Great hunt: Downshifting on beauty products

Options

Comments

• DizzyDaisy_2
    DizzyDaisy_2 Posts: 1 Newbie
    edited 16 November 2014 at 5:38AM
    Options
    Thanks for some brilliant tips here. Will definitely be trying some.
    Here are a few of mine:

I've found the Lidl 'Cien' products good too.

Almond oil (which you can get quite cheaply in the 'cooking oil' section of supermarkets) is really good for lots of uses. As others have noted you can add essential oils or herbs for their scent and/or medicinal effects. Or decant into smaller bottles and make different concoctions as desired. It is very good for skin, hair, massage oil, and as a base for scented oils. Massaged into nails is excellent for nail condition and cuticles. I saw a tiny bottle of it being sold for about £4 in the Avon catalogue as a 'nail beautifier'.

Tins of vaseline lip therapy are cheap - especially in Poundstretcher! - and really good. I love the rosy lips one with rose and almond. It's slightly tinted and smells and feels great. The tins contain loads more than normal lip balms too. Also good on nails / cuticles.

I've always had 'difficult' hair (every day a bad hair day!) which is thin, fine, sparse, flat, straight, fragile and lifeless! I hate the idea of hair extensions, but have a weakness for 'volumising' products. Following extensive experimentation on a tight budget:

Tesco 'Girlz Only' dry shampoo looks tacky but is as good as Batiste, and better than the Aussie ones (even though I like that brand's conditioners.) I think I got one in Lidl that was good too, but can't find it again now.

The only volumising trick that makes a really significant difference is a root-crimping 'gadget' which looks a bit like a straightener. Think mine's called a 'Babyliss root boost'. It cost about £20 but works every time - takes 10 mins max to do my whole head. I just put any old 'heat protection' styling product in first to minimise damage. I use it on the lowest heat setting too.

This is going to sound mad, but I don't use shampoo any more - and it's great! Apparently very expensive 'non foaming conditioning shampoos' are all the rage now. So I experimented with using conditioner just like shampoo, and it was fine. Much kinder to the hair and scalp, and it does get the hair (literally) squeaky clean, but shinier. I just massage it well in, rinse, repeat. Am using up all my old half-bottles of conditioner now!

My friend who has very thick dry hair swears by coconut oil to tame it (and it certainly looks good.)

Avon Anew Age-Transforming Pressed Powder SPF 15 isn't megacheap (about £10) but is good and lasts well. I like a natural look, so it works for me as a substitute for foundation, concealer and powder. It covers mild dark circles, redness and uneven skintone and doesn't feel dry. I just slap some moisturiser on, let it sink in, then a quick light dust over with this, then press a bit more on to any visible 'blemishy' bits. (Or, if I'm running really late, I can skip the moisturiser!)
  • pavlovs_dog
    pavlovs_dog Posts: 10,200 Forumite
    Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Rimmel's 'stay blushed' is an affordable alternative to Benefit's benetint if you are in need of a buildable blusher.

Benetint has more of a glossy liquid formula so also works as a lip tint, whereas the Rimmel one is a creamier texture and so is best for cheeks. A little goes a long way.

http://www.boots.com/en/Rimmel-London-Stay-Blushed-_1376484/
    know thyself
    Nid wy'n gofyn bywyd moethus...
  • shandyclover
    Options
    Rimmel's 'stay blushed' is an affordable alternative to Benefit's benetint if you are in need of a buildable blusher.

Benetint has more of a glossy liquid formula so also works as a lip tint, whereas the Rimmel one is a creamier texture and so is best for cheeks. A little goes a long way.

http://www.boots.com/en/Rimmel-London-Stay-Blushed-_1376484/

Some shades of this are currently available in poundland, making it even cheaper! I bought one for cmas stockings.
    No buying unnecessary toiletries 2014. Epiphany on 4/4/14 - went into shop to buy 2 items, walked out with 17!

• donnac2558
    donnac2558 Posts: 3,610 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    I have mild roseaca and 99% of the products mentioned here are big no for me.

But Marks and Spencer own brand range is fantastic and does not upset my skin.

Make up brushes Zoeva a German brand available at Beautybay with free shipping, fantastic. They also do blushers for around £5 great quality and their eyeshadow palettes.
  • pixiebel81
    Options
    kteirvine wrote: »
    I continue to use Lancôme Hydra Zen Eye Gel and Moisturiser. Both items cost around £70 when purchased together. However I always time it right and buy these from Boots when Lancôme has its goody bag promotion (about 3 or 4 times per annum). The moisturiser lasts a full 3 months and the eye cream lasts around 6 months, since I need to use very little of them both.

I checked out this moisturiser on Boots, 50ml of product should last you a *lot* longer than 3 months, especially at that price!
  • faerielight
    faerielight Posts: 1,868 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Combo Breaker I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    I have bad rosacea and most foundations sting my skin and liquid foundations slide off my face when I have hot flushes, so I use E.L.F mineral foundation, it's so cheap, only£5.95 Elf have discount codes most weekends
    Many thanks to all who contribute on MSE :)
  • sam.4000
    sam.4000 Posts: 1,396 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    pixiebel81 wrote: »
    I checked out this moisturiser on Boots, 50ml of product should last you a *lot* longer than 3 months, especially at that price!
    I use about the same, I don't think it should last any longer. We all spend our money how we choose, espeically when there is a GWP.
  • pollypenny
    pollypenny Posts: 29,394 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Tesco Value hair mousse and hairspray are brilliant. About £1 and sometimes on 3 for 2.
    Member #14 of SKI-ers club

Words, words, they're all we have to go by!.

(Pity they are mangled by this autocorrect!)
  • jackstini
    Options
    Definitely going to try the using conditioner as shampoo tip.

I agree with the Aldi skincare range, especially the serum.

I always take the toiletries from hotels - feel they have been included in my room rate - I have not bought a bar of soap for years!

Buy cheap handwash and hand cream & decant it into my (nameless posh brand) bottles in the downstairs loo - no one has ever noticed

MUA eyeshadow from Superdrug for cheap fashion colours, 3 for a fiver

Don't go to salon for manicures/pedicures anymore - do it at home with Sensationail - costs under 2 pounds a go

If run out of hair serum, a bit of moisturiser, conditioner or bio-oil works

Baby oil on wet skin after showering instead of expensive moisturiser
  • Kim_kim
    Kim_kim Posts: 3,726 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    mathsus wrote: »
    If you are a fan of hot cloth cleansers and lust after the Liz Earle one (fab) then try this one from Superdrug: It's got the most gorgeous smell!

It's in a dingy green packaging and actually all the range is just great, I've found. I've never paid full price, it's often on a better deal than it is at the moment. Stock up when it's half price or less.

Could you write it please, as link isn't working for me, I just get a black page.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure