Mobile Company 3 using a Debt company called C.A.R.S to chase me for money

About 14 months ago I bought a temporary wireless thing to use when I moved into my new home whilst my proper broadband supply got sorted out. It was with the mobile company 3 and it was a monthly rolling contract so I could cancel with one months notice at anytime. I only planned to use it for the first month until my proper broadband went live and I did really only use it for a month and then I put the thing a way and never used it again. After I continued to pay each month for about 6 months after me not using it anymore, I decided to cancel my Direct Debit as I had problems calling 3 and waiting so damn long for them to answer. Since then I have been continually harrassed by phone calls and letters by 3 and more recently a company called C.A.R.S recovery services telling me I owe them £32. I have just been ignoring the letters and phone calls but I am worried as the last letter says that this is my final warning and if I don't pay then I they will take me to court. Do you think this is likely? On another matter I do want to say that I think I have been harrassed as 3 were calling me at least 10 times a day leaving automated messages and now this C.A.R.S have been calling me same amount of times and they have called from landline and mobile numbers and I have checked each one online and it is them. Many thanks.

Comments

• masonic
    masonic Posts: 23,270 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    So the gist of this is that you didn't cancel the contract because you couldn't be bothered to wait on hold, but instead cancelled your payments while leaving the contract in place, and now they are making a huge effort to get in touch you don't want to speak to them and would rather have your credit file trashed? and all for the sum of £32?
  • Wow thanks masonic, that was a really helpful reply:money:
  • masonic
    masonic Posts: 23,270 Forumite
    Photogenic Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Nick1042 wrote: »
    Wow thanks masonic, that was a really helpful reply:money:
    I'm glad you found it useful. Now, perhaps by speaking to these people you can clear the situation up.
  • perhaps...

still waiting for someone to actually answer my original question in my post
  • tomtontom
    tomtontom Posts: 7,929 Forumite
    Nick1042 wrote: »
    perhaps...

still waiting for someone to actually answer my original question in my post

Your question has been answered on one of your other threads - there is no reason why the collection agency will not issue a claim against you.
  • masonic wrote: »
    So the gist of this is that you didn't cancel the contract because you couldn't be bothered to wait on hold, but instead cancelled your payments while leaving the contract in place, and now they are making a huge effort to get in touch you don't want to speak to them and would rather have your credit file trashed? and all for the sum of £32?

This is correct, OP. You can't just cancel a direct debit and refuse to pay without first contacting 3 to give notice of cancelling the contract. I'm sure if you didn't want to wait on the phone you could have sent them a letter.

As far as I can see 3 has you banged to rights and if they did take you to court they'd probably win. If this escalates you might also be liable to pay other charges.

You're going to have to either start talking to 3/ CARS to sort it out or pay up.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure