Plusnet Router and Access Control

Hello

I am considering moving to Plusnet from BT.

Can anybody tell me what access controls the Plusnet router has. At the moment we are able to restrict the kids internet access to certain times of the day using the BT HH4. We do this by MAC number. Can the Plusnet router do the same thing? Where in the menu system is it?

Many thanks

Comments

• Hedgehog99
    Hedgehog99 Posts: 1,425 Forumite
    Has Plusnet told you the model of router they will send you? When I signed up with them (ages ago) there was info on their website about the tech spec of the router I'd receive.
  • espresso
    espresso Posts: 16,446 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Simply continue to use your BT Hub.
    :doh: Blue text on this forum usually signifies hyperlinks, so click on them!..:wall:
  • Hedgehog99 wrote: »
    Has Plusnet told you the model of router they will send you? When I signed up with them (ages ago) there was info on their website about the tech spec of the router I'd receive.

I am assuming it is the Technicolor 582n. I have tried looking on the website but I don't seem to be able to find anything about MAC filtering or access control.
  • espresso wrote: »
    Simply continue to use your BT Hub.

Thanks espresso, can i do this? I thought the BT Hubs were locked to BT.
  • espresso
    espresso Posts: 16,446 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Thanks espresso, can i do this? I thought the BT Hubs were locked to BT.

Yes, follow these instructions.

First a word of caution: the Homehub 1 is locked down to BT Retail; it can be unlocked but doing this is at your own risk. Sorry we can't provide guidance for this here.
    Note: If your Homehub has previously been used on a BT service, you may find that it is broadcasting as a WiFi hotspot such as BT-WIFI or BT-FON. To disable this you need to do a factory reset. With power on press the reset button on the back of the Hub using a paper clip or similar and hold for 20 seconds. Your Hub lights will go out and your Hub will restart.
    1. Connect your computer to the BT Homehub using an Ethernet cable or via Wi-Fi
    2. Open your preferred browser and type or paste http://bthomehub.home - or - 192.168.1.254 into its address bar
    3. If you have logged on to the Hub settings before enter your password. If not enter the admin password (found on a pull out card on back of the Hub). If you are prompted to enter a new password (a preferred one) follow the prompts to do so
    4. Click Settings (along top tabs) then at the bottom you will see 'Enter your Broadband username and password (for non BT Total Broadband customers)'
    5. Click on that item and you will see two lines
      Username - [EMAIL="bthomehub@btbroadband.com"]bthomehub@btbroadband.com[/EMAIL]
      Password -
    6. Change these to your broadband username and account password, ie
      Username - <yourplusnetusername>@plusdsl.net (don't include the <>)
      Password - The password you used to sign up to Plusnet
    That's it your Homehub should now connect to Plusnet.

Hope this helps!
    :doh: Blue text on this forum usually signifies hyperlinks, so click on them!..:wall:
  • Great, thanks espresso. I think we will go with Plusnet so fingers crossed I get the HH4 to work. Otherwise I may need to buy an separate router.
  • davey4444
    davey4444 Posts: 140 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    The Technicolor 582n definitely has the ability to restrict access to MAC addresses and (if I can remember correctly) can schedule when wifi is available.
  • davey4444 wrote: »
    The Technicolor 582n definitely has the ability to restrict access to MAC addresses and (if I can remember correctly) can schedule when wifi is available.

Thanks Davey. There is very little in the way of detailed documentation on the Plusnet website which I find strange.
  • Yes, after logging in to the router it's in "Toolbox" then "Parental Controls".
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure