Stocks and Shares ISAs'

Options
I am looking at maybe Cavendish online, HSBC or Hargreaves Lansdowne to do a S and S ISA from April 2015. I am considering an index tracker or maybe an ETF.

We are planning to retire in 2018 when I am 58 and my husband is 60 and have pensions, cash isas and emergency savings. No debts or mortgage outstanding.

Any suggestions for a fund - should I look at global or just UK FTSE and links to advice and guidance would be much appreciated?

I am not prepared to accept a lot of risk but will accept some but if I was doing a monthly payment rather than a lump sum I think I could look on it as a 8-10 year investment. Apparently it is better to do that if you are risk averse as it spreads the risk rather than a lump sum. I lost some money on a Barclays investment unit trust quite a few years ago and it has taken me some time to even consider stocks and shares again but savings rates are so pitiful that if we are to have a comfortable retirement we need to make our savings work better. I am also thinking that we should diversify rather than just high paying current accounts and fixed rate cash isas.

Thoughts or suggestions from anyone?
I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Comments

• colsten
    colsten Posts: 17,597 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    There are thousands of funds you can select from;you need to construct a portfolio of one or several funds that you feel comfortable with. May be look here to start with.

You need to keep your costs down whatever you select, both for the funds and for the platform. HSBC and HL aren't necessarily the best choice. Again, look here for some ideas, or browse the forum for reports about platform providers.
  • enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,594 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Thanks Colsten and I will certainly check those links out.

Cavendish online is one which appears on the link as a low cost platform for small investors and I have been reading about them elsewhere. I have come across a Vanguard Lifestrategy 60% equity fund which is medium risk 60%stocks and 40% bonds which looks interesting. It does include emerging markets though which may be too risky for me. Any experience of Vanguard funds or Cavendish online as a broker anyone?
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • colsten
    colsten Posts: 17,597 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    There's a very long Vanguard LS thread on the Savings board, and Cavendish is also mentioned from time to time over there.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure