Staying with TalkTalk but halved my payments!

Options
After TalkTalk decided to whack my monthly payments up to a whopping £32 per month (from less than £20) when my contract ran out, I decided to move. Plusnet are doing a deal at the mo (through MSE) which would equate to £20.20 per month, to include:

Line rental £15.95 (rolling, we didn't want a 12 mth contract)
BB £2.50
Mobile calls £3
Anytime calls £5
Cashback £75

When I spoke to TalkTalk they decided they could do:

Line rental £0.00
Unlimited landline/mobile calls £7.50
Package £8.50
When we cancel next year, because we are moving abroad there will not be a cancellation charge because they don't provide services abroad.
We could have had the TV package for the same price but as we don't have a TV licence we said 'no' :)

Result!!! It pays to haggle.

:money:

Comments

• MataNui
    MataNui Posts: 1,075 Forumite
    Options
    Hope you have that in writing (or at least recorded the conversation). What TT sales people say and what they do are very different. In fact quite often what they say and what is technically possible can be very different.
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Moving abroad and cancel without penalty ???
    I would want that in writing as they will probably not let you break the contract without paying it off as it will be your fault you move . Next year you may well end up posting they said but now they are charging .
  • eddddy
    eddddy Posts: 16,443 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper
    Options
    In my opinion, the most effective way of making sure you get what you have been promised is to write to TT (rather than asking them to write to you), saying something like:

"Following our telephone conversation on xxth October, I confirm that we have agreed the following:

..."

When I did that, I got a reply confirming that what I said in my letter was correct. And later, when they tried to overcharge me, I referred to the letter and got a refund.
  • info_addict
    Options
    eddddy - do you have the address of whom you wrote to?

I have recently transferred from AOL to Talk Talk, after having been with AOL for many many years. This year they weren't interested in retaining me with a good offer and would only offer something reasonable if I went to Talk Talk. They even told me that pretty soon all AOl customers will be transferred over to Talk Talk anyway.

I managed to negotiate:

12months line rental free
    Simply Broadband - £3.50
    Anytime Calls Boost - £5.00
    Connection Fee - Waivered

They advised me to ignore all mail and emails I received containing the normal package fees, as I was on a Special deal.

However, having read about Talk Talk customer services, I have endeavoured twice over the last week to get my "Special Deal" confirmed by email. Despite many reassurances from AOL confirming I have been given the above rates, no confirmation email has yet arrived.

This leaves me somewhat twitchy, especially when I log onto my Talk Talk account and view my estimated bill which shows £15.95 Line rental and a £30 connection fee, due.

It seems to me that whilst AOL and Talk Talk are the same operation, the different departments aren't communicating with each other. So a letter to them seems to be my best option.

Thanks
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport