Flight Cancellation-Can I claim

Options
In 2011 we had flights booked via Air Europa from London to Miami, via Madrid.The flight from madrid to Miami was cancelled about 2 months before the flight, with the reason - 'Change of Season, no flights on that day'. Air Europa offered alternate flights the day before or the day after which we were unable to accept as had a cruise booked so would have missed and with the day before, had work and school commitments. we asked for a refund, which we got but was told it would take 2-3 working days. It took over 8 weeks to get the money. We had booked alternate flights with another company at an additional cost of £500 and because Air Europa did not refund us in the timescale initially stated, we had to borrow the money to pay for the new flights. I placed a claim to them and it went through to the CAA, who said that I had a valid claim but I had to send it to the Enforcement Body in Spain as that was where the cancelled part of the flight was departing. This I did but all I got was a reply saying case closed. I queried and asked for it to be reopened but no reply. So, do I have a case as the CAA in London said I did under Regulation EC261/2004. I only have copies of letters sent and email responses from the CAA in London. All flight details including booking details were sent in my initial correspopndence.
Any advice is welcome. Thanks

Comments

• Caz3121
    Caz3121 Posts: 15,550 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    lhill wrote: »
    The flight from madrid to Miami was cancelled about 2 months before the flight, with the reason - 'Change of Season, no flights on that day'. Air Europa offered alternate flights the day before or the day after which we were unable to accept as had a cruise booked so would have missed and with the day before, had work and school commitments. we asked for a refund, which we got

I cannot see how you would have a claim 3 years later.
    flights can be cancelled with 14 days notice given and no compensation due - you were given 2 months notice

The regulations state that you were due a rebooking or refund. You could have possibly pushed to be rerouted on another carrier as the flights offered were not acceptable but instead asked for a refund which you received
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.4K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.8K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.5K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.4K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.2K Life & Family
  • 248.1K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure