Premium Bonds Article Discussion Area

Options

Comments

• endless_2
    Options
    I live in South Africa and most of the high interest accounts are unavailable to me. I have 16000 in Premium bonds and 25000 in a HSBC online saver account. The HSBC account paid out a miserly 5 pounds interest for each of the months July and August whereas I had 4 prizes of 25 pounds in July and 3 of 25 pounds in August in respect of the premium bonds. Guess where most of my online saver account will go !!!

Alan R
  • Aegis
    Aegis Posts: 5,688 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    endless wrote: »
    I live in South Africa and most of the high interest accounts are unavailable to me. I have 16000 in Premium bonds and 25000 in a HSBC online saver account. The HSBC account paid out a miserly 5 pounds interest for each of the months July and August whereas I had 4 prizes of 25 pounds in July and 3 of 25 pounds in August in respect of the premium bonds. Guess where most of my online saver account will go !!!

Alan R
    Well, you do have one of the worse savings accounts on offer at the moment, somewhere in the region of 2.5-3.5% below the market leaders. You should probably consider those rather than something where you might end up with even less interest...
    I am a Chartered Financial Planner
    Anything I say on the forum is for discussion purposes only and should not be construed as personal financial advice. It is vitally important to do your own research before acting on information gathered from any users on this forum.
  • Jayno40
    Options
    I have had the full quota of premium bonds for 3 years and there has only been a few months when i haven't had a win.
    Sometimes i won £50 and sometimes £100 and sometimes I had more than 1 win a month.

I was happy with this and the wins kept me ticking over but.....
    Since March this year I have had nothing...... why??

I'm beginning to wonder if my luck is over and i should cash them in??
  • Feanixxx
    Feanixxx Posts: 15 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Options
    Jayno40 wrote: »
    I have had the full quota of premium bonds for 3 years and there has only been a few months when i haven't had a win.
    Sometimes i won £50 and sometimes £100 and sometimes I had more than 1 win a month.

I was happy with this and the wins kept me ticking over but.....
    Since March this year I have had nothing...... why??

I'm beginning to wonder if my luck is over and i should cash them in??

I'm thinking the same - last year I won £50 every couple of months or so, a total of £350 on holdings of £6000, which was a nice return. This year I've had one £25 win in six months. The 3.1% at the A&L is looking like a better place from my money.
    Of all the things I've lost, I miss my marbles the most.
  • edda
    edda Posts: 1,057 Forumite
    First Post
    Options
    sillenek wrote: »
    When PBs were first issued in the 1950s as staff we were given one every week, they were then £1 in value, and I suppose I have about 20 in all. I have never ever won a thing on them and quite frankly the numbers range never appear in the winning lists. To me they are a unique piece of paper which someday may be worth something as an antique who knows. When we first had them there was great excitement that maybe we could win something. I think I will frame them as a memento of that period.
    :beer::confused:
    What a great little story! I think holding on to them and framing them is what I would do in your position.
  • sean344
    sean344 Posts: 10 Forumite
    Options
    I want to start buying premium bonds but cannot afford the £100 initial payment, has anyone heard of a scheme where you can pay £25 a month for 4 months and then carry on as usual, I read it somewhere on the internet but cannot find it now.
    Thanks
  • ShelleyC_2
    ShelleyC_2 Posts: 1,500 Forumite
    Options
    I put 10,000 into PB over a year ago. Completely aware they were highly likely not to earn as much interest as tanywhere else. It was just an easy risk free place with a miniscule chance of a big win. Its also less hassle than my seemingly never ending shuffling to find highest interest for the rest of cash.

For those interested I've won once and a grand total of £50 :rotfl:
    Looking for the perfect home and saving to make becoming a MFW easier
    MFiT3 48103/50000 Saved So Far :j
  • Paul_Herring
    Paul_Herring Posts: 7,481 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    sean344 wrote: »
    I want to start buying premium bonds but cannot afford the £100 initial payment, has anyone heard of a scheme where you can pay £25 a month for 4 months and then carry on as usual, I read it somewhere on the internet but cannot find it now.
    Thanks

Can't you just put that money in a savings account, then buy every 4 months.

Though it sounds like you don't have any (substantial) savings anyway - are PB's necessarily the best place for your money?
    Conjugating the verb 'to be":
    -o I am humble -o You are attention seeking -o She is Nadine Dorries
  • SplanK
    SplanK Posts: 1,152 Forumite
    First Anniversary
    Options
    I put in £800 about 7 months ago - decided to put them there to stop me spending the money.... as soon as the new ISA year comes around - they are been withdrawn from NS&I and put straight into my ISA - complete waste of time really - although - it has stopped me spending the money lol
  • pimento
    pimento Posts: 6,243 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    I've just had my first win since 1960. £25.
    "If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." -- Red Adair
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.6K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.2K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.9K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.8K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.8K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.3K Life & Family
  • 248.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback