government have done it but it will take a bit of getting used to for a lot of people.
  • please-let-me-be-lucky
    Options
    Thanks EE, totally agree. I understand it not being payable any more, but for most people it’s a no-option secured loan and that makes me very uncomfortable like you.

So I gained 3lbs today :(. DH ‘only’ gained half a pound. Just shows how much he burns off physically when he’s ill and having lots of seizures. He’s eaten WAY more junk than I have over the last fortnight. My metabolism is rubbish!

Been back to docs today for another injection into my foot. It hurt. A LOT. Much more than last time. Hope it works better this time. It’s aching and painful still, 10 hours later :(.

Car tax due. £147 for 6 months :eek:.
  • Sun_Addict
    Options
    Ouch to the foot injection. The skin is so thin on feet no wonder it hurt :(

Also ouch to the car tax. One thing I don't miss about not having transport is the expense involved.

Boo to,the weight gain - it's hard to keep on track when there's so much going off :(

Take care Lucky xx
  • mary_hinge
    mary_hinge Posts: 1,585 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker PPI Party Pooper
    Options
    ouch for the foot!

you will knock that 3lb next week easy I am sure!

Can you pay car tax on monthly DD like I do?

Lots of love

Mrs H x
    Living in a superhero induced haze :A:A
    "You did good Kidda!" :D
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    It would be good if you could take over the mortgage Lucky, it would be horrid if a loan was secured against it :(.

I hope the injection helps your foot, it sounds awful :eek:.
    Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 😱 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017 :T 🎉
    EMERGENCY FUND 1 = £50/£5,000. EMERGENCY FUND 2 = £10/£5,000.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
    HOLIDAY MONEY = £0 TIME LEFT TO PAY OFF MORTGAGE = 5 YEARS 1 MONTHS
  • Eager_Elephant
    Options
    Car tax due. £147 for 6 months :eek:.

Would you consider paying monthly as then it becomes a monthly direct debit rather than a lump sum to find every 6/12 months?

You pay a little bit more over the year but might be easier to manage smaller monthly payments.

When they introduced direct debit I was so pleased as a lot of my clients struggled to tax their car and would often cut back on their rent payment to be able to afford to tax the car.:eek:
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback